ROM sites and R4 Sellers being ratted out

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder why they let the Action Replay and GameShark sell then. Both are technically "illegal", going by their double-standards. I mean, come on. They contact sites to remove a certain ROM from being able to be downloaded, yet don't go after the entire site? They aren't serious about it, just gotta look like they're doing something.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shinkukage09 said:
Wonder why they let the Action Replay and GameShark sell then. Both are technically "illegal", going by their double-standards. I mean, come on. They contact sites to remove a certain ROM from being able to be downloaded, yet don't go after the entire site? They aren't serious about it, just gotta look like they're doing something.

I don't believe unlicensed devices have ever been illegal for any system, dating back to NES's game genie, or code master's unique Megadrive games, etc.

But Nintendo don't like the devices and make an effort of it to block them, their DSi agreement even says about cheating.

Quick-zeno

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*Goes and checks his fav rom site*
Its still rawking
biggrin.gif

Shad0wninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found a similar article to that, on IGN.
IGN.com said:
October 5, 2009 - Nintendo made a major move today in its ongoing fight against DS piracy. Joined by 54 game publishers, including such giants as Square Enix and Capcom, the company filed suit in Tokyo District Court seeking the halt in import and sale of Majicon devices, as well as damages from vendors who continue to sell the devices.

The term "Majicon" refers to flash cartridges that users can plug into their DS cartridge slot to play pirated games. The most common example is known as R4 Revolution.

The lawsuit follows a series of moves taken by the Kyoto gaming giant and those 54 publishers to kill off the devices in Japan. In February, the companies successfully sued to halt import and sale of the devices. However, to this day, they continue to be sold online and in smaller game shops. Nintendo sent warning letters to retailers in April demanding that they halt sales and also seeking damages for previous sold devices, but the company says that these letters were ignored in many cases.

According to Impress Watch, today's legal motion targets four companies for damages totaling 479,700,000 yen. The site did not share specific names.

Outside of this legal move, Nintendo today created a piracy snitch line of sorts at its Japanese corporate site. Those who have information about piracy can fill out an anonymous form at the site. The form seeks information on locations (internet, retail, and auction) where Majicon devices are sold, and URLs for sites that offer game downloads.
Source: http://ds.ign.com/articles/103/1031306p1.html
Uh oh!
Nintendo's going hardcore now.

EDIT: If you want to submit a form, go here: https://secure.nintendo.co.jp/fraud/form.html
But it's in Japanese, I dunno if there's an English part. :S

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Taijo said:
palasx said:
Richy Freeway said:
deethebee said:
dood that sucks
sleep.gif
the ones i use are still up though (ftw) nintendo's nuts and need to lay off you spent around 100$(usa) for a ds you should be able to do whatever you want with it or at least thats how i feel lol
So because I spent loads of money on a car I should be able to steal the fuel?

Your reasoning is retarded.

oh i get it, cars run on fuel, and the NDS runs on games. thats clever...no...wait...that other thing...completely wrong. NDS runs on electricity, not games. games are just the fun part. so by Richy's logic and your shitty analogy, if i spent loads of money on a car i should be able to steal the passengers! (who will be using the majority of my fuel)

The only thing wrong with his analogy is not covering up for donkeys like you. He meant that a car is useless without fuel like the DS is useless without games.

And you know this... yet you had to be a smartass. You sir, suck at arguing for not letting an opportunity to "score" pass by even though you understood what he meant and even though it was irrelevant to the discussion.

Anyway, commenting on your "shitty analogy"... no, its not right to steal the passengers just because you bought the car (woah, and you just criticized HIS analogy?). Mainly because they are human beings, and suffer, unlike games. (see what I did there? I can be a smartass too.)

The bottom line is pirating games is wrong, no matter how much the companies deserve to not get your money. But it isnt going to change anytime soon.
Everyone quit bitchin'. You can always just use Pictochat if you have a DS.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cablephish said:
Everyone quit bitchin'. You can always just use Pictochat if you have a DS.

If my MS Paint skillz were better, I'd make a drawing of that.

There's no point debating piracy here. While there's some issues while there'll still be a large enough minority to have a reasonable point on it, probably 95% of people here have pirated, pirate, or will pirate games in the future. No one cares.

