Hardware Router questions

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As of lately, my home network has been suffering a major amount of lag. It started occurring when our internet provider (for the dutchies with us: Ziggo) decided to raise our internet speeds. They've done this about 2 times before, and it has been good, until they updated our Network speed to a whopping 50 mbits/s. It might sound good but there is a downside: my internet isn't working properly at all. So I will break down what's happening:

Internet speed which is measured by speedtests are reporting a 12mbits/s, which isn't the speed we were promised. So boktor's calling the helpdesk and (as expected) they've advised me to disconnect the router and hook my computer (as well as others in our place) directly to my modem. You see, that's what's the problem, the modem connection (modem->computer) is fast, around 50-56 mbits/s.
When I hook my computer up to the router, it's about 12 or even lower, sometimes, the speedtests can't even initialize. I mean, come on....
So the router might be the problem, which wouldn't be weird...

So our connection type at home is a wired LAN cable network, consisting of 3 computers being hooked up to one router, a Sitecom one which allows speeds of 10-100mbits/s. I can't find a typenumber anywhere, as it isn't printed on it, but it's about 6-7 years old by now.

My theory is that the router can't handle the new speed. But I'm not sure why... My theories for that are:

1) The router can't split 3x50mbits/s (With this, I mean that the router isn't capable of having 3 connections, having 50mbits/s (3x50=150), exceeding the 100mbits/s limit)
2) The router is stinky and old and is due for replacement (shouldn't be that much of the cause, it has been working properly untill the provider decided to boost our speeds)
3) Little dwarfs in LAN cable sabotaging the internets (theory of a drunk friend of mine)
4) Something is bothering the connection, like something that has been changed in settings (We usually don't change settings, but something might have been screwed up since the speed got boosted)

Obviously, I know a lot about computers themselves, but I'm a complete retard when it comes to networking... yes I know, it sucks. So what might be wrong, do ya guys have any idea?

Thanks in advance :D

PS: internet is so slow, it takes ages to load the Temp, and I can't allow that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) Is not how networks work- think of it like running a tap (if you only have a trickle coming in you are not going to get a geyser out of the taps but adding more to them). It might be related to the ones below and it being unable to handle a 50 Mbps connection going into the uplink (got a different coloured or otherwise notably different port you "have" to put the cable modem into?- you probably should and many will require it but give another port a try). Earlier and cheaper types of networks have a kind of related problem but even on home gear and gear of this vintage it should be a thing of the past (if you want to look it up see the difference between a switch, a hub and a router).

1a) I assume you already checked to see if the other two machines are not on and downloading loads of stuff (or have a virus that does the same).

2) Most likely in my experience. Easiest will be to replace the whole thing really but you can try firmware updates and fiddling with options. Not sure what options a device of that vintage will allow but QOS/quality of service, firewall and routing options/dmz are usually the causes for concern- cheaper routers like most of the sitecom gear tend to say one thing but put it in a situation where it brushes up a against limits for a while (which most people will not) and then watch it fall over (it is another reason companies pay very good money for network gear that on the face of it is not that different from home user stuff)- there was a nice run of them when torrents got popular and older home routers could not handle the large amount of connections that come with the protocol.
For what it is worth good new wired routers are not that expensive and by all means keep the old one- if you know about computers but networks are not really your thing I would advise learning and if you can set a test one up to play with that is even better as being general computer type that is unable to handle networks is rather limiting now and will only get worse as time goes on (learn the basics of DCHP, port forwarding/firewalls, domains/workgroups and I guess nowadays homegroups, subnets, addressing/private addresses and maybe DNS and you will be able to sort most problems/set up most networks adequately).

3) I have seen flaky cables cause massive slowdown (get a dodgy connection somewhere* and watch it grind to a halt) and you probably just took the end of your long cable and stuck it in the modem thus dodging the issues.

*usually ends need redoing (if it is small just replace the cable) or sharp corners somewhere broke it but occasionally rats/mice or cats (they love chewing on cables) cause fun here.

4) Also possible and it occurring when they try to wring an extra bit of speed out of the connection is a more common time than any other but if going straight into the router does the trick then probably not.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1) Is not how networks work- think of it like running a tap (if you only have a trickle coming in you are not going to get a geyser out of the taps but adding more to them). It might be related to the ones below and it being unable to handle a 50 Mbps connection going into the uplink (got a different coloured or otherwise notably different port you "have" to put the cable modem into?- you probably should and many will require it but give another port a try). Earlier and cheaper types of networks have a kind of related problem but even on home gear and gear of this vintage it should be a thing of the past (if you want to look it up see the difference between a switch, a hub and a router).

1a) I assume you already checked to see if the other two machines are not on and downloading loads of stuff (or have a virus that does the same).

2) Most likely in my experience. Easiest will be to replace the whole thing really but you can try firmware updates and fiddling with options. Not sure what options a device of that vintage will allow but QOS/quality of service, firewall and routing options/dmz are usually the causes for concern- cheaper routers like most of the sitecom gear tend to say one thing but put it in a situation where it brushes up a against limits for a while (which most people will not) and then watch it fall over (it is another reason companies pay very good money for network gear that on the face of it is not that different from home user stuff)- there was a nice run of them when torrents got popular and older home routers could not handle the large amount of connections that come with the protocol.
For what it is worth good new wired routers are not that expensive and by all means keep the old one- if you know about computers but networks are not really your thing I would advise learning and if you can set a test one up to play with that is even better as being general computer type that is unable to handle networks is rather limiting now and will only get worse as time goes on (learn the basics of DCHP, port forwarding/firewalls, domains/workgroups and I guess nowadays homegroups, subnets, addressing/private addresses and maybe DNS and you will be able to sort most problems/set up most networks adequately).

3) I have seen flaky cables cause massive slowdown (get a dodgy connection somewhere* and watch it grind to a halt) and you probably just took the end of your long cable and stuck it in the modem thus dodging the issues.

*usually ends need redoing (if it is small just replace the cable) or sharp corners somewhere broke it but occasionally rats/mice or cats (they love chewing on cables) cause fun here.

4) Also possible and it occurring when they try to wring an extra bit of speed out of the connection is a more common time than any other but if going straight into the router does the trick then probably not.
I get the feeling its simply that the router can't handle the speed. The CPU or RAM might be insufficient inside the router.

So after all the comments, I've been trying to go around and fix it..
I tried all of your solutions Fast, but neither of them worked. Seems like the Router met it's final days..

Today, we went to the store and bought a -not really happy, but still it works awesome- Sitecom router, 300mbits/sec, able to handle both LAN and WLAN, secured with WPA-2 PSK i believe. 3ds can finally go wi-fi, as well as my ps3, so to you guys, I have to say thanks for your time to help me, but I wasn't able to save the old bugger. The new one is good, fast, and even shiny. So I'm happy.

Funfact: the ziggo speedtest (speedtest.ziggo.nl) tells me i have 224 ms... Leauge of Legends thinks otherwise, and gives me a nice amount of 23 ms.. Welp. but it works, the temp is loading once again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.