Hacking RomHacking in Tales of Destiny 2

Chaotik

Trophies
XP
Country
I always thought Tales of Eternia for PSP was essentially Tales of Destiny 2...

Yeah, I think misinformation might be one of the main explanations why this project is so unpopular. Most of the guys I talked about this also thought TOD2 was TOE, "Why are they re-translating the game? The localization was pretty decent, from what I played" one of them said.
Such a shame, really, I'd love to play this in english, the Destiny cast is my favorite out of all Tales games and I wouldn't mind meeting them again.

Reactions: Jayro and GHANMI

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
I was sad to see the 2nd one never made it over twice on the ps2 and psp. Hopefully with what you have laid out someone will be willing to pick it up kinda like I did for the project I'm working on.

I think it was Atlus (or NISA) who approached Namco with an offer to translate a 2D Tales on PS2 (either this one or Rebirth) and were denied :(
Namco still does 2D Tales games though, just not in the way one would think of (Keroro RPG (DS), Kamen Rider Travelers Record (3DS)...)

Such a shame, really, I'd love to play this in english, the Destiny cast is my favorite out of all Tales games and I wouldn't mind meeting them again.
The PS2 remake for the first Tales of Destiny retconned lots of stuff, and this sequel here is set in the same continuity as the remake, not the original PS1 version. And Destiny 2 is a "bad future" type of story...

Reactions: TwistedZeon

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TOE, "Why are they re-translating the game? The localization was pretty decent, from what I played" one of them said.
Well, the ps1 localization (that was used again for the psp) removed most of the skits, so restoring those could be one reason do that (along with hacking in subtitles like the ToP translations so they're understandable).

There's already been someone who put the English text into the Japanese version, but it left menus untranslated, any voices incomprehensible to non-Japanese speakers, and has a dead download link.

Blackiris.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm a bit disappointed that this project doesn't get much attention, too. I've recently played Destiny, so I'd love to see Destiny 2 translated, especially considering that many of the PS2 era tales games are among the best of the series. That's why I'm also looking forward to Rebirth, but there doesn't seem to be much progress lately, though it looks a bit better now.

Anyway, I hope you'll find a translator and a decent team. I would much appreciate a Destiny 2 fan translation.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you considered reaching out to Phantasian Productions? They're also doing Tales of Destiny 2: I figure more hands on a project will perhaps accelerate the efforts instead of separate ones.

At least that's what I've learned on some projects I've been in on.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Tales fan translation projects have all been in existence for huge lengths of time. The existing project for Destiny 2, for instance, seems to have been on and off since at least as far back as 2006 and probably longer. Even the Phantasia PS1 patch which did come out took ten years. I think some fatigue has set in among fans seeing yet another Tales announcement.

I'd also suggest just working on it with or without the help of the existing projects. One of the annoying things about infinitely delayed fan translation projects is that because the translation is "in progress" that discourages other translators from doing them, so they never get done by anyone.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Actually it was very interesting to read (for me) about the file format and stuff. I am also interested in the translated version (and friend of mine, who is huge fan of the Tales series is interested too!), but as I am not a translator, I cannot offer any help (as seems you already did all resource hacking, this is awesome, actually. You should write a tutorial about hacking PSP games, really! I would be first to read that :))...

Reactions: GHANMI

Amore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh boy. An english translation of Tales Of Destiny 2 is for many like a dream coming true. As Sky noticed this is way more requested than Type-0 was. I know there is a translation project going around but there were no majoe updates in the last 5? years.

My advice to Sky is to make a thread on a popular forum like NeoGaf. I would make one but i don't have an account there. I am pretty sure that by making one in one or two popular gaming forums this will get the attention it deserves.

The Tales fanbase is very passionate and active. For example Sony asked the fans what game would like to see translated from japanese in english for PSVITA and the most requested title was Tales of Hearts R. Game was released officialy in english some months ago.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
My advice to Sky is to make a thread on a popular forum like NeoGaf. I would make one but i don't have an account there. I am pretty sure that by making one in one or two popular gaming forums this will get the attention it deserves.

The Tales fanbase is very passionate and active. For example Sony asked the fans what game would like to see translated from japanese in english for PSVITA and the most requested title was Tales of Hearts R. Game was released officialy in english some months ago.

I don't think that's a good idea to link to either of these sites because they're more interested in drama and controversies, and that could kill any prospects for this project (much like Crimson Nocturnal who did a similar thing and got overrun by haters causing it to close up altogether in 2009). Not necessarily only the "please release now partial patch crowd", they also have heavy pro-censorship tendencies especially when it comes to Japanese content with lolis and any situation involving women in general... Not only line changes and rewrites, even entire quests cut off, or the game cancelled when it comes to it.

This is the site that runs daily/weekly threads on which J-RPG has "problematic" stuff that needs to be cut from the game or changed to an entirely different plot.

A similar mindset also recently was the cause for an official J-RPG localization being delayed one year and a half. A fan-translation would be just killed.

The attention you're seeking won't be positive at all.
Real people working in the gaming industry (devs, publishers, composers, programmers) are treated like shit there the instant they disagree.
Chances are the worst parts of 4chan is a safer choice than either this or somethingawful.

The Tales fan-base, and more tolerant level-minded fans and people with a good grasp on Japanese, who can enjoy the game for what it is, exist elsewhere.

Amore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think that's a good idea to link to either of these sites because they're more interested in drama and controversies, and that could kill any prospects for this project (much like Crimson Nocturnal who did a similar thing and got overrun by haters causing it to close up altogether in 2009). Not necessarily only the "please release now partial patch crowd", they also have heavy pro-censorship tendencies especially when it comes to Japanese content with lolis and any situation involving women in general... Not only line changes and rewrites, even entire quests cut off, or the game cancelled when it comes to it.
A similar mindset also recently was the cause for an official J-RPG localization being delayed one year and a half. A fan-translation would be just killed.

The attention you're seeking won't be positive at all.
Real people working in the gaming industry (devs, publishers, composers, programmers) are treated like shit there the instant they disagree.
Chances are 4chan is a safer choice than either this or somethingawful.

The Tales fan-base, and more tolerant level-minded fans and people with a good grasp on Japanese, who can enjoy the game for what it is, exist elsewhere.

The Type-0 translation got a very positive reaction from Gaf. If the word won't spread out then how do you expect to gauge interest for a project?

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
The Type-0 translation got a very positive reaction from Gaf. If the word won't spread out then how do you expect to gauge interest for a project?

Last I saw, tha website doesn't have very high respect of this precise game's plot (you know, the part that needs to be translated) and it's not the exclusive place where translators and romhackers exist - the few who occasionally post there (like Sky did) do so very rarely and it's a repost of something they did elsewhere.

There are other sites out there (reddit, tales official forum, ys fan forums, fansub forums) with a higher concentration of Tales fans than a site who regularly runs controversies and a weekly thread about "This other anime game. I think I interpreted this scene as rape. the game should be censored. Here's a plot I totally think should be put instead of the original offensive plot, with so much cuts for stuff I don't like. It's called localization!" Why go to a place that regularly insults the country, the games, their devs, and their plot (not in the pun sense)... and expect it to be a good place to create an accurate translation for that game?

I'm just pointing out this particular option is very risky.

Amore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last I saw, tha website doesn't have very high respect of this precise game's plot (you know, the part that needs to be translated) and it's not the exclusive place where translators and romhackers exist - the few who occasionally post there (like Sky did) do so very rarely and it's a repost of something they did elsewhere.

I don't see how the game's plot is related with the interest of a translation project.

There are other sites out there (reddit, tales official forum, ys fan forums, fansub forums) with a higher concentration of Tales fans than a site who regularly runs controversies and a weekly thread about "This other anime game. I think I interpreted this scene as rape. the game should be censored. Here's a plot I totally think should be put instead of the original offensive plot, with so much cuts for stuff I don't like. It's called localization!" Why go to a place that regularly insults the country, the games, their devs, and their plot (not in the pun sense)... and expect it to be a good place to create an accurate translation for that game?

I'm just pointing out this particular option is very risky.

Tales official forum is closed since 1 year and a half. Reddit could be a good choice. I should have mentioned other places in my original posts. It's not like Gaf is the best or the most popular (i don't like it very much to myself to be honest but truth is there are a lot of people there commenting daily).

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
I think, if you really want to help and you tell that Tales fanbase is huge, then should spead the word among the fanbase, not on NeoGaf. As by me it is as usual lot of talks and near to zero individuals, willing to spend their time on this... And I understand Sky quite clearly - it was fun to hack, find the formats, etc., but to make translation really happen need at least a project leader and translator. Such activity does not need much of PSP knowledge, but very time-consuming, so of course without real commitment of the team this would never happen, this is absolutely clear.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand what is wrong with partial patches. I have never held back from releasing them. As long as it is declared what is translated and what is not, then I don't see the problem.
Also, it can be a good way to get people to test your release. Because testing is boring.

Reactions: blackfire219

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't understand what is wrong with partial patches. I have never held back from releasing them. As long as it is declared what is translated and what is not, then I don't see the problem.
Also, it can be a good way to get people to test your release. Because testing is boring.

Well I meant when someone who doesn't want to release the translation partial or not because it's deemed not to be ready yet - is flooded with hate mail from people wanting it released now.
Or maybe when stuff is translated all over the place and still wouldn't make for a remotely enjoyable playthrough (a reason why some menu patches for SRW K and SRW W were just kind of... forgotten to even exist).

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I always thought Tales of Eternia for PSP was essentially Tales of Destiny 2... I loved the first game, and Tales of Phantasia (ported to GBA) was amazing, but badly needed an undub. Tales of Destiny 1 on the PS1 was undubbed in the American release, and I absolutely adore that game.
Yeah, I think misinformation might be one of the main explanations why this project is so unpopular. Most of the guys I talked about this also thought TOD2 was TOE, "Why are they re-translating the game? The localization was pretty decent, from what I played" one of them said.

Tales of Eternia PSX was initially released in the US as "Tales of Destiny II". This generated a lot of confusion and may be one of the reasons that led to "Tales of Destiny 2" (PS2/PSP) never being localized. The PSP version of Eternia was later released in Europe with the correct name, though.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Already spoke about that before in this topic. This does not help spreading a word to make fan translation alive, though.

CheeseCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm a new Tales project. More translations projects are welcome in my book. It's really a shame people just dismissed it like a side game.

I want to get hyped about this but... they take a long while and I don't want to get my hopes up to much. (like Vesperia)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Tales of Eternia PSX was initially released in the US as "Tales of Destiny II". This generated a lot of confusion and may be one of the reasons that led to "Tales of Destiny 2" (PS2/PSP) never being localized. The PSP version of Eternia was later released in Europe with the correct name, though.

It's the FF III/VI fiasco all over again...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Sup nerds