ROM hacks better than the game they are based on

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by leafeon34, Nov 8, 2015.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    In the gaming world ROM hacks (apart from translations) don't seem to gather much attention, which is a shame because I'm sure there are some awesome fan made ROM hacks out there. Some good examples are Zelda Badlands and Mario Adventure.

Post below your favourite non-translation ROM hacks that you think are better than the original game itself.

2. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Do mods that expand on the original game count? Because I absolutely love Brutal Doom.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  3. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    Project M

Lord M likes this.
  4. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Yeah, why not? Anything apart from translations.

5. SmellyPirateMonkey

SmellyPirateMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Sep 18, 2015
    United States
    I enjoy any hard mode hacks. But cokemon was great if I had to pick one.

6. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    Project M

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  7. WoJjTeK

WoJjTeK GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    Poland
    Newer Super Mario Bros Wii

8. rotebrotobias

rotebrotobias GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 31, 2015
    Never heard of that one before. It looks really cool!

9. EMP Knightmare

EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    Mario vs Luigi & Peach and Daisy in the Ultimate Quest ^_^

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    This!
    It's also funny (though in a way also sad) that Newer is also better than NSMBU, which was a launch title for the wiiu. :P

11. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    The Second Reality Project Reloaded 1 and 2, those are Super Mario World hacks :P

12. jDSX

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    Mageknight101's Fire emblem hack one of the few FE hacks that is properly balanced and has actual maps also is complete unlike others that have maybe a update or two chapters shorter maps then die off.

ComeTurismO likes this.
  13. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    CrackLife.

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    This, I second this post!
    Brutal Doom is the only way I can play Doom nowadays!

shadow1w2 likes this.
  15. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

Mar 16, 2004
    United States
    CA
    Second the brutal doom mention.
    It is just crazy fun even on boring maps.

Personally I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Sonic Classic Heroes which turns the two first sonic games into one game with three player co-op which is a blast with my friends and family.
    Just be sure to turn on choatix mode (rubber band thing mostly) and remember how to self destruct the other players when ya get stuck on three players.

Sonic 1 Megamix
    is still looking promising even if it has been around since forever. Old releases are still fun to play.
    Not to mention I love sonic hacks with the ability to switch roll into a ball in mid flight like Sonic Triple Trouble did on game gear.
    Robotnik's Creature Capture and Big's Fishing Derby are also great hacks that well, are entirely different games really.

There is also a hack for Super Mario World that turns it into Wario Land which is pretty interesting.

Real_Redwolf and VinsCool like this.
  16. Cornholio309

Cornholio309 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    United States
    Sonic 2 Delta - A rather fun Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ROM hack that I personally consider better than the original. It's primary goal is to restore some cut out Zones from the game (such as Hidden Palace, Wood Zone, and Dust Hill), but also adds some cool new features like Sonic 3's file select screen. It even includes an entirely new character combination - Knuckles & Tails!

The most recent update has added all of Sonic 1's Zones (due to the Nick Arcade prototype's inclusion of them), so basically it's Sonic 1+2. My only real complaint is that some of the restored Zones feel a bit meh design wise (Winter Hill Zone has a really odd layout), but it's otherwise great fun and the other Zones are worth taking a look at. I consider it much better than the original, with only the Android remake by Taxman surpassing it.

Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii - Basically "New Super Mario Bros. Wii As You Imagined It". It contains a much less bland sounding soundtrack, much more varied level art, and makes New Super Mario Bros. Wii a lot more fun. The core of the game is great, but the original game's level design and music just left me feeling kind of unsatisfied. For whatever reason, it felt like it wasn't trying as hard as the original DS title did. This fixes that.

Melee 20XX - A hack that has more recently popped up. Includes a lot of nice options such as being able to toggle the debug menu, and the trophy stages being accessible in normal Smash modes. I'd highly recommend giving this thing a look if you're curious about running Melee competitively, since this includes a lot of nice options to help out newcomers.

Project M - Basically Brawl but much more balanced and more additional goodies such as more skins. Incredible for what it is.

Since Doom was mentioned, if you're looking for a really fun more-vanilla like experience, a WAD popped up a while ago called Smooth Doom. It's a WAD that's only compatible with ZDoom-based source ports, and it updates every monster and the player's sprites to have much more fluid animation. Combine that with GZDoom and it looks pretty nice. Very fun if you want to re-experience Doom while still maintaining some familiarity.

The Eternity Engine is also kind of cool on the topic of Doom. It's a source port that focuses on porting over some features Quake had and tries to make Doom a bit more "modern". The end result is a Doom source port that can have a lot of nice eye candy for you to take a look at.