Review Rockman.EXE: Operate Shooting Star Review

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
OP
Trophies
XP
ROCKMAN.EXE: OPERATE SHOOTING STAR UNOFFICIAL REVIEW
4414rockmanexeoperatesh.png

I'm a big fan of MegaMan. It was my Dad who introduced me to the X series and I decided to widen my experiences with the other series too. Rockman.EXE: OSS is a 3D RPG. A remake of Rockman.EXE 1 but with a little side story and extras.

Story:

W00t! Hi Rockman.EXE!

We live in a modern world guys?

Having played MegaMan Battle Network 1 loads of times, i actually know how to get along without understanding Japanese. Rockman.EXE: OSS is set in ACDC town in 200X and talks about WWW's plans to take over the world. (God....are all rpgs like this?) You play as Netto Hikari with his Net Navi Rockman.EXE to fight against WWW and their plans to create this "LifeVirus" using 4 Super Programs. There is also a side story, in which Hoshikawa Subaru and Warrock get transported back in time by Clockman ( or something like that >.< ) Harp Note is also transported and disappears. Shooting Star Rockman meets Rockman.EXE and accuses him of being part of Harp Note's disappearance. They have a fight and work together afterwards.

Gameplay Mechanics
RM.EXE: OSS is like most other RPGs you play. D-Pad to get around, B to walk ( or run ), Interact with A and other basic stuff like that.

The eye catching part though is the Battle Mechanics. You have a 3x3 grid that you can move around and use B to shoot viruses. When your Custom Gauge is full, Tap L/R and you are presented with a "Card-like" Battle chip system where you can pick the chips you need and either, attack, defend, recover and escape (and maybe a few others). This is especially unique because this can let your strategy run wild and unlike other RPGs, You don't get a menu-like system where you pick magic and pick a spell and press ok and blah blah blah blah blah........
4414rockmanexeoperateshc.png

Graphics and Sound

The art style is a nifty isometric viewpoint, with enhanced graphics from the GBA version and animations are very smooth. In the battles, when you move, you kinda "teleport" to a new tile. But attack animations work very well and are very detailed. One thing that does let me down is the battle background. The speech box's profile picture has also been enhanced from the GBA versions.

Sound, i feel, is kept at the same quality or maybe a bit enhanced also. (Or at least the BN1 story mode was anyways...)
If you download and listen to the high quality recording, you can notice the difference.

Summary

I think that this enhanced port is VERY well done and well polished and they even went through trouble to add more new features and improved some elements from the GBA version. One drawback though is lack of wifi. You have wifi in the last few Shooting Star Rockman series...Why not put wifi in this port? I find this game very enjoyable. Professionnally done but the sound could be improved. This game deserves a 8/10. Thank you Capcom for another fantastic game.

~fgghjjkll - The GBATemp MegaMan

Saloma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fgghjjkll said:
I think that this enhanced port is VERY well done and well polished and they even went through trouble to add more new features and improved some elements from the GBA version...
Such as? Other than Shooting Star Rockman, all they changed was being able to run from battle by pressing L, and two battlechip rows instead of three on the custom gauge. Any other changes (some chip code changes, some cards had damage changed) are negligible.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Reguardless, As stated above, he is a true Megaman fan, and so am I, sure its just a port of Number 1, but its still a good game never the less, the review could be in more detail though, including Cons and Pros, and what you DIDNT like, theres gotta be something.

i did enjoy this game also
happy.gif

Thanks for the review

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on the side that this game is quite lazy for even Capcom's standards. The original game is good, and the DS one is still good, but they really didn't improve the game much at all. Heck, even the DS port of EXE 5 had remixed music! This game only has a remix of the title theme. Ridiculous if you ask me. I do consider the map a nice new feature, but it was only needed because the internet is so convoluted. No such issue in the sequels.

However, my GBA flashcard is long broken. That being said, I'm glad of a way to play the game on my DS. Not like I'm paying for it. It's not a very good remake, but it doesn't make anything about the original worse. And that's more than I can say about other remakes (*coughSEGASONICGENESISGBAcough*, ahem excuse me).

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game is alright... Could be better, but it's bearable for a port.

I do find myself using SSR most of the time after his scenario. Gives my X and Y button a use...

mattwo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's that about the GBA port of sonic? Or were you referring to the arcade game which has nothing to do with the genesis anyway? Well regardless, back on topic. You can play as SFM/RNR?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was referring to Sega's tragic butchering of the original Sonic 1 on GBA. Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis. Lazy though this port is, it doesn't break the original game like Sega did to their masterpiece. Just saying, I don't hate this port. It could have been better, but it could have been worse.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: