RockBand vs Guitar Hero

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by shawty00, Aug 18, 2009.

Aug 18, 2009

RockBand vs Guitar Hero by shawty00 at 7:25 AM (1,967 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. shawty00
    OP

Newcomer shawty00 Advanced Member

United States
    Hey! I was just thinking of getting one of these bandkits - guitar, microphone, drumkit - and I wasn't really sure which one to get. They are both $99.99 at Gamestop right now, so I just need to decide which to buy. I read some reviews over the internet and it's pretty even. I just want to hear your guys' input on the topic.

Guitar Hero World Tour or Rockband 2

Also wondering if the bandkit will be compatible with the new Guitar Hero 5 being released soon and if the instruments are compatible with Rockband games. I heard they do but it's just what I heard.

2. Sperion

Member Sperion GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Well I thing the instruments of Guitar Hero are better but the songs in Rock Band are better. but thank god you can use gh instruments on rock band. so i would say buy Guitar Hero World Tour

3. shawty00
    OP

United States
    AWESOME! thank you, i been to other forums and asked this question, and they have been no help at all. or just come and say lol. thanks again

4. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    But I heard someone (don't got any of them) saying erything is working on both exept the drums.

5. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
  6. shawty00
    OP

United States
    Thanks for that link Ossot. I'm sure the drums will work on other Guitar Hero games. If not oh well. lol. Thanks !

Can anyone give me a link with all the tracks on both games?

7. jazvdb

Member jazvdb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you a game downloader....

then buy the World Tour Kit, then you could just get the Rockband game, if you know what i mean....

8. shawty00
    OP

United States
    I do handheld downloads nothing more. I don't like getting my systems modded. I just have money right now to spend. Haha. I am thinking of doing that anyways, but instead of downloading I am going to buy it.

9. jazvdb

Member jazvdb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well its really up to you...

10. shawty00
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I think I'm going for Guitar Hero World Tour. Thanks for the input.

11. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    You should buy GHWT or GH5's kit, and buy RB2. GH's instruments are much better, while the RB2 game itself is currently tons better than GHWT (wait until GH5, if that has full compatibility, it might be a better game)
    RB1 is crap when it comes to compatibility (that's why you use RawkSD). RB2 is the only current 'full compatibility' music game on the Wii.

12. Bluee

Newcomer Bluee Member

United States
    If you're at all serious about playing the drums, then the RB kit is your only option. The GHWT drums are considerably sh1tty and they don't translate properly to RB2 songs. It is true that RB drums don't work on GHWT, but that's negligible since RB2 has a better playlist, better DLC, better drums (as already stated), and essentially is completely hacked and open on the Wii.

13. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Well they sorta do, because on the Wii version, the orange cymbal counts as blue. It makes it a lot easier to play compared to the xbox 360 (where the orange cymbal does nothing).
    The only songs that don't translate properly is those songs where red/yellow swap (red becomes hihat) and the parts of songs where yellow is a tom. Otherwise, it works fairly well.
    The Guitar Hero drums are considerably quieter too (haven't heard how loud goodwood pads are, but they're probably quieter).
    The guitar of Guitar Hero is much better, depending on your tastes. If you want to have quick calibration though, get the Rock Band 2 guitar. It has a calibrating microphone.

14. Rammoth

Member Rammoth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I personally prefer Rock Band over Guitar Hero by shitloads. There are a few things to consider.

First of all, the instruments: Of course this is for your own preference, but the Guitar Hero guitar feels a lot more stable and good to play with, though it's relatively small, more like a mandolin. The Rock Band guitar is bigger, thus making it the size of an actual guitar. The strumming is harder though and the grip is less comfortable than the guitar hero. Again, this is all about preference. I personally own both guitars, but I always use the Rock Band Guitar. Just my preference.
    As for the drums, the guitar hero drums have the hi-hats. The Rock Band drums are sturdier and everyone I know prefer them to play with.

Compatibility: The Guitar Hero instruments can be used on all Guitar Hero editions and everything after Rock Band 2 (including the track packs and the upcoming Rock Band: Beatles). The Rock Band instruments can only be used with all the Rock Band games and it's not known if you can use them with Guitar Hero 5 yet.

Songs: Well, that's basically up to you to decide, but Rock Band has WAY more and versatile choice. I'd say Rock Band definitely has the better song list. Not just on the discs, but also as DLC. You can look up all the songs available on the disc and as DLC for both series on wikipedia.

To sum it up:
    ROCK BAND:
    - Rock Band has the sturdy drum kit and big, yet slightly clumsy guitar. You can use it to play Rock Band 1, 2, Track pack 1,2, AC/DC, Country, Classic Rock. Also the upcoming Beatles, Lego Rock Band, Metal track pack and everything else that will be releases by Harmonix.
    - It is not yet known if starting from Guitar Hero 5, you'll be able to use the RB instruments.
    - It has generally better, more known and waaaay more songs available than Guitar Hero.
    - The style, though slightly cartoony, represent actual excisting stages and life-like people.
    I rate the series 5 stars.

GUITAR HERO:
    - Guitar Hero has the, by many, praised guitar and the much discussed drum kit. Some like it, more don't as far as I know. You can use it to play Guitar Hero 3, world tour, 5, smash hits, metallica, aerosmith, the upcoming Band Hero and Van Halen. Also, you can use them on Rock Band 2 and all the track packs EXCEPT for Track Pack 1 and 2. You will also be able to use them on the upcoming RB Track Packs and Beatles. I'm not sure about Lego Rock Band, but I think it's safe to assume you can.
    - It has less songs than Rock Band and most interesting songs are already available in Rock Band. The DLC is quite bad with mostly indie/underground bands not many people have heard of.
    - The style is very cartoony, over the top. The stages are unreal and you can create fantasy characters.
    I rate the series 3 stars.

Hope it helps [​IMG]

15. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Oh, if you're planning to get GH5, I suggest waiting for that full-band set and buying other games you might want disc-only *coughRockBand2cough*.

16. playingsolitare

Newcomer playingsolitare Member

United States
    I got the GHWT bundle because I heard the GH instruments are better than RB's. With my instruments, I can play GH 3, Aerosmith, WT of course, Metallica, Smash Hits, RB2 (love their custom content), and most likely all the upcoming RB and GH games.

It's better bang for the buck to buy GH instruments than RB instruments since I hear that RB instruments are not compatible with GH games. I like the GH instruments just fine, but I don't have the RB set so I can't compare. Here is the compatibility list (I don't know how accurate it is): http://www.joystiq.com/Instrument-Compatibility-Matrix/

17. shawty00
    OP

United States
    The only reason why I am planning on getting World Tour is because it's cheaper now. 100$ for the BandKit, if I wait for GH5 BandKit it would be at least twice the price of GHWT, if not more. But I guess when it comes out I can read reviews and such, then make my decision. Thanks for your input everyone!