Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan0z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's not really what I meant. I was wondering if we could have many boxes come and go for 1 character.
Like:

Levi
Text text text text $n text text text text $n text text text $p

In this case the box would have to be cleaned at least once because they only support 2 lines. This is the case I'm curious about

Reactions: plasturion
LA3-Tools

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry, i was tired yesterday to check how $p (pause / press button - awaiting) works, so yes we can have many boxes for single pointer!
( I tested with more than 200 characters for pointer and it works! )
This is example how text can be formatted:

Levi
Text text text text $n text text text text $p text text text text $n text text text text $p text text text text $p

That produce 3 text boxes for 1 person, so that means there's no limits? Nice! :)
-----
Here are the Tools - from v0.37 and up - stable
Changelog:
v.054
- added fix-patch tool to change limit to 14 letters in the name field of dialog boxes.
- added auto mode .bat files for extracting files, processing and converting.
v.053
- set more accurate lines in forEdit format, added script for building rom.
v.052e
- modified layout of the hash sign in the font to recive slim ".." with
character-pairs, also improved shape of "." and ",", added some exception
to formatter every ".." is changed to ".#" in case to get "..."
v0.51
- added some improvements for fonts and encoder in case of support
of "Action Order" field.
v0.50
- added temporary solution for tiny font generator
v0.49
- added support for overlay files (in the arm9bin dumper/inserter tool)
(all enemy names of the battle maps and some menu labels)
v0.48
- added new tools (messDumper/messGenerator) for the rest files support
(inventory description, fortuneTeller text, chapter names, library data, etc.)
- added another "batch-conversion" pack and *.bat files for easier file transit
- some improvements in ext2edit and formatter tools for the compatibility
v0.47
- added new tools (arm9.bin dumper/inserter) for menu text
- added exception for c-type string formatting code "%s" (encoder)
v0.46
- improved format for easy editing (forEdit) in the text field,
line that begins with semi-colon symbol ";" is ignored now (comment line)
- formDebug minor bugfix (if the "str" substring in the file name not present)
v0.45
- ext2edit and formDebug improved - more accurate filenames recognizing
- formDebug improved - strana, strsel file supported
v0.44
- formatter and formDebug tool bugfix, now it should recognize more correct
last controlcode of second string ("$n"), extended strsel line to 36 characters
v0.43
- another small improvement for the ext2edit tool (34-characters line showing
size limit for the single entry/option of the selection file - strsel)
v0.42
- updated ext2edit tool - added structure numbering as a comment and shape of the caption line
(for easier reference and to work with debug mode)
v0.41
- improved "ext2edit" tool - short lines (32 characters) for the size limit of the dialog boxes with small portrait icon
(all appearances)
v0.40
- added new tool - "formDebug" - formatter with debug mode
(It shows filename and number of the structure/pointer in the dialog box caption (instead of chara's name))
v0.39
- added new optional tools for easy editing and auto-formatting
- new directories and *.bat files for editors / translators
v0.37
- removed whitespaces at the end of file, txt is now stream-friendly
- added that info to the textheader, code cleanup
v0.35
- added textheader (stores more or less important info from input binaries)
- added batch-conversion directories pack (to work with big amount of files)
- added command line support for every script tools (and it's backward compatible without arguments):
Usage:
"tool_name".exe <inputFile> <outputFile>
v0.31
- improved and simplified even more (recognizing amount of pointers) in strTabGen
v0.3
- str0.bin, strsel.bin, strana.bin files supported
- fixed method of recognizing pointers,
- addons (last 4 bytes and null pointers)
v0.2 released
- there was a minor bug in fontgenerator, so I fixed and updated archive, now it should create font file correctly so encoded files will show up fine.

Attachments

• LA3_Tools_v050.7z
    56.7 KB · Views: 184
  • LA3_Tools_v051.7z
    57.1 KB · Views: 76
  • LA3GfxTool_v01.7z
    621.4 KB · Views: 73
  • LA3_Tools_v052e.7z
    57.4 KB · Views: 68
  • LA3_Tools_v053.7z
    57.8 KB · Views: 52
  • LA3_Tools_v054.7z
    62.5 KB · Views: 44
  • LA3_Tools_v055.7z
    62.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by plasturion,

Lan0z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, thanks either way! I wonder how they decide which message will show where... maybe we could add more $p? I fear we might need to shorten a lot of stuff, but we shall see.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's no need, everything should works ok now! I updated tools so yes, we can have many boxes. Thanks for quick find a bug! ( before I released that tools ) that tools honestly are... very limited and buggy. I didn't had chance to test it but stay tuned.

The Minecrafter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@plasturion, a few changes that I might recommend to your tools?
Allow for command line arguments for the tools. so like you could do something like dumper.exe <inputFolder> <OutputFolder>, where it would loop through all of the files in the input folder, and output them in the output folder. That way, we can process a whole batch of files, instead of 1 by 1.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No problem, i can add line arguments for tools. But i think better way is use it for single process like dumper.exe <inputFile> <outputFile> and use batch for loop all files in directory. After some tests all tools seems to work pretty fine, so if you encounter any problem let me know or pm me.

Some useful tips below, and getting started for translators:
shortEllipsis.png

Sometimes one character make a difference in the text line, so let's think about what we can do.

Tips how to obtain short 2-characters wide ellipsis:
We need to compose it from two signs, so we need symbol of the "full stop", and one of not used character.
In the "fonty.txt" file please choose one ( "#" or "&") and edit in the way below:
- find the "." (full stop) and edit - set one pixel on the middle (3rd pixel)
- find "#" and here set only 1st and 4th pixel (next two dots)
Now, every apperance of the ellipsis - "..." in your script files replace to ".#"
Congratulations! That's all! Well done!

