Rom Hack Sellers at Flea Market

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by GameSoul, Aug 11, 2008.

Aug 11, 2008
  1. GameSoul
    OP

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I was browsing the flea market and saw two asian guys selling GBA games. I thought why not, and looked at some of them. I noticed Pokemon Rom Hacks like ShinyGold being sold in cartridges. Wtf? A small crowd started to form there and I left trying to take one of his games. J/K. Well, did anyone else encounter this online or anywhere else?

Here's a pic of what it looked like that I found from Google.

[​IMG]

2. Tragoedia181

Banned Tragoedia181 B*tch I Look Like Goku!!

United States
    i saw people doing this on ebay.problem is doing this is illegal and it useally the lowest version

3. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Cheap bootlegs....avoid that stuff, it often comes with short time working battery, or not working at all..SO it's impossible to save....
    And it's quality is very poor....Better save money and buy yourself a cart, and flash it with Pokemon ShinyGold!

4. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Best (illegal) hack ever:

Street Fighter 2: Rainbow Edition.

Video in spoiler link.

EDIT: i guess i should explain, Rainbow was a hacked SF2 board sold around the US (prolly other places as well... i just heard tons of stories from around the states of pizza shops having it as their only arcade game for a long time) after Championship Edition came out. It was highly frowned upon by capcom (duh), but the rom is available for Mame and is SHITtons of fun. No pause after fireballs (which EVERYONE can throw, and they follow the opponent vertically... i.e. if they jump, it follows upwards), fireballs are REALLY slow, any move can be done in the air (even jumping... unlimited jumps lol), air throws, change character mid-round... TONS of random shit, LOTS of fun.

5. GameSoul
    OP

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    LOL I have a flashcart already. I bought a fake LeafGreen before and i was pissed at the grammar and text. Fail XD

6. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    yeah loads of thes kicking about not so much on ebay lately as they stomp on the sales of thes cards quite quickly [​IMG]

there was POKEMON CHAOS,POKEMON ORANGE,SHINEY GOLD,QUARTZ .. (as above) etc etc and just about all the other hacked roms out there at one point with boxes and legit looking carts complete with labels [​IMG]

usually they say NINTONDO on the back of the cards instead of NINTENDO for obvious reasons [​IMG]

7. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Rofl. Ninbrawndo. Its got what games need. Its got Electrolytes.

8. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    ok... I saw this on my friends pak. except he had built in cheats

9. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I'd actually like to buy a hack...You can reflash the cart, right?

10. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    No.

11. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I don't think you can reflash it... Unless it was a flashcart or something... I dunno.

If you don't have the link to the real hack with the newest version, here it is on pokecommunity: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100537

It's the official topic from the creator of the hack. Best not to buy any hacks as they usually don't work too well, saves get deleted, or it's an old version.

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have seen these for years (check some of the earlier nes hacks (final fantasy 3 Japanese naming has one) and they will usually come with a warning of sorts or some of the older rom hacking places like zophars, dejap boards......).

Re the carts 2 main sorts:

Write once memory. Usually a very small amount and the 30 in 1 packs are usually the same 6 games with some hacks built in.
    The good ones have saves or games that do not need them.

SRAM only. Lasts as long as your battery (which as others have said it nearly always bad).

13. Blackout

Member Blackout GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I cannot believe anyone who would buy these. Although my friend did get Chaos and Quartz from China. They were pretty thrilling to play, and it used completely different Pokémon and sprites (and the people did a surprisingly good job of integrating the sprites into the background). Still quite fun to play, and I got a few laughs in the process. [​IMG]

14. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Japan
    I saw a lot of those at a toy store before, oh and the toy store is one of the biggest toy store chains in the country so people actually bite.

15. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Lol that looks awesome I'm gona try that out.

16. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    I actually bought PokeMon Chaos Black and Quartz.
    Then I dumped them and traded in the original packs to GameStation, for a copy of PokeMon Emerald.
    Rom Hacks=Proffit!
    They gave me more credit, cause they said that those games are REEAALLY rare.
    Try it!

17. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Hey, but Shiny Gold is free! And it actually works!
    The author scripted it, featuring all Pokemon from The original Red Pack to the Expansive Diamond Pack

That said, they're actually selling free items [​IMG] shoot them with Magnum!

18. srkelley

Newcomer srkelley Member

United States
    I used to play Special Champion Edition on my Genesis all the time, but now I finally understand why there's two of the same guy in that opening, someone obviously htought it was racist to leave it the same for the home consoles, but that intro made me laugh about a dozen times. It's unexpected and so funny, especially wen the guys going down after being punched. He looks like a black version of makalov (From Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance)

19. Miltank

Newcomer Miltank Member

United States
    Lol, I think they actually did a great job it looks very nice. [​IMG]
    Ofcourse don't buy this stuff but I like it!

20. Licardo7

Member Licardo7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I buyed Pokemon Orange from a fuckin flea market for 15 bucks. It was like the 2nd version of it. What sucked is that It only saved twice then it would erase the data. 6 months later and I found out I clould get it for free. v_v