Risks of ciosCORP ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Range-TE, Oct 8, 2009.

Oct 8, 2009

Risks of ciosCORP ? by Range-TE at 2:57 PM (3,031 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Range-TE
    OP

Member Range-TE GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    hi, me and my cousin just recently hacked her wii with the "Modify any Wii 4.2 & below" guide/topic ! it works really great! we're playing VCs and WiiWares!
    BUT my cousin's wii is korean, so she uses a Neo Gamma Backup Launcher, but she [actually WE] wants to play it directly from the disc channel! then i saw about ciosCORP in the "Modify any Wii 4.2 & below" guide/topic, but it said that :

so what's the Risks of it? if its just bricking im totally gonna get it, is there something else besides the risk of bricking it?
    and also is there anything i should know before i go ahead with it?

i read that to install ciosCORP, you just put it in the HBC and launch it! then it installs (if it is turned off while installing its gonna get bricked right?)

Wii Specifications :
    Korean Wii modded to be an NTSC-U wii
    System ver.4.1
    1 GB SD card
    and i have followed the "Modify any Wii 4.2 & below" guide completely with the 3.X - 4.1 Method. except for step 7

last question, i heard that cIOSCORP overwrites the Majority of System files, will our VC, wiiWare and save files be alright?

thx in advanced! [​IMG]

edit:
    uh sorry one last question...
    Can i play brawl and Mario Kart with cIOSCORP 3.4? i heard that i should use cIOSCORP 3.2 if i want to play those (and i dont give a shit about ghost busters ATM)

2. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Main risk of cIOSCROP is that while you isntall IOS60 something could go wrong and brick your Wii. But that's pretty much the risk with every update, so its very slim.
    It won't effect anything else.

Brawl won't work with 3.4 since it's a dual layer game. Mario kart I'm not sure. But overall 3.4 has the higher game compatibility than 3.2. Just use a loader to run these games. Maybe even from a USB-drive. [​IMG]

And just btw. Never update this ii to 4.2 or higher! Nintendo built in a check into the system menu that bricks korean Wiis that were region changed. Greedy basterds...

3. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=178424

be sure to backup your NAND with bootmii. i use cioscorp 3.4 and no problems do far. regarding the Mario Kart and Brawl question, read the readme file of the cioscorp 3.4 and the discussions on the thread. the good thing about this cioscorp 3.4 is that it has an uninstaller with it. [​IMG] goodluck.

edit: btw i don't know 'bout korean wiis...just read the thread...

4. stingray1059

Member stingray1059 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    actually you can get more compatibility with neogamma than playing your backups directly via disc channel.

in my case. rockband: beatles , guitar hero smash hits and trauma center did NOT work with the disc channel but works flawlessly with neogamma.

i also have a korean softmodded wii.

my verdict: if is not broken dont fix it. there are many people here that bricked their wii by installing/uninstalling cioscorp.

question: can i move the backuplauncher/neogamma icon in the upper corner of the menu so that it will replace the position of the disc channel? also can i move the homebrew channel in the last page of the menu so that kids will not accidently open files in that channel.

5. MagusDraco

Newcomer MagusDraco Advanced Member

United States

You may need to install something like Preloader or Startpatch to gain the ability to move the Disc channel.

As for moving channels in general, you hit A+B on the controller at the same time to "Pick up a channel" and move it around like a mii in the mii channel.

You can't normally do that to the disc channel. That's why you need preloader and some of the hacks or startpatch and some of its hacks.

Do not install both of those because they conflict with each other. Install one or the other (and read up about them before you install them).

And if you have bootmii on here please please please do yourself a favor and make a nand backup before installing either of these things just in case they crap out by accident and kill your system menu, causing your wii to semi-brick.

6. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    Really I have had no problem playing any of those games through the disk channel maybe you need to install a certain ios for them to work, but you can move the channels, but if you want the neogamma channel to be where the disk channel is you will need to enable the move disk channel hack in preloader.

But as for the OP question about vc and wiiware, no it will not delete any of them if you install Cioscorp and anymore it is not that dangerous to install it.

7. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    cIOSCORP in combination with the regionfree Wii games hack from preloader is needed to play all region Wii games and backups through disc channel.

8. ravagetalon

Newcomer ravagetalon Member

United States
    The risks outweigh the benefits, in my Opinion. A backup launcher does everything it really needs to. cIOSCORP is an unnecessary risk.

To quote the HackMii guys "Some idiot decided to..." etc.

9. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    using Cioscorp is like picking up a fat chick while your drunk.....everything seems all good at first....but when you wake up and realize what your lying next to...you wanna get rid of it, and sometimes doing so, can be a hairy situation

10. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    ahahahahaha true.

11. dai-a

Member dai-a GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you have installed preloader and cIOSrev14. Then just enable the Force discs to run under IOS249 and then change your system menu to run of IOS249. It should read back ups no problem without cioscrap [​IMG]

12. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    cIOSCORP installation can be as risky as an official wii update if it is interrupted (e.g. power failure at the wrong time could cause a brick). But once it's installed, you should be fine.

cIOSCORP does not touch any vc or wiiware.
    SSBB should work fine, just make sure you burn it correctly (DVD+R DL booktyped to DVD-ROM, layer break set to 2084960). Mario kart needs to be burned onto a DVD+R (not DVD-R) and booktyped to DVD-ROM to work though. If you get #001 error, load it through Gecks OS.

However, since cIOSCORP v3.5 is nearing release, you might want to hold off on installing v3.4 fir the time being.

Oh, and since the wii is a region-changed Korean wii, remember to not update to 4.2 or you'll get a permanent brick with #003 error. cIOSCORP v3.5 can prevent this though.

13. razorback78

Philippines
    lol [​IMG] this thread is again becoming a debate on cioscorp...again it is risky but if u are good at following instruction you'll just be fine. btw i use cioscorp 3.4 made by the guy above me(da_letter_a) [​IMG] and everything works just like the guy told us it would do so. thanks again for cioscorp 3.4 da_letter_a and looking forward for future releases.

14. razorback78

Philippines
    sorry again to post...but i was just wondering why would this guy comment on a complicated issue (risky cioscorp) wherein he doesn't even know how the disc channel is moved...or even worst...move regular channels.

15. Range-TE
    OP

Member Range-TE GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    you can move the Disc channel by using hacking the wii with the prealoader

16. razorback78

Philippines
    yeah i know that...read my wii's manual. tell it to stingray1059. [​IMG]