Hacking Risk of bricking

jerrokun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been doing as much reading as possible before I begin playing with any of the exploits. I am very hesitant to get started on the basis that I don't want a bricked console. Despite that, I see bricking mentioned very infrequently in all of the guides, so I don't have a great idea of what is safe and what is dangerous.

As far as I know, these things have a high risk of bricking your console:
  • Downgrade process
  • Backing up NAND
  • Restoring emuNAND
  • Updating the Gateway cartridge
  • Performing a system update or a system format in sysNAND
Is there anything else to keep in mind?
I remember back on the Wii, installing a WAD with a broken banner would completely brick the console, just like that. Is that the case with CIA files? If I install a broken CIA in emuNAND, will that brick my console?

Sammt424

If you read this, you are an idiot.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think it's away of asking if these are in fact risky ? :D :teach:

f10090e31f39027002494b4c088a1c233068dd61b30726071b3bc408e72398c6.jpg

Reactions: blinkzane

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I've been doing as much reading as possible before I begin playing with any of the exploits. I am very hesitant to get started on the basis that I don't want a bricked console. Despite that, I see bricking mentioned very infrequently in all of the guides, so I don't have a great idea of what is safe and what is dangerous.

As far as I know, these things have a high risk of bricking your console:
  • Downgrade process(not really, many people have done it, and i haven't heard of a single brick....that being said, make sure you dont loose power during the downgrade etc, i doubt that would end well)
  • Backing up NAND(no reason at all that would be risky, its just reading, not writing anything)
  • Restoring emuNAND(only risk there is you need to reformat emunand,.....zero risk to console)
  • Updating the Gateway cartridge(again, even if this fails you can restart it, but again the risk would only be to the card, not the console)
  • Performing a system update or a system format in sysNAND(the same as if you where doing it on a retail console....i.e minimal, but just make sure you don't blindly update to a FW that blocks flashcards)
Is there anything else to keep in mind?
I remember back on the Wii, installing a WAD with a broken banner would completely brick the console, just like that. Is that the case with CIA files? If I install a broken CIA in emuNAND, will that brick my console?
edited your post with corrections

real things that would be risky

1)running programs from untrusted sources
2)installing random cia files to sysnand
3)not following guides if you dont know what your doing
4)Not making a nand backup as the very first thing you do to your console and keeping it in a safe place

in regards to "corrupt cia files" its not recommended you install anything to sysnand unless specifically needed, and even then only do it if you trust the source and are prepared for the worst i.e have a nand backup and can have your console hard modded to restore your backup....but really there shouldnt be any risk as long as you arent overwriting system files

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've downgraded and reinstalled sysNAND several times and I've had no issue. as long as you follow the instructions properly you should have no issues

jerrokun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
edited your post with corrections

real things that would be risky

1)running programs from untrusted sources
2)installing random cia files to sysnand
3)not following guides if you dont know what your doing
4)Not making a nand backup as the very first thing you do to your console and keeping it in a safe place

in regards to "corrupt cia files" its not recommended you install anything to sysnand unless specifically needed, and even then only do it if you trust the source and are prepared for the worst i.e have a nand backup and can have your console hard modded to restore your backup....but really there shouldnt be any risk as long as you arent overwriting system files

Thanks, that's exactly what I was after. I will keep that in mind.

Apologies for the paranoia guys, I figured it's better safe than sorry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty why cant they do so for the switch :sad:
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: huh?