ROM Hack Rom Trimming

topicaltapioca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember a couple years ago about some roms not working after being trimmed, and wanted to know more about this.

When ROMs are trimmed, do they lose wifi capabilities?

I'm just a bit unhappy with RToolDS because it seems to have trimmed my entire collection save a few.

Grr.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use NDSTokyoTrim and I haven't had a problem with any games and I haven't seen any wifi capability dropped.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Fishaman P said:
They only lose those capabilities when trimmed with a horrible trimmer. Any current one does a fine job, whether it is TokyoTrim, the AK2i's built-in trimer, etc.
I use the AK2i Built-in Trimmer myself, but if you don't have an Acekard go with TokyoTrim. I really can't say which one is the best, but TokyoTrim does trim a lot faster than the Acekard Built in one.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A few years ago the issue was with WiFi roms, most of teh rom trimmers have been updated and now work fine with WiFi roms.

However, some will have issues with DSi Enhanced roms. I did mention it brian of NDSTokYoTrim and he said he fixed it, but he hasn't released an updated version.

Downside of trimming roms? None. Simply keep archived copies of the original untrimmed rom on your PC. For now avoid trimming DSi enhanced roms.

Some roms also have multiple languages. Somewhere on here there is a guide on stripping out those non-english languages reducing the rom size even more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on