Rom size limit of ~ 135 mb

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by koroshiya97, Jul 2, 2009.

Jul 2, 2009

Rom size limit of ~ 135 mb by koroshiya97 at 9:48 PM (1,092 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. koroshiya97
    OP

Newcomer koroshiya97 Newbie

United States
    I was just wondering if a cap on rom size was specific to my acekard 2 or if it was a firmware issue.

Useless? backstory:
    I used the english patch on the japanese version of valkyrie profile ds, which led to the rom being about 137mb
    I cut some random files from the rom to see if size was the issue(I reduced the rom size to about 130mb)
    This worked, as the rom was able to boot and get to the main menu unlike before. However, those files I deleted turned out to be necessary for running the game during battle sequences... heheh

2. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't think it's rom size. I think the undubbing process of this patch messes up something. It just gives me a couple of white screens on my acekard 2i when i try to boot it. The USA and Japanese clean versions work fine.

3. koroshiya97
    OP

Newcomer koroshiya97 Newbie

United States
    Wow, ASH is that big?
    That's cool to know that an acekard can run roms that big. Thanks. I wonder why the patched Valkyrie Profile would run on noGBA and not on my acekard....

4. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    ...well, if it's worth anything, the DSi enhanced My Healthy Cooking Coach ROM wouldn't run on my DSi with a flashcart, but would run on noGBA. Not too well, but it worked.

5. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Make sure that the rom is padded out to a multiple of two in megabytes e.g. this rom should be exactly 128mb or 256mb is recommended, purely because the rom needs to be padded like an official game for it to work properly.

6. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    ...well, if you trim the ROM, it won't have that padding anymore. A trimmed ROM should normally work fine, except that cheats won't work.

7. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Cheats dont work because you change the header crc which is used for verifying the game in the cheat database. Yes trimmed roms work because they pad the rom to a 512 boundary like real games. just figured it'd be easier for someone to understand padding to the actual original rom size.