River City Melee: Battle Royal Special For Playstation 4 Release March 28 2017

Arc System Works, who just recently released Double Dragon IV, (available now on Playstation 4 and Steam for $7) put out another game in a very old series and what may consider the "Older Brother" to the Double Dragon game. That game is River City Melee: Battle Royale Special, and it's launching on Playstation 4 worldwide on March 28 2017.

The game features 25 teams to choose from, 150 unique playable characters, stages with unique gimmicks, multiplayer modes up to 4 local and online, all made fine tuned by developers of BlazBlue series which all focused strictly on the usual shenanigans the series is widely known for, is retro 8-Bit NES style graphics and has humorous gameplay and fighting.

With Super Smash Bros. being a strong mainstay in the tournament scene, it seems that platform fighters are growing into a market all their own. With Brawlhalla and Rivals of Aether making a buzz at events, can the platformer scene adopt another game of this nature?

That’s what we’ll find out, as Japanese-developed title River City Melee: Battle Royal Special releases worldwide on March 28th. Already out in Japan for a couple months now, the game has done well, and will see a release across the planet on PlayStation 4, in the form of a digital release. This game features the same sprites from River City Ransom that we all know, and features online play. This title was also developed in part by BlazBlue developers, in order to improve user experience.

:arrow:SOURCE

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: Imacaredformy2ds

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Rip hopes and dreams of being in the front page
I'm not even gonna try now.
try harder. you can do it if you believe!

@Sonic Angel Knight remember to capitalize proper nouns and use proper grammar next time. It's a bit choppy in that way, and I'd work on front paging it and correcting it, otherwise, but I'm busy right now.

Reactions: Imacaredformy2ds

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap, this is one of those games that I clearly remember playing/remember the sprites from, but I had no idea what the name was. Really sucks it's only coming to PS4, looks fun.
Is probably will be a steam game, it be bad considering Double Dragon IV is also on steam, so is possible. :)

How come you can't remember the name of the game? This game is a legend in pioneer of the "Beat'em up" style games. Way before final fight and streets of rage was a thing. :P

Most People know it as the River city series, but is actually Kuno-kun series in japan, The first game being 1986 in arcades "Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun" Hot blooded tough guy kunio. But internationally is known as renegade, but when river city ransom came out or in japan they call it (Downtown Nekketsu Monogotari) "Downtown's hot bludded story" They basicallu always used the same exact sprites in every game (except the snes games) The stories are always different between regions as well. Until they :D

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
How come you can't remember the name of the game? This game is a legend in pioneer of the "Beat'em up" style games. Way before final fight and streets of rage was a thing. :P
I was only like 6 or 7 when I played it with some other kids at a community center. I never even had a NES myself, only a SNES.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Natsume also recently localized a River City beat-em up game for the 3DS if I recall (Tokyo Rumble I think it was called). Haven't tried it yet, but I always did like the Dodgeball games and the original River City Ransom.
Yes, they did, and is called River City Tokyo Rumble. While the original devs company Technos japan don't exist anymore, the other companies that has been taking care of the games have done good jobs, with other games. But most of them remain exlcusive to Japan. (especially the good ones.) There is quite a few games i should recommend that you can find translations for on Romhacking.net.

I labeled all the ones i suggest some of you play as i have played them myself. The ones labeled with Circle are available in English with official localization translation. Ones with Star (Astericks) Are japanese only but a rom patch exist unofficial translation to english. Ones with X I have not played yet.

• O Official localization english exist
  • * Unofficial translation english exist but you have to rom patch it
  • X Have not played yet. (Intend to)
NES
  • * Downtown Nekketsu Kōshinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundōkai
  • * Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zen'in Shūgō!
  • * Nekketsu Kakutō Densetsu
  • * Kunio-kun no Nekketsu Soccer League
  • * Nekketsu! Street Basket:
    Ganbare Dunk Heroes
SNES
  • * Shodai Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun
  • * Shin Nekketsu Kōha:
    Kunio-tachi no Banka
NEO GEO
  • O Kunio no Nekketsu Dodgeball Densetsu (Known as super dodgeball, Only game in series on Neo geo, and very different than the common dodgeball games. RECOMMENDED)
NINTENDO DS.
  • O River City Super Sports Challenge
  • O River City Soccer Hooligans
  • O Super Dodgeball Brawlers
NINTENDO 3DS
  • Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-Kun Special (Remake of the original 1986 Arcade game, Internatonally known as Renegade.)
  • Riki Densetsu
  • O River City: Tokyo Rumble
  • Nekketsu Mahou Monogatari
  • X Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari SP (Remake of Downtown Nekketsu Monogotari for NES, Known by River City Ransom In USA and Street Gangs In EUR)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can't complain about the price on a Gateway 3DS. :P
I'm not here to judge. So i'm ignoring that. But i do think that there is a lack of the games in the series that should get localization else where besides remaining exclusive to japan. Most of the nes games i listed for starters. With virtual console, there is mostly no reason why it can't get translations, earthbound Beginnings did so i don't see why not.

The better fun games are mostly exclusive to japan, so if that how you can play region free i suggest you try some of them. They may all look the same but each one is unique. The Neo Geo Dodgeball is not like the others since is 3 VS 3 and not teams of 6, is more of arcade game than a simulation RPG or whatever. It uses special moves based on commands by neo geo games.

Nekketsu street basket Ganbare Dunk heroes, is a Basket ball game that is probably ripped off of NBA JAM but is still fun. play with teams of two, everyone has special attacks and powers and instead of shooting into one net, you have 3 :P

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a remake (sort-of?) of Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu, which, as it so happens, got a fan-made remake on the PC just called Kakutou Densetsu or "KD". I'd post a link, but it's one of those grey-area licensed titles... So, if you don't have a PS4 you can go look for that yourself, otherwise this release should be pretty cool.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a remake (sort-of?) of Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu, which, as it so happens, got a fan-made remake on the PC just called Kakutou Densetsu or "KD". I'd post a link, but it's one of those grey-area licensed titles... So, if you don't have a PS4 you can go look for that yourself, otherwise this release should be pretty cool.
You can post a video :P

Also i mean it seem a lot different than that NES game, while i don't think the game is bad, i just remember it being hard. Especially with no English patch. Not only do you get a "Create a chacater" You get to play with a partner and the bad framerate didn't help when trying to do special moves. Also is just hard when the cpu is cheap. :mellow:

While lots of games in the series had bad framerate issues, this was the worst. The basket ball game was fun, and didn't have the bad framerate. It wasn't 60 like that crash and the boys street challenge, but it was like the same as super dodgeball bad. :P

The game is fun though, if you aren't playing with cpu but people instead. Is funny how they can just used the same nes sprites even 30 years after is been made, but games get better i guess so is just funny. :D

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any English patch for nekketsu Mahou Monogatari?
No, I mentioned that already in my list above.
I labeled all the ones i suggest some of you play as i have played them myself. The ones labeled with Circle are available in English with official localization translation. Ones with Star (Astericks) Are japanese only but a rom patch exist unofficial translation to english. Ones with X I have not played yet.

• O Official localization english exist
  • * Unofficial translation english exist but you have to rom patch it
  • X Have not played yet. (Intend to)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended