Romantics band sues 'Guitar Hero' publisher

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Shinji, Nov 22, 2007.

Nov 22, 2007
  1. Shinji
    OP

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Source

Seriously?! This is a bunch of BS from a washed out band dontcha think? (I bolded the key points of the lawsuit)

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Gee, I wonder what the original contract looked like.

"You may make a cover version that sounds like the original, only not quite, just to remind people of our song, but really remind them, not leave a vague impression that a similar song exists out there, but to unambiguously point towards our song, but not to actually sound like our song, well, yes, to sound like our song, but not exactly like our song..."

...naw, I don't think so. I think they have no grounds for a law suit, but are hoping that music is too vague a thing to set lines and boundaries of whether something is a cover, a ripoff, or an exact copy, and that in the intangible realm of ethereal, and with a tone-deaf judge, they may have a case.

In other words, they are full of BS.

Romantics: "See, your honour, if we play it this way (guitar riffs), it's a cover, see, but if we play it this way (more riffs), it's a ripoff, see?"
    Judge: "Um, I can't hear any difference [​IMG] "
    Romantics: "Exactly!"

3. ProdigySim

Member ProdigySim GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That sounds really stupid.
    You can't give someone the rights to do a cover then tell change your mind because they actually did it WELL.

On the flipside, would they have liked it any better if it was incredibly bad? I doubt.

4. Shinji
    OP

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Then they would be suing them for "slander" haha!

5. El-ahrairah

Member El-ahrairah GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG]

"You're suing because the cover sounds too much like the original?"

This is either a desperate money-grab or a cry for attention. Either way, it's pretty sad.

6. dakeyras

Member dakeyras GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I think their problem is that they sold the rights to a cover. Not to the original. So by creating something that is too much like the original it's not a cover anymore? And I'm sure that the rights for a cover are cheaper than the rights for the original. I'm not sure what the definition of a cover is though.

I don't know, seems pretty weak either way.

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    What I hate about the games and any other rhythm games is that they use covers instead of the originals.

Anyway this band is being stupid, what the hell did they expect? They should have knew that the developers would've got a cheap covers band to save costs and to save further costs they'd just do a straight forward cover instead of paying them for their time and studio time to rework a song.

8. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Funny. By getting more attention from this incident, both the band and the game get a name-value boost. Perhaps it's part of the deal, who knows.

9. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Um, epic phail? We give you permission to make a cover....but not TOO good a cover...

EDIT: How many songs on the lists are covers? Isn't it just like 1 or 2?