Tips how to quickly translate character's names only:
- open all documents you are planning to working on with Notepad++
- select whole line with character's name plus one sign of the next line
- click "Search" -> "Replace..." -> and set Search Mode to Extended, ("Find what:" is filled with your selection already)
- in the "Replace with:" type translated name, next sign on new line "\n", and next first symbol of the next line "-"
- click "Replace All in All Opened Documents"
- now you changed all name appearances in the first string of structure only, with elegant view of unchanged names in the second string, pretty and simply amazing!
names.png

Example of using comments in the second field of structure (dialogbox):
From v046 you can use comment lines so you don't have to delete japanese text
in the file that you are working on, I guess that's very useful.
The comment line starts with semi-colon symbol ";" and here are some examples..
Code:
0127 M 00000000

----0001----
今日はなにかな?
;i'll consider how to translate it later
;tag to find - LOOK01
~---------------------------------------

----0002----
; *** Salesman in shop ***
Welcome!
;いらっしゃいませ~
;keep orginal text, this line is ignored

----0003----
;あたしに用だったりして~
;This entry is invalid
;at least one line must be here

Getting started:
If you are a translator, you can work with this standalone set of tools very easy starting with the following steps...
- prepare a fontfile - look for the "fontgenerator" tool
- extract script files ("str???.bin") to the "1-input" folder in batch-conversion directory pack (it should be all 140 script files)
- make steps to obtain untranslated files with debug mode in "5-output" folder and replace them in tinke with modified fontfile, save and keep
- run this special prepared rom, now non-graphical menus will be half-messed, don't worry about that, every dialog will be half-readable too (kana present, kanji are missing) however every script pharse will be reffered to current file and structure number in the "name" position of dialogbox, using this rom should be helpful to find current intermission file during a gameplay or you can know where to jump to further place in your script file during a chapter flow or you can just follow the face expressions to make sure what was the closest meaning (script files only may be not enough for that).
- open converted files to easy editing in "forEdit" directory (work place) using notepad++ (Shift-JIS, unix newline) and look for the "----" lines (they should have different size at different positions)
(they are only "comment-graphical" objects (leave them) indicating how much text can be placed in the box window so you can predict what sentence to use manually controlling a wordwarp - staying in two lines limits per window box. Remember you can put more than two lines in single structure/entry, or even clear the box after first line.
(check readme for details about ext2edit tool and limits for the structure of two strings, you can check how CAUCHR.bin is formatted after ext2edit conversion)
- look for the available charset in the readme file, you can also use some Shift-JIS characters (from range 0x813F to 0x879C) alongside with character-pairs in the same line
(however keep in mind about odd and even position - last odd single half-sized latin character before full sized Shift-JIS character will be paired with a half-sized space after encoding)
- good luck

Reactions: LuminousCat

Johnny675

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this project can be completed, thank you and everyone involved for the hard work
I am looking forward to playing this
I never understood why we would get 1 & 2 but not part 3
That's like why would they port Lunar Silver Star to the psp and not Eternal Blue
Just dumb

OverTheRinabow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I recently stumbled onto this project entirely by accident, but I am capable of assisting with translation.

I had actually played through the first 2 Luminous Arc games years ago, and then after running a Japanese copy of Stella Glow a few weeks back, I really got an appetite to finish the original trilogy.

I'm actually doing my first run of LA3 right now, and I'm making a lot of notes as I go along. I'm already browsing through and editing a bunch of the script files, but it's probably going to take a while, especially since I believe that I'm currently the only translator working on this project. However, even if I can't finish the whole script (the size of these files is pretty daunting), I want to at least contribute something. If people want to donate to help keep me going, that would be greatly appreciated, although this is something that I do genuinely enjoy doing.

At the moment I'm going to be updating the Discord server with my translation notes and progress, so anyone interested can check out what I'm up to over there.

Also, if there's anything you'd like to ask of me, feel free to do that here too.

Read DxD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so very much.

I was actually part of a 3 person group of complete strangers that was trying to do the same years ago despite not having any useful skill besides native English that went almost nowhere, so this means a lot to me. Again thank you.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're welcome I added support for the rest of the files, mostly is menu text - inventory description, library data,
kopin scripts, chapter names, etc. files are in different places, 32 files. I'm not sure that's all of text,
but if someone find out more, let me now so I'll add to the list.

There's some text in overlay9_2 and overlay9_3..., so there's support for these files now.
To display names of enemies on the top screen we need the tiny font 8x8,
I generated that font too, but to make it work I have to change encoding also
for standard font to exact Shift-JIS(now is extended), anyway just for now i maped small font
on the normal font, but this solution is limited, and we can't display some pairs,
there's not that much of them. Just for now it looks fair ok.

There's text also in tmp folder - "tool_00_dt.bin" but is that file needed? (does it appear in the game?)
I'm asking because the strings are pretty long and there's no any formatting codes... well, that's strange.

Ikari65

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
pls keep it up guys i think a few people really wanna enjoy the third entry cause its dumb that they never localized the third game here.
<3

lapistier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just checked in on this thread and found out about all the progress! I'm so stoked about all of this T^T It's been a literal decade of wondering whether or not this would ever be playable, or at least get an English transcript/guide. To see the new tools making it possible for a translation patch is a dream come true. (I was about ready to play through the Chinese patch a few years back and try to translate that instead)

No rush though! Times are tough and heck, we've already waited like twelve years, I can conk out and wait another decade if need be. Thank you all so much for your hard work <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1