Rock Band 3 Fender Squier Stratocaster Hype Page

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by mechadylan, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mechadylan
    OP

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Is anyone else looking forward to this?!?!?!

"The Rock Band 3 Fender Squier Stratocaster will be available for pre-order starting January 1, 2011 and will be available March 1, 2011. The guitar is priced at $279.99 and functions as both a Rock Band 3 game controller in the Pro Guitar or Pro Bass modes, and as a real guitar you can play outside of the game."

I only just saw this as an available pre-order starting on 01/31/11 at my local GameStop and I'm totally psyched about it. The "retrobilly kid" that works there is a total douche and spent more time detailing his "salad days" as a guitar tech for "Silly Purple Muffin" (or some shit) than going into the actual specs of the guitar. He proceeded to enlighten me on how he planned on stripping the stock frets in favor of Gibson Les Paul jumbo frets ala his favorite guitarist Wanky DikJerker, or something like that and possibly lowering the "action." I pointed out that although this will be an actual guitar with video game controller features built in, it is actually more of a video game controller based on a real electric guitar "template" that is governed by video game controller features (...his tattoos stopped glowing.)

Anywho, is anyone else looking to pick this up? I'm interested in hearing ideas on any possible mods (OpIV stickers on the pickguard do not count as mods, btw.) I'm assuming that there will be some sort of triggers on the frets or fretboard itself. Inverted headstocks may not be an easy task, but don't quote me on this. If the electronics hold true to the Squier name, everything should be attached to the backside of the pickguard and guitar body mods might be more do-able (so long as the scale length holds true.)

What about string gauge? Is this thing gonna ship with .09 or .10 gauge strings? ... I'm hoping .10 gauge. D'Addario or Ernie Ball Slinkys would probably be the first mod that I undertake. It'll will more than likely ship with stock Fender strings... yech!

Any "leftys" out there? I highly doubt that RB will make an exclusive "lefty model" and instead post some instructions on how to "flip" this bad boy (assuming that the PRO mode is even "lefty" compatible.) The process will undoubtedly include purchasing a "lefty" neck nut and flipping around the individual bridge saddles for every string (again, this is purely an educated guess.)

I'd love to go on and on about this, but I'm interested on hearing your thoughts. After market bridges?, Bigsby Tremolos, B-Benders (ha, I wish,) MIDI to USB interface compatibility with Roland GK's?, etc, etc, etc.

2. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    I WAS, until I saw the price. with the MIDI adaptor, can't I just use any ol' Fender Squier Strato? I have one sitting in my closet, after all...

3. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    The "dry" signal from a non-amplified guitar might still need to be "powered" before the MIDI-USB interface. I wouldn't be surprised if this new piece of RB hardware requires a 9v battery.

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Do you think "any ol' Fender Squier Strato" is going to output a midi signal?

5. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    Not without a MIDI pickup and analog to MIDI module as well as a MIDI to USB converter. But I still suspect that there will be some sort of sensors either on the the fretboard or frets themselves. Otherwise, how will the game know what you're fretting? [​IMG]

6. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    After careful/constant deliberation with reliable sources, I have come to the conclusion that this piece of RB3 hardware will most undoubtedly come shipped with 10 gauge strings:

0.10--E
    0.13--B
    0.17--G
    0.26--D (Nickel wound)
    0.36--A (Nickel wound)
    0.46--E (Nickel wound)

I'd be extremely happy with this. [​IMG]

7. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    So the "neck single coil" looking thing is actually a "string dampener." It can be raised or lowered to either mute or non-mute string resonance. Apparently, this piece of hardware will work with RB3 regardless of tuning (i.e. actual frequency generated by string vibration is moot.) Awesome!

8. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

it requires 3 AAA batteries, which totally sucks for something that is not wireless. i haven't seen any mention of how long the batteries last. my guess is not very long or else they would say up front. i really hate batteries, give me a good old fashion A/C adapter.

9. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    weak for the 3 AAA just week and around 300 bucks if i wanted to play the bass/guitar IRL i would get this but i'm going pass...

10. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Deffo not getting this. Got a much nicer Les Paul copy for myself to play when i want to. Don't need "Pro Mode", don't even have RB3

11. SFenton

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    I would, but I love my Mustang enough as-is and I can always use the MIDI Adapter with that on different consoles.

That said, it's an awesome alternative with only two caveats:
    1) The price. Come on, there are way nicer guitars for that price, even if it is just a game controller.
    2) Someone mentioned using "any ol' Strat". While that's not possible, with some hackery, guitars with MIDI pickups (one for each string!) now work with Rock Band 3. Gimme a bit and I'll see if I can't find the link.

But hey, to each his own, and I hope you all enjoy the guitar. PRO Mode is great fun.

EDIT:

Only gameplay requires the batteries. Using the guitar on its own is just like any other electric guitar.

12. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    just think of it like being a real rockstar. kirk hammit, james hetfeild, zakk wylde....
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    ... all use EMG active pickups. these require a 9-volt battery. when the battery dies, or even gets weak, the guitar starts to crap out on you. and guess what, it doesnt make the guitar wireless. if you want wireless guitar, you have to buy a wireless transmitter. and guess what, that takes another battery. and actcive pickups have no battery gauge. theres no telling when it will die on you. so you gotta keep a big pack of 9-volts around just in case.

so, youre wanting to buy this junk guitar because it will be more like being a rock star than playing a hunk of plastic. so you obviously want to be more like the rockstar experience. well, now you get it. battery requirements and all

13. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    ...and guitar strings, guitar picks, etc.

14. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

except this guitar doesn't use active pickups and you won't get the benefits of such when playing it as a guitar. the battery power is only for the midi commands and game functions which aren't worth battery power imo, if the guitar is already gonna be wired to play the game, i rather have a powered wire instead of batteries.

15. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    This. The 3 AAA batteries are indeed NOT for active electronics as the Squier has but one "passive" bridge humbucker only; plugging it straight into an amp should not require the batteries. However, it is only wired for RB PRO mode to a console via a MIDI OUT which must be plugged into the Mad Katz MIDI to USB controller (probably not included;) and the only way for a MIDI instrument to receive current is through a MIDI IN. Any "current" traveling via the USB cable from the console will cul-de-sac at the Mad Katz controller as it is devoid of a MIDI OUT port that a non-powered MIDI instrument could be plugged into.

With that said, the aforementioned 3 AAA batteries (4.5v) will probably used for the touch sensitive fretboard and strum sensitive technologies ONLY.

16. SFenton

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    You are correct on both counts. The batteries are only for the game, it will function without batteries as an electric guitar, and it does NOT come bundled with the MIDI PRO Adapter. You will need to purchase that separately, bringing the total to $320 + tax.

17. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    One Pickup? This guitar sucks... Why would anybody want something so expensive that's pretty crap in guitar terms and overpriced in controller terms.

18. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    This guitar sucks as an electric guitar not because it only has one humbucker; it sucks because it's a Squier. Eddie Van Halen rocked a single humbucker guitar for years both live and in the studio. Overpriced in controller terms?... absolutely. But it is currently the only name in the game. Personally, I'm hoping for 3rd party aftermarket companies to release "no name" brand guitar/Pro mode controllers for a little bit less; perhaps even a "kit" that can be painted or stained to your liking... (now I know I'm dreaming.)

19. crezwell

Member crezwell GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    delete, double post

20. crezwell

Member crezwell GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I thought the mustang was console specific? Ive been ivvering and arring for ages now on which console to get the mustang for and still cant decide, not that you can bloody get them in england anyway!
    On topic, i've no interest in the squier mainly due to the price, i have an electric and two acoustics so see no need in spending a wedge on an inferior guitar to what i already have