Rom hackers/Editors needed for luminous arc 3 translation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by The Minecrafter, May 6, 2016.

1. Vortiene

Vortiene Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2019
    Canada
    Hi! If you hook me up with the github I could potentially help. I'm not a Japanese master, but I have done localization code for software and can compare translations I've seen before.

2. The Minecrafter
    OP

The Minecrafter GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    United States
    What is your experience with Japanese, or translating Japanese text? I would like more people on the project, but I need to know your experience level first.

3. Ryothehelper

Ryothehelper Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2019
    Malaysia
    Well I figured I would just direct translate it..and just rearrange the sentence.. Never really had an experience in translating japanese text before.. But I just wanna help in any possible way I could.. Well..if you guys think I would just slow down the progress..well im okay with any answer

4. The Minecrafter
    OP

Dec 13, 2011
    United States
    What do you mean by direct translate? Do you mean using an online translator tool?

5. Ryothehelper

Ryothehelper Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2019
    Malaysia
    No not exactly..but im using a dictionary..so yeah

6. The Minecrafter
    OP

Dec 13, 2011
    United States
    Unfortunately, I am looking for someone who knows japanese an not just using a dictionary or google to translate the text.

7. Ryothehelper

Ryothehelper Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2019
    Malaysia
    Okay then, goodluck

8. LuminousCat

LuminousCat Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Poland
    Hello guys, I'm really happy that there is still chance for this game to get a fan translation one day, because I love Luminous Arc series and I'd love to play the 3rd part as well. I was wondering how the works are progressing. Unfortunately I can't be of any real help, because I don't know about rom modification and I don't know Japanese either (but this game among others is one of the reasons I'd like to learn at least to read Japanese). I've seen in previous posts that some people were given access to currently translated/original script on Google ~group which was later moved to GitHub. If it's possible I'd love to get it as well - it will be cool to understand at least part of the story and maybe try to translate what is yet to be translated for my private use and maybe learn some japanese in the process.
    I would PM The Minecrafter like people previously did, but this is freshly made account, just to write this post and I'm not able to send PMs yet. So if there would be a chance for me to get the English and/or Japanese parts of script I would be very thankful.

9. The Minecrafter
    OP

Dec 13, 2011
    United States
    If you know japanese, I'll give you access to the private github page. However, if you are interested in where to get the scripts, I can help you there. Extract the rom using DSLazy/DSBuff, and then browse to data/usr2/eventdata, and the scripts are str***.bin. Open them with something like Notepad++, and change encoding to Shift-JIS.

If anyone knows any japanese, let me know, and I'll add you to the github page.

10. LuminousCat

LuminousCat Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Poland
    Like I said - unfortunately I don't know Japanese, but thank you for the advice about getting the script!

11. LuminousCat

LuminousCat Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Poland
    @The Minecrafter do you know maybe in which file free/night-time 1st chapter self-dialogue (when you interact with some object, not npc) are stored and/or in which file things like secret info Gill/Jill the librarian sells is stored?
    I figured out that prologue/1st chapter main story starts in str1.bin and free/night-time npc dialogues are stored in str0.bin (at least for now) and with the use of ScreenTranslator (applied on DeSmuME emulator) I was able to find the matching lines in the script and translate them more accurately than ScreenTranslator itself does it (no mistakes introduced by OCR), but I can't find the things I mentioned and I don't know effective way of searching through 100+ script files in japanese.
    Other than that, thanks to your advice, the game is pretty playable for me (especially if you watch a lot of anime and you are able to recognize some japanese phrases by listening or reading romaji which translators like google translate provide (the translation itself is not always correct, but definetely gives some hints about the message). It would be tedious to play this game like this for someone who is casual / don't have enough time and determination, but for someone who loves the series and want to know the story at least to some degree - it's doable.

12. The Minecrafter
    OP

Dec 13, 2011
    United States
    My recommendation would be to use notepad++ or similar, drag and drop all of the script files into notepad++, and then do a find in all open documents.

13. LuminousCat

LuminousCat Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Poland
    Thanks again, object interaction was also in str0.bin file after all, but I must have failed to correctly OCR/find couple samples and gave up too quickly (there are some japanese signs that look the same after OCR, but they are encoded differently in the files and search won't find them). The books/stories that are accessible through Gill/Jill the librarian dialogue seem not to be stored in str*.bin files though and I gave up on looking for them for now. I guess it's not that important apart from getting the backstory.
    Apart from that, big star intermissions/after break (and maybe other things like spa events?) dialogues seem to be stored in files str27 to str137, and it's one intermission per file (no choice intermissions/after break seems to be stored in str0.bin).

Last edited by LuminousCat, Mar 31, 2019
  14. LuminousCat

LuminousCat Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Poland
    Ok, so as a self-exercise, I started translating main storyline and intermissions starting with Chapter 1 (right after Lily's death) and recording it as youtube videos with English subtitles. I skipped the prologue, because it was already translated and put on youtube long time ago. So if someone wants to know what happens next, he can at least watch it.

Of course this translation is completely unprofessional, because I don't know japanese (except some romaji) and also I'm not a native English speaker. Translation was made mostly by correcting Google Translate and Microsoft Bing Translator results. I know it's not the way how it should be done and there are some messages I wasn't able to understand and translate (in such cases I put the (?) sing at the end of the message), but they are not that many as you would think and sometimes shitty translation is better that none. Overall sense of the story and all events should be preserved. So if you wanna watch it, here you go:

I'll be translating and recording next parts of the story whenever I get enough time and motivation.
    I know the messages appear too fast, but I can't help it, because that's the speed with which the game displays them automatically and confirming every message manually with a button while recording would be too much pain in the ass. Also the music/voices can stutter at times, but it's a problem with an emulator/too slow CPU and I can't help it either.

EDIT1: Here's Glen's 1st Intermission with both good and bad answers and outcomes:

EDIT2: Here's Librarian Gill 1st Intermission:

EDIT3: Chapter 2 part 1:

EDIT4: Chapter 2 part 2:

EDIT5: Hiyo's 1st Intermission:

EDIT6: Eruru's 1st Intermission:

EDIT7: Chapter 3 part 1:

EDIT8: Chapter 3 part 2:

EDIT9: Ashley's 1st Intermission:

Last edited by LuminousCat, Mar 31, 2019
  15. Mattiator

Mattiator Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2019
    Canada
    I'd be interested in proofreading and editing on the English side of things, if you're still looking for an editor.

16. iromoki

iromoki Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2016
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I would like to help with proofreading on the English side too.

17. Checkmarc

Checkmarc Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    Great to see that there are people working on this. I'd also like to help, but I don't have any skills that can apply here.

I did teach English for a while, though I don't think that will be of help. HAHA. Goodluck guys! Thank you for giving us hope!

18. raichu2722

raichu2722 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Oh boy! I hope you guys succeed. I've been waiting for this project for years now and haven't given-up hope.