Risk of ban while connected to the internet, but not to PSN?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by random_human_being_, Nov 30, 2017.

1. random_human_being_
    OP

random_human_being_ GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    I tried googling it, but I couldn't come up with any clear answer. Basically, I turned off both "automatic login" and "remember password", so that the console is never connected to PSN, not even by mistake, however it is still connected to the internet. Do I actually run any risk of being banned?

I don't care about a console ban, but I'm worried about my account being banned (since I use it on PS4 as well).

2. FatherFingLing

FatherFingLing Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2017
    Canada
    Toronto
    From my understanding it's a slim chance that Sony will recognize what you're doing with your console but so long as you don't report any errors to Sony or access any apps that require you to sign in you should be good

Also I just made a new account on the PS3 and just deleted my account that had PSN sign in

random_human_being_ likes this.
  3. KiraBlaize

KiraBlaize Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2008
    United States
    If you don't log into PSN at all then you should be fine. I'd even go one step further and delete your account and make a new one.

4. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    yes, even if you have the ps3 online while hacked you have a risk of being banned if theirs a account connected to the ps3.

5. PhyChris

PhyChris GBAtemp Regular

May 6, 2009
    Canada
    My system is plugged in to my network all the time. I just use PSNpatch when i want to use PSN

random_human_being_ likes this.
  6. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    You can even download updates safely from their network with a CFW.

PhyChris and random_human_being_ like this.
  7. random_human_being_
    OP

random_human_being_ GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    If there's even a small chance that I might get banned, then I'd rather just stay offline. It's not like most PS3 still have many players left, anyway.

8. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    You can't get banned from PSN if you don't connect to PSN. You don't need to register a PSN account on your console to access the internet. There wouldn't be anything for Sony to ban.

Unless you really need PSN, just don't put an account on your console. You can still connect to the internet, use FTP and download updates without a PSN account.

Panzer_Baboon likes this.
  9. THYPLEX

THYPLEX GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 20, 2017
    Italy
    Rome
    I can download updates for my games even without a PSN account?

10. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Yes, they download fine.

11. THYPLEX

THYPLEX GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 20, 2017
    Italy
    Rome
    Thanks man !

12. Owl Whiskey

Owl Whiskey Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    Hello quick question, can I run backups in .pkg format offline safely without having to worry about bans? I have a few games that I bought on my main PSN account (to be specific I think it was a PS2Classic and SA2B, the account is on the same system). I want to play them offline but I hear that the PS3 keeps track of the games titleID/ticketID/etc in some list of recently played software and detects any "false" ids that most .pkg files have and sends that to Sony next time there is an internet connection (my family uses netflix on the system without signing in to psn). I don't want to touch my PSN account so I planned on just creating a new user while finding the pkg files elsewhere and installing but would that work?
    Please let me know if anything needs clarifying
    edit:accidentally pressed enter too soon

Last edited by Owl Whiskey, Dec 8, 2017
  13. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    It's quite simple - if you're not logged in to PSN, you won't get banned. Everybody is overthinking this.