ROM, Saves, Cheat location for GenesisPlusGX

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by the_randomizer, Oct 6, 2011.

1. the_randomizer
    OP

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    With GenesisPlusGX, is it possible to force the emulator to only load ROMs, saves and cheat codes stored on a USB HDD, even if you store the emulator on an SD card? I know you can tell the emulator to load the ROMs from the HDD, but I'd rather not have it create the folders on the SD, I want them on the HDD instead. The reason I launch GenesisPlusGX off the SD is due to the fact that A)Snes9xGx will NOT load properly off my HDD and B) because the HBC loads the apps stored on SD instead of what apps are on the HDD (boot priority; it seems to preempt the HDD).

When I loaded GenesisPlusGX off the SD card, it created the subfolders for games/saves, etc. and from that point on, it refused to load the saves already stored on the USB HDD. Forwarders are not possible for me to use because no matter which one(s) I try to install/uninstall, they all go back to the system menu; and yes, I tried BOTH .dol files that came with the .zip file but to no avail...is there a specific WAD program and IOS I need to use? Heck, is it even feasible to load the emulator from SD while still using the saves created on the HDD?

Summary:

- Can't store GenesisPlusGX on HDD due to having to load Snes9xGx on the SD
    - The SD loading on HBC takes precedence over HDD loading and can't do jack squat about that
    - Want to load Genesis emulator from SD card while using the HDD to create savestates, but ROMs can definitely be loaded from HDD

Am I making any sense? oO

2. chaosdarkneo

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You can have the Homebrew Channel boot from USB. Press the Home button and click settings. Change SD to USB.

3. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    As far as I can tell, genesis plus gx will always use the default FAT device for saves,cheats, screenshots, etc, and libfat always picks SD as default if it is detected. The device it was booted from makes no difference, what matter are the available devices when the emulator starts.

And as you already noticed, there are no options to force the device for saves, cheats, etc so what you are asking is not possible, just copy your saves/cheats/screenshots from USB to SD and keep your ROMs on USB, I don't see what your problem is...

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

No, libfat tries to look at the argv arguments to find which device to use as default i.e. the device it was booted from is used as the default.

5. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    I didn't knew that, thanks for the info.

6. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Doesn't mean it applies to Genesis Plus GX though, if it's compressed with dollz it won't have any arguments.