Gaming Router Issues

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I'm in any room in the house, the WiFi works great. the moment I bring my laptop into the same room as the router, or put the Wii in the same room, I have connection issues. With the Laptop, I just get DC'd over and over again.

With the Wii, it's strange; On Call of Duty: Black Ops, I'm able to get online, but the moment I try to join a game, it wont find one, and if it does, I play for 5 mins. and get disconnected. . .

Any reason why this could be happening?

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well the router is on my computer desk, the laptop is usually sitting right beside the router, and the wii is at the other end of the room with the T.V, but it's not very far still. . . I'd say about. 2 foot steps away haha

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Looks like Wireless G....
The only thing I can recommend before I could say anything else is making sure there's nothing blocking the antenna, make sure the antenna isn't damaged, and update the firmware on the router.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sonknuck23 said:
Well the router is on my computer desk, the laptop is usually sitting right beside the router, and the wii is at the other end of the room with the T.V, but it's not very far still. . . I'd say about. 2 foot steps away haha
My guess is you're too close.
Can you move the router somewhere else? like ontop of a bookshelf or something?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
All I can recommend is that you try power cycling it (unplug, wait 30 seconds, plug back in), or try changing the channel the wireless operates on. Perhaps there's something in that room causing interference, or do what twiztidsinz said and try moving the router.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is Channel 6 better than channel 1? maybe it's no biggie, but I just recall seeing channel 6 somewhere. Maybe something in here is running on the same channel causing interference? I don't know.

Either way, I appreciate all of your help (well, the 2 of you haha) and I'm trying everything you've mentioned. Thanks a lot.
smile.gif

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It shouldn't matter which channel you pick, as long as you remember it in case your wireless devices stop working and you need to manually change the channel on those. Changing it to Auto (if possible) would be advisable. Otherwise, try some other channel. Channel 1 is the most common one if I recall correctly....

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originally, you were able to change the channel to avoid signal interference from other things on the 400/800MHz bands, such as cordless phones. But with the 2400MHz (2.4GHz) band, and the rise in the popularity of cellphones, it's not needed as much so often times you get locked to channel 6.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I actually just had to change the channel on my router last night. I wasn't getting a good signal anywhere, and it was on Auto. Setting it to a fixed channel (think I used 3 or something) fixed the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night