Hacking Roms no longer boot after gateway downgrade

cyris995

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After successfully (at least it seems so) downgrading my 3ds using my gateway, my back up roms are no longer working. Specificly, I can now boot without the browser exploit, but when I get to gateway mode and press the select button no game manager pops up anymore. I've tried adding different roms (though what I had worked pre-downgrade) and every button combination i can think of. I'm running the 3.4.1 ultra. What am I missing and how can I go back to choosing my games?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After successfully (at least it seems so) downgrading my 3ds using my gateway, my back up roms are no longer working. Specificly, I can now boot without the browser exploit, but when I get to gateway mode and press the select button no game manager pops up anymore. I've tried adding different roms (though what I had worked pre-downgrade) and every button combination i can think of. I'm running the 3.4.1 ultra. What am I missing and how can I go back to choosing my games?
By installing cfw and updating to 11.9

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

cyris995

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it sounds like you are right. I've been out of using my 3ds and my gateway for probably 3 years, and I was overwhelmed with the amount of changes and didnt know where to start, so I started with what my next plan had been at the time.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Gateway 3DS hasn't been updated in a while and is considered abandoned and not worth using anymore.
Since you already downgraded 4.5.0, you can follow https://3ds.hacks.guide in order to install CFW (even if you were on 11.9 it would've still been possible, but on earlier versions it's easier)

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

cyris995

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then I'm glad it wasnt a complete waste of time if it will make it easier. Looks like I have a fai bit of reading to do! Thank you everyone for your help!

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you begin, you are going to need to get your system able to run Gateway again, so you can backup your saves. Do you have a game cartridge that you can use to update to a modern firmware? If not, there are other ways.

Last edited by blahblah,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you dont like reading or risk damage to your system, stargate is a simple plug and play flashcard, works on all systems and firmwares, it brings DS ROM support.

only downfall is that it isnt region free, so your 3DS ROMS have to be the same region as your console, however DS ROMS are region free.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you dont like reading or risk damage to your system, stargate is a simple plug and play flashcard, works on all systems and firmwares, it brings DS ROM support.

only downfall is that it isnt region free, so your 3DS ROMS have to be the same region as your console, however DS ROMS are region free.

Stargate is garbage. It's a Sky 3DS style cartridge emulator. Useless. His system is already tampered with via the (dangerous) Gateway downgrade procedure. There's no avoiding hax at this point.

Last edited by blahblah,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Before you begin, you are going to need to get your system able to run Gateway again, so you can backup your saves. Do you have a game cartridge that you can use to update to a modern firmware? If not, there are other ways.
It's easier to do that once he's all set up with CFW.

There is no risk.
Well then I'm glad it wasnt a complete waste of time if it will make it easier. Looks like I have a fai bit of reading to do! Thank you everyone for your help!
When you follow the guide keep your emuNAND as is (don't follow the "move emuNAND" section when it asks you to)
When you are all set up with CFW you can follow this to get back into Gateway: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/
And use this to back up your saves to get them ready to be imported to the CIA versions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zf4fkbe8fwen7ee/GWSE.rar?dl=0
If you still experience the ROM menu issue at that point and can't back up your saves, I can help you with that.
After all that you can finally ditch Gateway completely.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's easier to do that once he's all set up with CFW.

There is no risk.

When you follow the guide keep your emuNAND as is (don't follow the "move emuNAND" section when it asks you to)
When you are all set up with CFW you can follow this to get back into Gateway: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/
And use this to back up your saves to get them ready to be imported to the CIA versions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zf4fkbe8fwen7ee/GWSE.rar?dl=0
If you still experience the ROM menu issue at that point and can't back up your saves, I can help you with that.
After all that you can finally ditch Gateway completely.

If he updates to 11.9, he'll have one hell of a time getting Gateway to run again. Unless that one guy is still modding Gateway to run on modern firmware. If that one guy isn't still doing it, he'll have to downgrade to an oldish version, boot Gateway, run JKSM and backup each game :|

Won't be super fun, but doable. Your instructions would work. Once he backs up, he should try booting his emuNAND with Luma and, if it works, move that emuNAND to CTR, no?

Last edited by blahblah,

cyris995

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I want to lose my saves, but could I forgo that whole mess if I'm willing to give them up? If I get the cfw set up on the sd card am I good to go from there without the gateway?

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I want to lose my saves, but could I forgo that whole mess if I'm willing to give them up? If I get the cfw set up on the sd card am I good to go from there without the gateway?

If you are willing to give them up, things are easier, but it's not really that much of a pain to back them up. It's an extra half hour of work.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If he updates to 11.9, he'll have one hell of a time getting Gateway to run again. Unless that one guy is still modding Gateway to run on modern firmware. If that one guy isn't still doing it, he'll have to downgrade to an oldish version, boot Gateway, run JKSM and backup each game :|

Won't be super fun, but doable. Your instructions would work. Once he backs up, he should try booting his emuNAND with Luma and, if it works, move that emuNAND to CTR, no?
He'll only be updating his sysNAND. He might have to do a ctrtransfer anyway if his emuNAND is semibricked. But we'll deal with that when it happens. It's not a hard thing to do, the only issue is finding an 11.2 or older ctrtransfer image.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay