Rock Band DLC Store app for the Wii (Q

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mvgc3, Mar 18, 2010.

Mar 18, 2010
  1. mvgc3
    OP

Member mvgc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [That's supposed to be "(Question)" at the end of the title. Just to clarify in case people think it's a release topic!]

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about joining the Wii development scene for a while, but never really thought of something that would be within my knowledge. As in, I really wouldn't be able to make any real changes in how the games or Wii works (cIOS's especially, or things like RawkSD, Riivolution, or Sneek for example).

Then the other day I was at a friends house, and he opened up a Rock Band DLC shop on his 360. So I was thinking something similar to this would be great to have on the Wii too, particularly with the newer developments in using NAND emulation for the games. When you use it, the in game shop doesn't work. To get new songs you have to either download the whole generation to your PC again (this didn't work for me though. I think I downloaded the files that needed to be updated), or you have to download to the internal NAND and dump it again.

Does anybody have an idea on why something like this hasn't been made yet? Do people not think it would be useful enough? Would it just be too difficult to pull off?

2. tHciNc

Member tHciNc Total Random

New Zealand
    You dont need to download whole generations at all, you just get whatever individual songs you want. I used this
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. mvgc3
    OP

United States
    That's really useful information, but I was really asking about this because I'm interested in making it (not asking someone else to make it cause I'm too lazy to do those things to get new songs).

I was wondering if it would be an overly complicated program, with having the list of the songs, downloading, and converting them to the right format (I'd hope to eventually make it so users could download to a USB NAND, SD NAND, or just an SD card).

4. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    sounds like it would be a neat project, but with the amount of DLC that is currently there, and the amount that is always added, an update to your app would be needed almost constantly

5. mvgc3
    OP

United States
    Well the in-game store doesn't have updates (as far as I can tell), and it has access to the new songs and whatnot. I'd imagine there would be some way to make this work like that. From what I can tell with the PC tools for the 4th gen, it might have something to do with title.tmd.

I guess I should mention that this is a pretty out of the blue idea, and while I have a general idea of some of the features, I'm not entirely sure how they'd work code-wise. That's something more for when I get an idea on the interest in this and maybe, if someone has any, an idea on the difficulty it might propose.

6. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    I suppose there's no reason why it wouldn't work - you'd be downloading the song files from NUS and keying them to your Wii, more or less the same as if you used the music store and not unlike the PC method in function.

The biggest drawback is that you'd be limited by the download and processing speed of the Wii. There's a reason no one manually uses the Music Store to download the entire library once they've spoofed the tickets - it takes fvcking ages. This app could probably be faster because it would skip the obligatory copy-to-SD and update-save-file step after every individual song, but you're still doing something that a PC could do in half the time or less.

Also, out of curiosity, why doesn't the music store work with NAND emulation? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, and I would think anything that makes it not work with Rock Band would likewise hamper a homebrew program that tries to do the same thing. This is also sort of a niche market - is it really that much of an effort-saver to convert a three-click computer process into a one-click Wii process, especially given the relatively small number of people who need this?

7. mvgc3
    OP

United States
    I don't know why it doesn't work with NAND emulation. I can say I've tried it without it working, and that others have had the same results. A homebrew app should work fine, since it's not a matter of downloading the songs and them working. You either can't get into the shop, or you cant get songs to download in the first place (I forget which, since I tried it a while ago). A homebrew app would probably solve this, since it wouldn't involve tricking the Wii (like NAND emulation does), nor would it involve the Wii's NAND to begin with. The imternal NAND is large enough for maybe 7 songs, when almost completely empty. This would download songs to a USB or SD NAND (when it's not being used as such, therefor essentially being a simple filepath) or to the SD card as normal DLC.

Finally, one of the reasons for this topic in the first place is to find out if there's any interest in something like this. So far there's a "kind of" and a "not really".

8. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I for one would use this app [​IMG]

9. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Me too!

10. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada