Rocket League is going free to play, leaving Steam

oKfr55z.png

Harkening back to the days when Rocket League found its audience as a free PlayStation Plus title, the game is going to be free, permanently. Rocket League is making the move to free to play this summer, following a large content update and a release on the Epic Games Store. The game will be getting a menu revamp, while also improving the way in-game tournaments work, and adding crossplay for the new EGS version. If you've previously bought the game and played online at least once, you'll be "rewarded" with a few perks in the form of in-game items. All DLC will be unlocked for you, you'll get a custom player title that shows the year you first played the game, over 200 items you can equip on your car that will now be considered "legacy" cosmetics, a player banner, and a special boost and wheels. All of those items will be given once Rocket League makes the switch to free to play sometime this summer.

However, the game will be leaving Steam. Those who already own it there will continue to be able to play it there, but new players on PC will have to get it via Epic.

Once Rocket League goes free to play, anyone who already owns Rocket League on any platform (including Steam) will be able to play and enjoy the game with full support for future updates and features. However, the Steam version will no longer be available to download for new players. To put it simply, wherever you play now (including Steam), you'll still be able to play in the future.

:arrow: Source

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Epic Games haters are very retarded ngl

WOT?!?!? Don't you know the haters buy all of their clothes, food, beverages, necessities, cars, drugs, electronics, music, and yes... video games... ALL at the exact same store?

You anti-Epic people are ridiculous. If you base your dislike of a company upon some of their business practices, you should just stop shopping EVERYwhere, because I have some news for you regarding the places you still shop. It's probably best you all stick to that one single location that stocks everything you will ever need & is owned and operated by none other than Jesus himself. That way your hard earned $$$ certainly will NOT benefit any shadiness going on behind closed doors that you are obviously unaware of. I hope none of you Epic haters spend a dime on Steam, Amazon, GameStop, Walmart, Target, Kroger, Costco, Home Depot, Walgreens, CVS, Lowes, Apple, Google, your ISP, cable company, Best Buy, McDonalds, ALdi, Dollar General, your cell company, Starbucks, etc, etc. etc. I could go on for pages.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOT?!?!? Don't you know the haters buy all of their clothes, food, beverages, necessities, cars, drugs, electronics, music, and yes... video games... ALL at the exact same store?

You anti-Epic people are ridiculous. If you base your dislike of a company upon some of their business practices, you should just stop shopping EVERYwhere, because I have some news for you regarding the places you still shop. It's probably best you all stick to that one single location that stocks everything you will ever need & is owned and operated by none other than Jesus himself. That way your hard earned $$$ certainly will NOT benefit any shadiness going on behind closed doors that you are obviously unaware of. I hope none of you Epic haters spend a dime on Steam, Amazon, GameStop, Walmart, Target, Kroger, Costco, Home Depot, Walgreens, CVS, Lowes, Apple, Google, your ISP, cable company, Best Buy, McDonalds, ALdi, Dollar General, your cell company, Starbucks, etc, etc. etc. I could go on for pages.
Its more like we'd rather shop at a store that isnt 40% done LMAO I only use it for free games and thats it :rofl2: I sure as hell wont be putting any money into them and I hope others are doing the same :wink:

Reactions: HRudyPlayZ

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France

You can know that Epic is like 2^25 times worse than Steam right? Most Epic Haters don't hate them for the shitty practices they used to do, but they hate them because of the shitty practices they continue to do. Steam never bought out any exclusivity deals to slow down their concurrence... Valve lets you use Source without secretly taking all your money to a 20% - hidden close in your contract. Please also note that, by (totally legally of course) decompiling both storefronts, you can see pretty quickly that Epic is bad for your internet privacy. Why would we encourage something like this where the concurrence gives us a much more complete store that doesn't care about the OS you're using, that lets you create and use mods (in fact, Steam was first made to only be the workshop part, but later evolved into a distribution service for valve games to finally become a general game distribution service), that lets us use any controller in any game, that lets us chat, ... most companies you're naming weren't that bad... Amazon, Walmart, Costco, Best Buy and GameStop did have some crunch but it's not comparable to the huge crunch that fortnite devs had to support... Why do you think they can release new cosmetics pretty much every week? Magic? Nope, just exploiting the poor people working their ass off to get money.... I would agree that Apple is a pretty shitty company aswell, they're even marketing their devices as protection for your privacy when they do collect as much data as Microsoft does.
For Google, your ISP or cable company, they never tried to hide that they collect your data, it is known, Google never tried to censor some sites for saying "stop using Google, they collect your data" or something. Epic on the other hand, censors everyone who talks about honk kong. Clearly, people have a reason to hate Epic, trust me on that.

Reactions: DarthDub and Physix

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
My friend is always talking about this game...i seriously don't see what its so appealing...
But at least loners will have someone to play with for free which is a good thing even if the game doesnt look interesting :cry:

Reactions: banjo2

DerpDingus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

yes we should just stop complaining and continue to BUY BUY BUY

Reactions: DarthDub

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The user base is small because THERE'S NO FUCKING SOFTWARE.
No it's small because you're part of the 5%. I didn't reference rocket league usage, I referenced hardware usage. For whatever reason is only at 5% for linux and macos. There are plenty of games that run on linux and mac os.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No it's small because you're part of the 5%. I didn't reference rocket league usage, I referenced hardware usage. For whatever reason is only at 5% for linux and macos. There are plenty of games that run on linux and mac os.
I use windows BECAUSE SOME OF MY GAMES DON'T WORK UNDER WINE OR PROTON DESPITE MOST OF THEM RUNNING OPENGL AND STANDARD ENGINES LIKE UNREAL.

Rafciu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I first play it when it was on ps+, back than i was amazed by fun factor of this game. I decided to buy it on steam right away. After a couple years i still think this game is really fun there alot of additional content such as hokey basketball etc, i think best way to play it is on split screen with family/friends. Im happy that more people will be able to check this on free to play model. My only concern is that steam workshop will be removed when it's get removed from steam...

1c4rus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Epic on the other hand, censors everyone who talks about honk kong. Clearly, people have a reason to hate Epic, trust me on that.

You're absolutely wrong and you must be mixing it with Blizzard see the link below.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/blizzard-apologizes-for-mishandling-hong-kong-protestsand

The CEO of Epic Games Tim Sweeney on the other hand was the one supporting free speech, check the link below.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/9/2...eney-political-speech-china-tencent-hong-kong.

Will you please also consider to follow news properly like which stodio, copmany get investment from Tencent and stop use their services as well, thanks.

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-company-that-tencent-has-invested-in/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/...l-memes-amount-winnie-the-pooh-tank-man-china

And today, there is no further finding regarding Epic Games launcher spying on users apart from usual web cookies which is a norm, standart literally in every website infrastructure including Steam. Simply, the link below was the whole controversy about Epic Games spying on us story back in the day but nothing more to add and it's definitely nothing that we can call it as an ongoing fact for today.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-15-epic-responds-to-accusations-of-steam-data-mining

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

HRudyPlayZ

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You're absolutely wrong and you must be mixing it with Blizzard see the link below.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/blizzard-apologizes-for-mishandling-hong-kong-protestsand

The CEO of Epic Games Tim Sweeney on the other hand was the one supporting free speech, check the link below.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/9/2...eney-political-speech-china-tencent-hong-kong.

Will you please also consider to follow news properly like which stodio, copmany get investment from Tencent and stop use their services as well, thanks.

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-company-that-tencent-has-invested-in/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/...l-memes-amount-winnie-the-pooh-tank-man-china

And today, there is no further finding regarding Epic Games launcher spying on users apart from usual web cookies which is a norm, standart literally in every website infrastructure including Steam. Simply, the link below was the whole controversy about Epic Games spying on us story back in the day but nothing more to add and it's definitely nothing that we can call it as an ongoing fact for today.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-15-epic-responds-to-accusations-of-steam-data-mining

A - Yep i did mix it with Blizzard, though, there was atleast one occurence of a similar censorship in an official fortnite tournament, that and random chat censorship (this is a kid's game so understandable but you can't type a lot in chat without seeing stars everywhere). Also, Tm Sweeney only said that to surf on Blizzard's drama.

B - Most companies listed here are either mobile game devs, or known companies with active censorship (Riot aswell). Please also note that both your lists are outdated, Tencent not having renewed their shares on some of them. There's also a difference between acting with Tencent and just accepting their funds, as of now, most of those are still free, though, even if Blizzard was at 15% at the time, they still acted like dicks to satisfy a small shareholder and accept a dictature, guess why (Blizzard probably is more owned from Tencent than it used to be 1 year ago). Please note that your article mentions Discord when Tencent only gave money to them, without taking any shares (this is probably a marketting strategy to secure the priority on stock sales). And for Platinum Games, most of their funds now come from Nintendo (Tencent only owning a small fraction of it due to older stories with Bayonetta)

C - They did in fact try to justify their actions by saying it was to "import your steam friends", which, never worked, and was only a small excuse, as they scanned the whole Steam directory and sent a huge part of it to their servers (excluding games, only keeping the private data), which included, but not limited to, steam friends, ip adresses, steam cache, steam chat, steam usage stats... They also lied when they talked about doing so with user's consent as this was easily verifiable by using a web logging software, they did indeed collect data even before clicking accept, this was also not mentioned in their privacy policies. Even if their reason was to add your friends, i don't see why a store would need to sniff into it's concurrent files if it's not just to be malicious and infringe on concurrence laws. Imagine if your ISP, discretly entered your older one's servers to steal data, that would be illegitimate, even if your ISP says it's to ease the migration or something... that's the same thing here.

I personally wouldn't encourage a shitty company that does everything it cans to be anti-consumer, even going as far as having a broken refund system (which used to not even be there, at first you had to make a chargeback from your bank's account to get your money back remember) and difficult way to delete your accounts. I mean EGS literally started to bundle rootkits aswell (they're not managed by Epic, but why the hell would i need an anti-cheat to go shopping, Epic, hum?). If you want to support them, you do what you want, but between a company that doesn't care about what OS you use, that lets you say anything, that lets you refund easily, that doesn't install any rootkits and that doesn't really care about DRMs (yeah people are saying that Steam is bad as it has DRMs, but keep in mind that they never really updated it and it's one of the lightest and most easy to remove aswell) and a company that actively supports microtransactions and doing everything to be anti-consumer the choice is easy for me.

Last edited by HRudyPlayZ,
Reactions: Tarmfot

1c4rus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
A - Yep i did mix it with Blizzard, though, there was atleast one occurence of a similar censorship in an official fortnite tournament, that and random chat censorship (this is a kid's game so understandable but you can't type a lot in chat without seeing stars everywhere). Also, Tm Sweeney only said that to surf on Blizzard's drama.

B - Most companies listed here are either mobile game devs, or known companies with active censorship (Riot aswell). Please also note that both your lists are outdated, Tencent not having renewed their shares on some of them. There's also a difference between acting with Tencent and just accepting their funds, as of now, most of those are still free, though, even if Blizzard was at 15% at the time, they still acted like dicks to satisfy a small shareholder and accept a dictature, guess why (Blizzard probably is more owned from Tencent than it used to be 1 year ago). Please note that your article mentions Discord when Tencent only gave money to them, without taking any shares (this is probably a marketting strategy to secure the priority on stock sales). And for Platinum Games, most of their funds now come from Nintendo...

Dude, your whole answer is assumption without any notable fact or understanding of how business actually works. You just lie yourself and your attempt is rather fueled with ignorant confident. I can agree all the day with anyone about how Epic launcher is lack features but this kind of things are plain BS.

HRudyPlayZ

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dude, your whole answer is assumption without any notable fact or understanding of how business actually works. You just lie yourself and your attempt is rather fueled with ignorant confident. I can agree all the day with anyone about how Epic launcher is lack features but this kind of things are plain BS.
You're an Epic fanboy aren't you?
I mean it's like console fanboys saying that you can't really see the difference after 60fps...
Also, sorry but i clicked upload by mistake, i edited the post to be complete btw :P

Edit: Also, i'm not a Steam fanboy by any mean... i support GOG all the way if you ask me. #FUCKDRM (Especially things like Shitnuvo or other rootkits)

Last edited by HRudyPlayZ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