Rock Band 3 Black Screen

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by PyroJing, Oct 24, 2011.

Oct 24, 2011

Rock Band 3 Black Screen by PyroJing at 2:54 AM (1,071 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. PyroJing
    OP

Newcomer PyroJing Member

United States
    I'm not really a Wii modding noob, I knew all the tricks back in the day until I got my PS3 and lost interest in my Wii, especially since my setup worked for most games I downloaded.

But lately I wanted to upgrade my RB2 to RB3 to get the latest DLC tracks. Problem is I am getting a black screen every time I try load the game. I've checked other threads on this topic and they were no help...

I'm using CFG USB Loader to load it and I'm running 4.1U, I first tried with Hermes mload-223 v5, ten tried with Waninkoko's 249 rev 19. I then tried updating to 249 rev 21 and Hermes v5.1 and same results. I know a black screen usually means a missing IOS, so I installed the latest 53, 55, 56 using NUSD and it didn't work (didn't select the patch option, not sure if that matters). I even tried loading the latest 37, 57, 58 and still no success. I even went as far as to install DARKCORPS v1.1, and still doesn't load off the USB HDD nor can it even register it as a game on the disc channel. I haven't tried Neogamma yet but I might try that later.

could just have a bad ISO, but I'm seeing if anyone knows a fix I haven't tried yet...

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Hmm...now that's a fancy hack you've got there. :ha:

Ahem...don't take it the wrong way, but I don't think you understand what you're attempting to do. Games run on just ONE IOS (which one depends on the game...or how the USB loader is configured). It doesn't care about other IOS'es or cIOS'es installed* and it certainly doesn't care which system menu you have.

That being said...rock band 3 (the retail disc) uses IOS56 (source). If you have the latest one, the game will work. Period. (okay, it'll probably also run on any version, but that's aside the issue).

When you installed rev19 or 21, it asked you to give a base IOS. That should be 56 (most games use that base IOS). I could mention that Waninkoko's cIOS is now outdated in favor of d2x (check the sticky in the hacking section), but it should work there as well.
    If you have a base-56 cIOS on your wii, make sure your usb loader is configured to use it for your game. RB3 isn't an exception in any kind, so leave all other hacks or settings alone (except if you're running an out-of-region version of the game). That should do the trick. If it still black screens, I'd say it's probably a bad ISO.

Oh, and please do not use darkcorp when not using discs. That's like changing the framework of your bike when you have a flat tire: it looks fancy and when you don't know how to fix it, you can somehow think it makes a difference, but in reality you're lucky if the thing doesn't fall apart.

*except if there is an update partition, but that's a different matter.

3. PyroJing
    OP

Newcomer PyroJing Member

United States
    Thank you, you were very informative. I learned some new things about the Wii. I knew games loaded off one IOS, but I didn't know ran off one. I've updated to d2x, but I've determined the ISO I was using was bad. I'll try to find a better one.