Risks of an unstable OC?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by synce, Jan 5, 2011.

Jan 5, 2011

Risks of an unstable OC? by synce at 1:51 PM (712 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. synce
    OP

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    I recently got into OCing (i7 920) and managed it to push it past 4ghz on air... but when running Linpack ten times I got a BSOD on the very last test. Now I'd increase the vore but that means higher temps (currently 39 idle, 65 load) and maybe shorter lifespan. What's the worst case scenario if I leave everything as-is? For what it's worth there are currently no problems playing CPU intensive games

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Worst case? Ur proc dies within a few days/weeks. Or you up the Vcore without remembering the maximum difference between Vcore and some other V I can't remember being ,1 volts (or was it 1?) and you kill the proc instantly.

Slightly more modest view: Well aside from probably getting BSODs often, u will shorten the lifespan with a few months or years but nothing that you normally would have already trashed the thing. Or sentenced it to a life if a backup NAS, or sold it off. Besides stable is what you find stable. If you feel this works for you then it does. For me I want my machine to be on at least 3 weeks without fail, but others give it a day or even 8 hours.

All in all, you have it past 4 GHz, why not tune that down a little until you get a Vcore you like and a stable CPU? I mean a 100MHz down clock is 1/40th of the performance loss for which you gain a stable CPU, better temps and a longer lifespan out of your hardware.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Scorpei pretty much said it all. IMO, the worst event that comes out of an unstable OC is if you're playing a game and it crashes/BSoDs from a tiny power fluctuation (EDIT: especially if it's an online game - dying from lag is one thing, but dying from a BSOD is even worse). The closer to the limits you get, the easier it is for the hardware to slip up.

Not to mention that higher temperatures/power draw will wear out the hardware much faster, especially if you're not actually making use of the extra speed.

4. synce
    OP

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    Alright I increased the vcore a little and it passed all 10 runs this time, so we're at 1.275v from the default 1.25... Temps seem the same, maybe even better, still not hitting 70c under max load. Idles at 36c now (wtf?) at 2.4ghz with 1.264v. So I guess I'm good for the next few years? [​IMG]

5. omgdaniel

Newcomer omgdaniel Advanced Member

United States
    Since you're happy with your clock, I would suggest getting a better cooler. Since you live the in US, it should be winter and you should have better ambient temperatures. When summer hits, you better have a better cooler. Also, if you're just gaming, you should turn off hyper-threading since no game is going to use that really and it's just generating more heat.

Just an opinion.

Also, what cooler are you using at the moment?

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    Ive tried to get to 4ghz on my c2d but it just crashes when it tries to load windows

[​IMG]

7. omgdaniel

Newcomer omgdaniel Advanced Member

United States
    More volts in my opinion. Your limit is at 1.3625, you're sitting at 1.296. What are your temps?

My current 24/7 setup:
    [​IMG]

Anyways, nice clock [​IMG] Keep going up.