ROM Request Solution???

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by jumpman17, Sep 26, 2003.

Sep 26, 2003

ROM Request Solution??? by jumpman17 at 3:33 AM (1,868 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Just an idea that came to me from thinking how to stop all the ROM requets. Today alone, there were two at least, maybe three requests. Would it be possible to have a little text box when you register that makes them type in "I will not ask for ROMs"??? Even if they copy and paste it, they would still see what they are copying and pasteing. Just an idea. [​IMG]

2. AnTi-WaR

Member AnTi-WaR those who make mistakes blame themselves and close

hows that gonna stpp them? it might help a bit but i doubt its gonna stop it imho

3. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    maybe...most of these guys claim they didn't know it was a rule...but that won't stop them though, true.

4. Tempest Stormwin

Former Staff Tempest Stormwin Kweisatz Haderach

Canada
    Good idea, but a bit annoying to implement. I don't even know if it's possible... wait for Thug or Shaun to notice this.

-Tempest out.-

5. Puck The Joker

Banned Puck The Joker Puck, The Arrogant Phuck

You think rom request topics are bad, how about getting PMs from Noobs.

That came from a PM I got earlier today.

6. Dragonlord

Member Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Switzerland
    I think you can't do something about this. As soon as you have PM there will people abusing it. As for the register stuff, those people just wanna register. They don't watch what they sign because such message boards are anonymous places. Nobody can take them on in the real life for breaking rules here so those people don't care about it. Thus there's no sense in extra blocking. You can only do one thing: ignore stupid PMs and close such threads immediatly. Unfortunatly that's too what admins and moderators are for.

7. kiwibonga

Member kiwibonga GBAtemp Regular

France
    People kept registering at my site thinking the ROM release list would magically become a file downloading service once they would log in...

Ever since I added this line on top of the release list, nobody registers to post on the message boards anymore and my site lost about 100 visitors a day... But at least we don't have lamers... [​IMG]

"NOTE: There are no ROM files on Kiwibonga.com, registering won't enable you to get ROM files, and it is strongly discouraged to try and ask for ROM files here. Read the FAQ."

Basically, you have to know one thing when you have a website: PEOPLE ARE STUPID, YOU ARE NOT... I mean when my site was a Genesis ROM site I got about 5 pokemon rom requests a day, and even had an argument with someone who insisted on the fact that I sucked because I didn't have the Final Fantasy Genesis ROM... It's not rocket science... If you don't go out of your way to make people understand something, they most of the time won't try to find out about the rules by themselves...

8. Foppzter

Member Foppzter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    I knew people was stupid, but this stupid [​IMG]
    However, even if you could get the screen to flash up in some light color for some secs, saying "There are NO roms here, and NEVER ask for roms" when somebody enter the forum people will still ask for them...

9. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I think this is a great idea, as they will immediatley see withought even making a post that we don't do ROM requests.

Ill make a topic in the staff forum.

10. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    Just so you know [I have NO idea what jumpman just posted]

It would be good if every n00b gets a PM the moment they join titled "about downloading roms" where it can include info on how to get roms off irc and that if they request for a rom they get an auto ban.

It's been done lots of times. I'm sure it'll work, that way we know that they've been told what not to do and what the consequences would be.

11. Dragonlord

Switzerland
    Hm... not bad idea although... when I was new to forums I missed regulary those PMs... I wasn't used to get private messages besides those postings so for n00bs might still miss it. The best would be to include this line about "No Rom requests..." directly into the registration form so that it's placed directly under their nose.

12. VegetaPow

VegetaPow Newbie

With the private message idea what you could do is change the color of the "New Messages" link so that it would be more noticable like Dragonlord said the link doesn't really stick out and unless user takes some time to look through the navigation bar up there they just wont see it

13. dice

United Kingdom
    So you're saying that the background for example of the PM should be red or something like that to show that it's from staff members?

14. Tempest Stormwin

Canada
    PMs by default pop up in a new window. You'll notice THAT.

Positive reaction from the staff thus far, by the way.

-Tempest out.-

15. dice

United Kingdom
    Oh tempest I know this is kinda off topic but could you explain what jumpman's idea was because I don't understand it [​IMG]

16. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    You just can't stop people requesting for ROMs on this site. The only thing I can think of is leveling-up bans. [​IMG]

on another note, ShadowXP is back in action after quite a few months! [​IMG]

17. Tempest Stormwin

Canada
    Adding a new step to the sign-up process.

Have a text box show up with "No rom requests. Keep these boards legal" or something on it. The would-be user must then type that message exactly into a new text box if they want to get their password.

Even if they copy-paste, they will have read it. That way, EVERYONE sees it.

-Tempest out.-

18. Maks

Member Maks -----MAKS-----

Australia
    The PM idea is excelent! I think that would work fine.

19. Dragonlord

Switzerland
    That's the problem Tempest.
    I'm a Mozilla user for example and with mozilla NO POPUPS will ever come up unless I request one by clicking on a link. It's an anti-popup-spam mechanism in Mozilla and thus I never saw any popups on this page.

20. dice

United Kingdom
    Well for my way you must at least once juring your stay here see 1 new messages near the top of the page. I check at least once every 3 days. Besides I allow pop-ups.