Zaiga

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I recently bought a D-Link 2310 Wireless Router to go with my Laptop. And I let the people at Futureshop set it up for me since I had no idea what to do. But now, when I try to get a connection with my Wii, it keeps failing. I'm able to find the access point, but the connection test always fails. I've looked on the Nintendo support site, but it couldn't help me. When I go to the settings (http:192.168.0.1), and I type in the default username, (which should be "admin") and the password should be blank. But it doesn't let me login and I have no idea why. Help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out the password and I finally got into the settings. But even after I changed the wireless channel to 11, I still couldn't connect to it. And the MAC filtering thing is confusing too.. Is that supposed to be on or off?

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they changed the password on you, it might be a firewall, or the open port the Wii requires is not working(I'm not too tech smart so I might be wrong)

I have a D-Link DI-524 and it works perfectly. But there are better routers. Maybe you could have asked around here before buying. GBATemp is helpful except for IRL problems.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Zaiga said:
EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out the password and I finally got into the settings. But even after I changed the wireless channel to 11, I still couldn't connect to it. And the MAC filtering thing is confusing too.. Is that supposed to be on or off?
For now, leave MAC filtering off; you'll probably want to enable it later, but get your stuff working first before you start messing with it.

OK, so what security settings do you have enabled? There might be a "Security" page in the settings, or it might just be under something like "Wireless Settings". If it's WEP or WPA, there should be a code there which you have to put into the Wii's connection settings. Keep in mind that the DS does not support WPA, so you need WEP if you have a DS and want to connect that to the Internet, too. Anyway, if you have either WEP or WPA enabled, your Wii needs to have the key or it won't work. If you have neither WEP nor WPA enabled, I have no idea why your Wii can't pick it up.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
has the router got a firewall because you might want to drop that to a medium level for a start
when you're putting in the password etc. are you matching the password on the wii exactly? one wrong letter or case will stop you signing in
wink.gif

i'd never let anyone set mine up for me, why not (this is only my suggestion) reset the router and learn to set it up yourself. you can save the settings you have now just in case you don't like what you've done so save the settings then reset and then set everything up yourself
the only way you're gonna learn is by trial and error
try updating the router to latest firmware and then reconfiguring your settings
smile.gif

Zaiga

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Vague Rant said:
Zaiga said:
For now, leave MAC filtering off; you'll probably want to enable it later, but get your stuff working first before you start messing with it.

OK, so what security settings do you have enabled? There might be a "Security" page in the settings, or it might just be under something like "Wireless Settings". If it's WEP or WPA, there should be a code there which you have to put into the Wii's connection settings. Keep in mind that the DS does not support WPA, so you need WEP if you have a DS and want to connect that to the Internet, too. Anyway, if you have either WEP or WPA enabled, your Wii needs to have the key or it won't work. If you have neither WEP nor WPA enabled, I have no idea why your Wii can't pick it up.

Is it the one under WIRELESS SECURITY MODE? Right now, it's set as "Enable WPA Wireless Security (enhanced)". I don't see any code either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free