NULL

risks to using tin foil for rcm?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by jimmyj, May 19, 2018.

1. gallymimu

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Well hackers and makers certainly know better than engineers. Let us know how it goes when you try it.

2. DutchyDutch

DutchyDutch COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    Which seller is it?

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    @subcon959

4. Narin

Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

Former Staff
    Feb 19, 2008
    United States
  5. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Don't listen to these people, using tinfoil is PERFECTLY SAFE. If you make the foil thick enough it wont break nor get stuck inside the rails. I've been using that method since i got my switch and it works ALL THE TIME. Tinfoil is PERFECTLY SAFE, i repeat, PERFECTLY SAFE(If done right)

6. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    "If done right". Havent you learned yet that just because you are able to use common sense doesnt mean that everyone on the internet will? This is a stupid method that requires stupid logic. Unfortunatly not everyone on the internet has common sense, therefore, its a fallacy to recommend this method. Just get a 3d printed jig. Cheap and effective.

Unless the OP understands how to use autoRCM and the risks involved (battery life and constantly having to load a payload just to boot up) its just silly to recommend tin foil. Holy crap what are we living in the 20's?

pandavova likes this.
  7. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Except it's not a "stupid method" nor does it require "stupid logic", it's a perfectly sound, tried and tested method, one that WORKS and one that just about ANYONE can do. It's much more damaging to use a jig/paper clip/screwdriver(yeah someone had made that work) than it is to use tinfoil. And it's not like there aren't tutorial, VIDEO tutorials on how to make this EVERYWHERE on Youtube. Bottom line is, tinfoil is as effective a method as any of the others

8. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    Plus I've heard of people damaging their rails with jigs and paperclips and screwdrivers.

I used the tinfoil, Alcan brand. Not one flake and I even mashed it in there between the rail and the controller so it wouldn't fall out.

My switch is still working fine, I've had it apart and it's totally clean.

Tinfoil FTW.

9. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Exactly what i meant when i said other methods were more dangerous. Tinfoil has near zero chance of breaking anything. The only down side is that it requires a lot of precision

10. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    I would say it required patience and hand eye coordination. After losing my patience and then smoking a phatty thus losing my hand eye coordination, I in turn just jammed it in there until it worked.

11. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    "You can't push rope". Nor will I try. I dont have the patience or the time. Also a great quote...

"You cant argue with stupid."

Keep jamming tinfoil in your console. Enjoy the results in years to come. "Time proves truth."

Or you could just get some real electricity training and realize your fault. I doubt you will.

Freaking millennials... "If there's a youtube video it must be true." You realize i could make a youtube "tutorial" of me literally pissing on my joycon pins and the conductivity would short the pins and allow for RCM booting. Its not like whatever people upload to youtube requires any kind of validation don't you? Of course you don't.

You falter my hope in our future generation.

Last edited by Kafluke, Jul 27, 2018
  12. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Yeah because jamming a paperclip or a screwdriver into the rail is so much better than tinfoil which offers almost no risks. Oh and for the record, i'm no "millennial", i'm from the previous generation. If tinfoil was THAT dangerous, you'd thing that those people who make the videos would have said something by now don't you? You know, advised us NOT to use that method? It's not like they don't make extensive tests before actually making a video on it or anything like that, that would just be, oh i don't know, RESPONSIBLE or something like that. And you're right, you can't argue with stupid. Which is why i'm not going to argue with you

13. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    If tinfoil was dangerous I would have blown my switch up by now.
    I have not heard of anyone damaging their switch using tinfoil as of yet.

issayloki likes this.
  14. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Sure because every youtube video is made by people who do extensive testing and trial. Are you really that ignorant?

Well if you are I have a whole list of youtube "hacking" videos that you might be interested in. Just dont come here crying for help because your parents won't buy you a new switch after you hork your own.

15. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    There are risks, while yes I used the tinfoil method, the risk is having tinfoil connecting in a place it seriously shouldn't (and the fact it can also tear)
    (at this point in time, I'm just using autorcm mode, don't feel like risking my system everytime)
    Every jig has a flaw
    Tinfoil= short out entire side of the system
    paperclip= scratching, bending, and likely destroying pins.
    3d printed jig= you need to pay for it, and not everyone has time for that.
    permanent Solder= Nintendo could likely detect pins being shorted out. also taking apart joycon
    And plenty other jigs and downsides.

Last edited by monkeyman4412, Jul 27, 2018
    Kafluke likes this.
  16. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    If you make it thick enough it wont tear, at least not easily. Mine has lasted me for months at the very least. As for shorting out the entire side of the system,hasn't happened to me nor to anyone i know using this method. The only thing that actually DOES happen is while the tinfoil is in place, the system wont recognize the joycon but you can still use it wirelessely. Removing the tinfoil removes this issue completeky

17. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Everyone stop arguing please, if it keeps going around in circles the thread will be locked as it isn't really helping anyone.

monkeyman4412 likes this.
  18. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    No matter how thick it is (and making it thick also has a problem in itself)
    It will still tear at some point.
    And if your making your foil thick, then your likely having the same problems the paperclip jig has. Aka, scratching and bending pins.

Kafluke likes this.
  19. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    There is always a risk when hacking and modding. This has been stated many times over. If you don't want to take the risk then just don't do it.
    You seem to be arguing just to argue.
    I am one of those that choose to take the risk, and although I've had a few "wft did I just do" or "wtf just went wrong" moments, my switch is still here and going strong.
    I solved that eventual problem by only using it once and then installing AutoRCM.

20. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    I didn't make mine too thick, about a millimeter wide, give or take. And a piece of tinfoil isn't THAT strong that it can bend pins. So far i have had ZERO issues other than sometimes it moving and not being in the right place. As for autoRCM, i'm a bit...reluctant to use it since i know it messes with the battery(The charge gets wonky when in RCM mode). Sure i could leave it on sleep mode at all times, which i kinda already do but still. Also because i don't know HOW to enable it

Last edited by Ashura66, Jul 27, 2018