Gaming Rockband Makes Official Track Creation Tools!

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
http://creators.rockband.com/
rockbandnetwork_magma.jpg

I was watching G4 today and "the feed" and got some impressive news from the Rockband Game Developers!!!
For someone with little-to-no musical talent (like me, for example), it's easy to equate the concept of "GH Tunes" (the "Guitar Hero" franchise's in-game music creator) and "Rock Band Network." Both offer ways for fans to get their own musical creations in the game. But Harmonix sees a big difference with what they're doing versus what "GH Tunes" offers.

At a preview event for "Rock Band Network," Caleb Epps, Composer and Sound Designer at Harmonix, talked about what he sees as a vast difference between the two products:

"On the surface it might seem like these two things are related, but I think they're actually really fundamentally different. What we're doing here [with 'Rock Band Network'], you're actually creating the audio and putting that into the game. We're not providing the audio for you to have you compose something with a series of sounds. I guess you can say that "GH Tunes" is more like composition with a series of tools, whereas ['Rock Band Network'] is taking your music and putting it into the game."

Epps did say, though, that you could, theoretically, marry the two titles in a Voltron-esque song-creating juggernaut:

"I guess if you wanted to get really meta about it you could record GH Tunes' and then upload it to 'Rock Band Network' and then chart that, but that would be really, really weird."

The gauntlet has been thrown down, people!

The Rock Band Network is a revolutionary system that will allow bands, studios and record labels to create and sell playable game content from their master recordings using the same professional tools used by our developers. Check out this overview video for more on how it will work.

Harmonix's VP of Product Development Greg LoPiccolo was asked if a compiling program that would allow a band to convert its songs into playable Rock Band tracks might be conceivable. He answered, "It is conceivable, and would be awesome. We continue to talk about this possibility. I can't commit to such a thing at this point, but would love to tackle it if we could find a way."

Of course, the idea of transforming Rock Band into a user-generated platform (a la LittleBigPlanet) where players could create and share/play each others music could be truly amazing and could possibly represent the next step in the evolution of this music game genre.

Later on in the interview he comments that the team is "working on improvements that are obviously missing from the current version of Rock Band, as well as some crazy stuff that no one will expect, but promises to kick ass."

So with all this who wouldnt enjoy uploading and sharing songs with there peers of there fav local bands! Kudos and 2shey rockband you have 1-up'd the Guitar Hero series yet again (rockband beatles ruled!)

Sources:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/roc...r-in-the-works/
G4tv's "the feed"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn