Country
That's freaking sweet!!
ohmy.gif

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's sad that out of all the artists you like (I doubt it's just one) you only bought something from one, that's pretty terrible actually.

I understand the whole pirating thing, and maybe you only listen to mainstream stuff, but when it comes to bands (and games actually) if you LIKE something enough to want to see more of it, buying it is an easy way to promote more of it.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
It's sad that out of all the artists you like (I doubt it's just one) you only bought something from one, that's pretty terrible actually.
The vast majority of music I listen to is either not available for sale, given out freely, or only available through importing. If half of them actually released albums I could buy I would probably buy them.

NeSchn

Swag.
OP
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:

I understand the whole pirating thing, and maybe you only listen to mainstream stuff, but when it comes to bands (and games actually) if you LIKE something enough to want to see more of it, buying it is an easy way to promote more of it.

Yeah, I only usually pirate stuff that I can't find. Like this one band Ashen Light, they are an old Russian Folk Black Metal band, I can't find anything to buy from them at all. So I pirate it, however I could show you my CD collection, it pretty huge.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
referencer said:
Pyrofyr said:
The vast majority of music I listen to is either not available for sale, given out freely, or only available through importing. If half of them actually released albums I could buy I would probably buy them.
Almost all artists that don't have a label would gladly take the price of a CD as a donation, especially because it goes straight tot hem instead of dispersing on the overhead (and them getting only about 5 cents a CD)

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most down to earth (i.e. not big label artists) realize people d/l their shit and they make most money at shows and off T-Shirts. So buy a t shirt and go to their show.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goddamnit you're not supposed to put effort into replying to me, you're on GBATemp. Now I have to try and weakly rationalize everything I said.

Pyrofyr said:
Find me more to go by than "untagged" and I can easily do that, if you don't know the name of the group go by lyrics (Japanese lyrics are easier to understand than English ones since it seems you listen to Japanese music).
I don't listen to anything with lyrics unless they're particularly meaningful to me. If there was more to go by than "untagged" I would probably have figured out who produced it already.

Pyrofyr said:
Shogo Sakai - You can't exactly get his personal address, but you could either send it to HAL Laboratory since they developed those games as a whole (and getting it would imply buying the game since I doubt it came out on a soundtrack but I could be wrong), or you could call up HAL Laboratory or Nintendo of America and ask if there is a way to send money and make sure it gets to that person, whether via P.O. Box or something like paypal. People don't turn down money.

You could actually do more than help give them money (because you can't give enough ALONE to be worth it) but instead push their product and let people know about these awesome as fuck games coming back, or the awesome music in gaming. There's tons of ways besides paying money to help, although when it comes to indie artists they probably need the cash.
Alright yes you win there are a lot of ways I could support the artists if I really thought about what I could do. Doing these things, however, is directly contradictory to my nature as both a lazy person and a cheapskate, especially considering I've typically already bought the game and thus "supported" them through the usual channels by doing that. My point was that very few of what I listen to is released strictly as music or produced by one specific artist not working in collaboration with a company for a game or something like that, and Ronald Jenkees is the only intersection between that subset and the subset of those who are good enough to give me impetus to actually support them instead of just listening and thinking "well that's pretty good."

QUOTE(Pyrofyr @ Dec 6 2009, 09:02 PM)
A Boy and His Blob is being remade for WiiWare (graphically) by WayForward, the same people who did Shantae on GBC, Contra 4 on DS, and Lit on WiiWare.

Since they're intent on breathing fresh air into old games if that's what you like (not just the songs but the games, not sure if the music is being rewritten) you could write to them or call them, or e-mail them and see what you could do to support them.
I was talking about the Wiimake, and yeah, I'm aware. I ripped the music from my own DVD, which I bought.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that's cool then.

The usual channels are great ways of supporting them but if you like their music (not just the game) you could always also support them by writing a letter or something saying you like it. Gamers tend to not push the matter, we're a lazy bunch overall, I've only started doing this myself recently. Because of this we end up with series like Mother never coming over here, because we didn't voice it strong enough (you think we did, but realistically nah).

Game support for extra stuff like audio and writers are shit at the moment. :[

Blue Zoidberg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
referencer said:
Can you find me Shogo Sakai's personal address so I can mail him some money? While you're at it, figure out who composed A Boy and His Blob.
A Boy and His Blob was a 1989 Absolute Entertainment production which means the music was composed by Martin Van Hecke.
While no David Wise, Van Hecke did give us some great 8-bit tunes.

As for Shogo Sakai, he's currently working for HAL Laboratory I think so contacting them for more information may be of some help: HAL Lab Inquiry E-mail

Source 1
Source 2
(I don't have access to my NES instruction manuals at the moment)
Source 3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)