Rom downloading at College

campbell00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the deal, I'm itching to give Pokemon Black* a whirl, along with some other SNES games (that I own. didn't bring it with me to college). The thing is, I'm a freshman at college, and I have no idea what is safe and what is not. I know that using P2P services like Bittorrent is asking for trouble, but what about regular downloads? Does anyone know the process in which people are detected for copyright infringement?

*I have no intention of playing the JAP version. I fully intend to buy it; I'm just really curious about the revamp battle system.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You're on their network, they can see what you do.

They simply look at what you're doing and determine if it's illegal or not the way a normal person does.
tongue.gif

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Just use a proxy to bypass the server, they can still catch you but it's harder+ depending on the computer techs there, you might not even get caught.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use SSL, or just don't worry about it colleges really don't care what you do on their network as long as you don't get them in trouble they wont complain if no one complains to them.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
TheDestroyer said:
Junior here, and I did download games on my campus and even play MMO lol
Lol back when I played maple, I remember me and a friend were in the school library doing our work, lol the schools net was slow so we started downloading maple (it was about 700mb then) and it said 3days, we left it on for 3 days, go to the school library later and it was complete lol, then...we played!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
When you're using a proxy (which is what hides your IP), the proxy itself (which is somebody else's computer on the internet) can see every thing you do online. It all passes through their computer. Everything you send out and everything you get back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_proxy

So while a proxy may hide your real IP from the site you visit, the proxy itself has your real IP and more.

Not to mention that somebody in control of your network can still sniff your traffic.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
When you're using a proxy (which is what hides your IP), the proxy itself (which is somebody else's computer on the internet) can see every thing you do online. It all passes through their computer. Everything you send out and everything you get back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_proxy

So while a proxy may hide your real IP from the site you visit, the proxy itself has your real IP and more.

Not to mention that somebody in control of your network can still sniff your traffic.
Meh, I guess my schools techs are just dumb then, considering they don't catch a single thing we do with a proxy, I would post the name but I don't know if I can do it here, I don't see anything about it in the rules but better to be safe then sorry.

campbell00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:

They simply look at what you're doing and determine if it's illegal or not the way a normal person does.
tongue.gif

Do college campuses normally have the capacity to see EVERYTHING you do online? I thought that they could only monitor bandwidth...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
campbell00 said:
Rydian said:

tongue.gif

Do college campuses normally have the capacity to see EVERYTHING you do online? I thought that they could only monitor bandwidth...
If somebody controls the router/gateway you're using, they have the capability to see everything passing through it.

Now, most of the time it's not set up because they don't really give a fuck who you're mad at on facebook or whatever, but it's still a possibility.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
campbell00 said:
If somebody controls the router/gateway you're using, they have the capability to see everything passing through it.
And after all the Googling, I had assumed that it wasn't possible. How do you go about getting it setup for full monitoring?

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really don't think they would care. I mean, my college has an open WiFi that anyone can join without logging in. You could do all sorts of illegal things and they wouldn't even know who you are. As for residence halls, they don't care unless the RIAA or MPAA sends them a subpoena, which won't happen if you download from a filesharing website (and they wouldn't care since it's not American movie/music).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
epicCreations.org said:
And after all the Googling, I had assumed that it wasn't possible. How do you go about getting it setup for full monitoring?
If you just have a cheap at-home router (generally ISP-supplied) they tend to have the logging functions crippled or disabled. A school with hundreds of students would not be using a single cheap-ass router.
tongue.gif

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
epicCreations.org said:
If you just have a cheap at-home router (generally ISP-supplied) they tend to have the logging functions crippled or disabled. A school with hundreds of students would not be using a single cheap-ass router.
tongue.gif
Aww! I guess my WRTxxG Linksys router won't cut it then. It comes with that EasyLink Adviser thing, which must mean it's cheap!
closedeyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol