Rocket League is going free to play, leaving Steam

oKfr55z.png

Harkening back to the days when Rocket League found its audience as a free PlayStation Plus title, the game is going to be free, permanently. Rocket League is making the move to free to play this summer, following a large content update and a release on the Epic Games Store. The game will be getting a menu revamp, while also improving the way in-game tournaments work, and adding crossplay for the new EGS version. If you've previously bought the game and played online at least once, you'll be "rewarded" with a few perks in the form of in-game items. All DLC will be unlocked for you, you'll get a custom player title that shows the year you first played the game, over 200 items you can equip on your car that will now be considered "legacy" cosmetics, a player banner, and a special boost and wheels. All of those items will be given once Rocket League makes the switch to free to play sometime this summer.

However, the game will be leaving Steam. Those who already own it there will continue to be able to play it there, but new players on PC will have to get it via Epic.

Once Rocket League goes free to play, anyone who already owns Rocket League on any platform (including Steam) will be able to play and enjoy the game with full support for future updates and features. However, the Steam version will no longer be available to download for new players. To put it simply, wherever you play now (including Steam), you'll still be able to play in the future.

:arrow: Source

Naxster

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Wait what will happen to us who bought the game on Steam? I know that the game will still be available in Steam, but will we receive any in-game updates?

Or will all the future updates only be in Epic Games?

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok so let me resume the situation:
- The guys who bought it on Steam still keep it, with future updates and have the DLCs and special items offered to them.

- New users have the game for free without any bonus content offered and on a shitty store exclusively.

- The game should have gone F2P from the start, as it had already all the shitty mtx things included. This is a good thing (and that's rare that going f2p is good) as it allows more people to get the game, albeit on a shitty store. The only bad thing that could happen would probably be cheaters, but i doubt that Rocket League will become worse than Forknite in that matter... This case is different to TF2 / CSGO as going F2P did ruin the games for those (TF2 started bundling mtx, you know those crates) and brought a lot of cheaters.

Techically speaking, the people that are getting screwed are the ones who don't own the game already, as they must use garbage spying store. The people who already own it on Windows, Linux, MacOS are fine and even get bonus content.

Reactions: Darksabre72

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok so let me resume the situation:
The game should have gone F2P from the start, as it had already all the shitty mtx things included.

The people who already own it on Windows, Linux, MacOS are fine and even get bonus content.
the game didnt have any microtransactions when it was first released and it isnt supported anymore on mac or linux

Reactions: Codemastershock

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the game didnt have any microtransactions when it was first released and it isnt supported anymore on mac or linux
Isn't Rocket League working in Proton / Wine? (The EGS version doesn't for sure, as you know, having anticheats and drms in the storefront lol)
Yep, Rocket League didn't have any mtx before but, sadly, they added it a while ago... (should have never been in). Where are my super rocket-powered acrobatic battle cars? :(

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it says it's free to play now but just watch epic fill it with garbage micro$ and stuff that will give the paying idiots the edge over the free players :glare:

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I hate EGS, I for sure will take every free game that they throw at me. I will never give them money. That store is only for freebies for me! It stays off on my pc unless I want to get another free game lmao Atleast this gives my friends a reason to pick up this game since they dont have to pay for it :rofl2:

Reactions: Tarmfot

Quarions

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it says it's free to play now but just watch epic fill it with garbage micro$ and stuff that will give the paying idiots the edge over the free players :glare:
When did they do that (in 2-3 years of fortnite they never made a pay to win cosmetic)? Where did you hear that anyway? r/fuckepic?

retarded mf

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
When did they do that (in 2-3 years of fortnite they never made a pay to win cosmetic)? Where did you hear that anyway? r/fuckepic?
do you really think they are going to make this free to play without making any money from it? instead of being an epic ass licker and FADnight fanboy open your damn eyes and you'll see it :rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1