Riviera on EZ-Flash 4 mini SD

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by squall3031, May 14, 2007.

May 14, 2007
  1. squall3031
    OP

Member squall3031 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hi Guys,
    I just got my EZ-Flash 4 mini SD and I use GBA loader 1.680 which is supposedly to be the best GBA loader for playing GBA games only.

I tried playing Riviera - 32 MB but it won't load. It asked me to write it to flash Rom and so i did. But after 100% writing, the screen went black and nothing happened. I tried playing it without flashing but the Gameboy Screen came up and then after that it froze.

What do i do guys? please help.... are all GBA games 32 MB supposed to be like this on ezflash 4 mini sd ??
    Oh i used EZflash 1.3 to patch the rom.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Modulo's hacked loaders are argueably the best these days:
    No DS loader (goes straight to GBA)
    http://www.4shared.com/file/13462156/87b6d...0315-NoNDS.html
    Reset before running (sorts frameskip issue):
    http://www.4shared.com/file/13462116/e3da1...0315-RESET.html

As for riviera I have it on my cart now. I suggest trimming the rom beforehand, I seem to recall some junk data right at the end of the dump making that impossible to do so here is a patch (xdelta format and I seem to recall I included everything you need in there):
    http://www.4shared.com/file/2993383/d74bd7...ivieratrim.html

Of course you can use a hex editor as well, it is right at the end of the file, delete that and the trimmer will work again.

3. squall3031
    OP

Australia
    I don't know what to do with the two loaders you provided. Which one do i install? both of them ?? they seem to be the same.
    How does that trimming program work if i want to trim other game? Let's say Kingdom Hearts Chain of memories?

EDIT: i used that trimming thing just now...didn't work [​IMG];

4. squall3031
    OP

Australia
    HORRAYY!! i got it to work. I have to write Riviera into NOR, then it will work!!!

cheers dude [​IMG]

5. 4ppleseed

Member 4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
  6. squall3031
    OP

Australia
    I couldn't find any info on that Modulo's hacked loaders.
    So I was hesitant to use that loader.

7. 4ppleseed

United Kingdom
    I loaded the 'No DS loader' on to my EZ4 and I actually like it. No matter if I boot directly or via the R4 is goes into the GBA firmware. I suppose that actually sloves my problems. Just need to get rid of that horrible Star Wars skin.

8. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sorry for not replying, with regard to riveria you said write to disk so I wrongly assumed you already knew, modulos loaders simply replace some soft resets with hard resets (do a binary compare and you will see).

There is no force DS though, quite why you would want to I do not know. GBA loader can use GBA reset or somesuch, search sosukes for it.

4ppleseed I normally would point to the skinning tools but I seem to recall you had some issues.

9. 4ppleseed

United Kingdom
    I'm trying to work them out with my therapist, I'm sure I'll be ok soon [​IMG]

10. squall3031
    OP

Australia
    The only issue that I have is that i don't understand the type of Save that i need to apply for GBA games when using ezflash4 ver 1.3 client as well as the save size. (64. 128, 512 Kbits ?? which one to choose?)

There are flash type, EEPROM type and SRAM type. I don't understand which one is best to choose as I intend to use VBA emulator to import and export save for applying cheats.

11. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    GBA roms have the save type in the header so whatever EZ4 Client or the later hybrid tools say goes, if you really want you could fire it into GBATA though:
    http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/tools.htm

Also if you are going to be doing a lot of GBA then might I suggest you use my updated lists, the most recent one tends to come with a new pack that I and others post but you can grab it seperately here:
    http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?t=1088&start=0

Be sure to check the last few posts as I occasionally put beta versions out but either neglect to update the first post by accident or on purpose.