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I feel really bad about piracy for Nintendo, since I'm not helping at all. Piracy actually branched out from me to people I know. I got a flashcart, which I showed to friends, now my friends have flashcarts, then they tell their friends, and it just turned into this giant web, and I'm in the middle.

bRKcRE

Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
As for flashcarts, they ARE illegal if they can boot a commercial ROM dump. The only "legal" ones don't play retail games at all, only homebrew, and very few are made that way. They are rendered illegal simply because the teams associated with them released updates to circumvent AP on the retail ROM dumps so they can be played on the cart. That alone makes them illegal. I never could understand how anyone could ever think some weak statement that since they also play homebrew that this alone makes them legal in any way when they are actively updated to play the latest commercial games. But you know, these are "laws" most of us here don't care about anyway. It doesn't make the laws non-existent just because we don't abide by them, or rationalize them away with weak statements.

so are you saying it is the hardware devices themselves that are illegal?? or the firmware/OS that allows commercial roms to be played?? i was under the impression that as long as the flashcart wasnt supplied with preloaded firmware, it was legal to be bought and sold anywhere?? or is this somethign that varies from state to state and country to country?

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IchigoSJ said:
But how will they take down megaupload and those sites hmmm.

They won't and can't, megaupload tend to remove such links, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but most of the time they don't
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(jakob95 @ Oct 6 2009, 12:53 AM) iPlayer also counts illigel and so does GameNmusic whatever the name is... Because iPlayer could run GBA games and Datels could run Lameboy...

The iPlayer is the one card i feel sorry for the most. The team INSISTED that it wouldn't be used for piracy. The GBA Emulator came after firmware 1.4, which blocked it out. A big face palm for the team. So yeah, that was really harsh from ninty, anyway i don't think it will stop them from developing, yet again it does run homebrew so it is classified as 'illegal'

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
You see what I mean, Nintendo is just making it known. That they will do something about it and guess what, the rom sites and flashcard makers will just go into a low profile once again.

If Nintendo REALLY REALLY want to get rid of flashcards to like 60%, they first need to pretend nothing is happening. Grab all the flashcards from the market, start experimenting them until they can find exploits, then finally create an update (if ppl are stupid enough) that will brick certain flashcards and etc.

The only thing that's stopping them is that flashcards being made in the US can sue Nintendo for sabotaging the product of the flashcard which can make Nintendo look bad in the media's eye. However, business is business.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
IchigoSJ said:

They won't and can't, megaupload tend to remove such links, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but most of the time they don't
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(jakob95 @ Oct 6 2009, 12:53 AM) iPlayer also counts illigel and so does GameNmusic whatever the name is... Because iPlayer could run GBA games and Datels could run Lameboy...

The iPlayer is the one card i feel sorry for the most. The team INSISTED that it wouldn't be used for piracy. The GBA Emulator came after firmware 1.4, which blocked it out. A big face palm for the team. So yeah, that was really harsh from ninty, anyway i don't think it will stop them from developing, yet again it does run homebrew so it is classified as 'illegal'

Why would you feel bad for them? It was "illegal" from the start, according to Nintendo. It doesn't matter who makes what, if the original firmware of it was NOT made by Nintendo, it was blocked. Datel's Action Replay devices were blocked. We're they illegal? No. But they ran using code not authorized by Nintendo. Everything that ran/run's code like that is essentially "illegal". It doesn't really matter what the makers insist upon, for they could easily pull up another name and make something for it.

Face it, would've been blocked no matter what. No real point feeling bad for them.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
...As for flashcarts, they ARE illegal if they can boot a commercial ROM dump. The only "legal" ones don't play retail games at all, only homebrew, and very few are made that way....

That may be true in other countries, but not in the United States. The Supreme Court established that people can make a "reasonable number" of copies of media they purchased to be used for private use. Other companies tried that shit here in the States when VHS tapes first hit the market, and the judicial system was clear about allowing certain amounts of duplication for private use.

Now, modding a system is a different story, though it's still a grey area, one Nintendo has exploited so far. But if you notice, they haven't even bothered to take any type of legal action against the sale or use of flashcards here in the States...and they won't, not unless they are prepared to take it all the way to the Supreme Court, which would likely be completely fruitless.

What they're doing here is merely putting a bandage on a wound until they can steer their media delivery toward digital distribution. Sony is on the right track with PSP go, but it's the transitional process that's going to hurt both companies, and there's no way around that. Nintendo, however, have been avoiding the Internet like the plague, and so they've got their work cut out for them.

shito

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
r4's are dead already
tongue.gif
, nintendo is only cleaning up, btw for every rom sites nintendo shut down about 10 new ones wil open (just like torrent sites)

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maz7006 said:
IchigoSJ said:

biggrin.gif

There are plenty of other hosting sites out there aside from Megaupload, some of the places I have downloaded from used to use Megaupload and Rapidshare but have switched since they started cracking down on DS Roms. Funny though that MU has no problem hosting movies and stuff which is also copyrighted material but they go after DS games.

Homebrew isn't illegal at all, neither is the iPlayer so long as you aren't using the GBA emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1