Hacking Romancing Saga 2 - JPN to English Translation - Henkaku 3.60 Firmware

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took a look at the Romancing Saga 2 Vita ISO (JPN) with the help of the person who did the "I Am Setsuna" translation (We translated on the PSP together: Half A Minute Hero 2, La Pucelle: Ragnarok, Phantom Kingdom Portable). We tried playing around with swapping the assets in the unity engine. The english for the menus, items, weapons and etc is in the original JPN ISO that can run on 3.60 firmware. The MAI dump seems to have problems working because of bad dumps in the sce_module but the NoNpDrm dump works great.

You can switch these assets easily from the JPN and ENG by swapping them in the Unity assets using AssetsBundleExtractor (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?22675-Unity-Assets-Bundle-Extractor). I can confirm that you can get this working on the Vita. These assets do not include any of the story text.

I think there might be a flag somewhere in the eboot.bin to set language to JPN or ENG but without an emulator/debugger will be almost impossible to find.

We also have tried inserting the Unity assets from the android release and the steam release into the Vita 3.6 ISO and cannot get it working.

We think the issue is with the data.bin and data.idx that has Vita specific files in it. Looking at the files size (data.bin) for the three different releases they are all vastly different as well.
  • Vita: 206 MB (JPN)
  • Android: 211 MB (ENG)
  • Steam: 1347 MB (ENG)

We think these two files hold the story and are key to getting this translation working in the JPN ISO. It will be a ton of work to figure out how these files work. The other option is if we could get these files (along with the Unity files) from the Vita ENG Romancing Saga 2 game then we might be able to insert them into the JPN one.

If anyone has any idea how these file formats work or if you can get the RMS2 ENG iso (I know it will not run currently with Henkaku since its above 3.60+ firmware), please contact us. I doubt people are trying to dump these type of ISO since they cannot be played with Henkaku. We are lurking around the normal boards and forums.

-ChepChep

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(just about everyone is locked out of psn store, that updated version of NONPDRM is supposed to release soon, I probably don't care about it, for the simple reason that.....................I wouldn't reformat if I had to, because, I installed the MTL Activator and I deleted the blue feature page) (just a big annoyance for everything I already have)

(so if that isn't a problem for most people to get back on psn store, then, my live subscription is still active and I have an official unmodded VITA, for the psn store, if that works with the backup manager from sony, content manager assist, then, more people will be likely to get that for you, no, problem)

(right now, sony has already began to cancel the live services for games on the vita, like wipeout and many others, so that's double jeopardy for someone considering paying to restore their psn online service for the vita only, its just a moot point)

(Demon Gaze II, will probably be easier to do a asset swap if you care for that game, it has no redeeming qualities, since so much of the game mechanics were removed that were in the original.................its just not an important game......................also Caligula Effect, needed some files plucked from the jap, unmodified, and that was kinda broken with some untranslated skills, but otherwise great shape.......................if you really have a lot of time on your hands to tinker with stuff, the snes rom is basically the same as the vita game, it just need its text translated, maybe swap it in there, and we can play the game from retroarch, no, need for the trouble of an asset swap)

(I don't want to be the one to say it, but, if you just let the vita die, noone will hold it against you, look at the release list for games, most of them are now cancelled for next year, well this year as of new years 2018)

(actually I think you implied a good point, "Romancing Saga 2" is not a "cash grab, release and run", at the very end of the console's life cycle, so on that note, it is probably worth your time, but, its ported from the snes, with little to nothing done to update the game, should just play the dam thing on retroarch (for the VITA), and call it a day!)

Last edited by yeshuachrist,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey