Router advice. Asus ac68u ac88u etc

maraxion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So i was hoping for some advice.
Im currently running a decent home network with several older asus n66 and ac66 as media bridges.
I have an older ac68u but are thinking on upgrading. I can get an ac88u fairly cheap.
But is this a nice step up, or are there others i should check?

maraxion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The house is large and id like something with better reach. Tried a few mesh network but not happy with em. Verry happy with asus routers.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While a new router could help the benefit would negligible and the range probably not as far as you would like. You would probably be better off installing some wired access points to extend the range. I know it's not an option for most to run cable through their house but it really is the best option for range extension. Another option would be wireless repeaters.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
While a new router could help the benefit would negligible and the range probably not as far as you would like. You would probably be better off installing some wired access points to extend the range. I know it's not an option for most to run cable through their house but it really is the best option for range extension. Another option would be wireless repeaters.

I had to switch away from having a single WAP years ago because it was unreliable, this included an Asus RT-AC88U and then I tried a single Ubiquiti WAP in the middle of the house.

I switched to BT wholehome MESH but whilst this improved the Wifi around the home it did cause issues e.g. Wifi discovery.

Since I ran ethernet to the other half of the house via the outside walls, I ended up switching to a pair of TP-link WAPs with the Omada software running as a docker image on my server.

So far this has been my most reliable setup.

In OPs case, one option to consider may be powerline adapters, I also know of a set which combines powerline and Wifi extender.

Reactions: fringle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1