Ripping Wii Games from Renting?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Zaraf, Mar 18, 2007.

Mar 18, 2007

Ripping Wii Games from Renting? by Zaraf at 8:46 PM (2,290 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Zaraf
    OP

Member Zaraf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I've been finding downloading Wii isos to be quite troublesome, so I was wondering if it would be possible to just rent Wii games and rip them? Is this difficult to do? And if it is possible, what hardware/software would I need to do this? Thanks!

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You need RawDump and the right kind of DVD drive that works with RawDump. The supported drives are in the RawDump readme. Dig around on the forums for news posts about it.

3. pirate_arrh

Newcomer pirate_arrh Advanced Member

New Zealand
    sorry to hear

4. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    you just don't know where to search, and you're not allowed to ask that kind of things here...

5. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    hint: get a wiikey.

6. CYatta

Member CYatta GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Newsgroups are far from "difficult." That's all I have to say.

7. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    They are when you aren't in america and you have limited bandwith due to the crappy serivces in australia

8. azndragonguy115

Member azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i have no idea what newsgroups are X[

9. Critical_Impact

Australia
    Basically it was a way of communicating over the internet, you'd post messages, people would reply and you could download their responses. It became really good when people started splitting games, movies up and attaching them to messages and posting them in binary groups. You can sign up to usenet servers and basically you download straight from the server you signed up to. Messages are kept normally for 90 days on most servers and you can download programs that allow you to download multiple messages and combine them into one. For example on #alt.binaries.games.wii there is wii sports, red steel, split into 80-90 files. Basically you download all the files and combine them and you will have the iso.

10. shiftybill

Newcomer shiftybill Member

Australia
    wait for the wiikey ripping app for the wii, u will need an sd card and sd converter to fit in the gamecube memory card slot tho

11. Critical_Impact

Australia
    That or the sd backup app that emu_kidd is working on.

12. xbandaidx

Member xbandaidx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    that wii newsgroup don't work for me for some reason, however if I can get a hold of a NZB file, strangely it goes fine. Go figure. However newsgroup > Bittorrent by far, I'm lucky enough to have an ISP that has their OWN newsserver (no they don't rent theirs from someone else) and it has everything that all the big name providers offer.

It might be worth checking out if your ISP offers service before paying for a paid service one.

13. pandas0nic

Member pandas0nic GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I would never use my ISP (Pipex) for newsgroup access, for a start there's no encryption and it wouldnt be hard for them to see what i'm downloading through their servers. I'm actualy surprised you use your ISP's one but i guess each provider is different in regards to checking up on their users.

14. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Well I've downloaded more than 100gig from blueyonder's newsgroup servers. You'd think if they were bothered about it they'd not host groups like alt.binaries.cd.images.

15. pandas0nic

United Kingdom
    yeah fair enough, thats your choice, but i know for a fact many people have had warnings from manys isp's including pipex from using all sorts of p2p networks, and in that light i wont risk using pipex newsgroup servers, i'd just rather be safe than sorry, but if you can grab isos from blueyonders service with no hassles, go for it, more power to you [​IMG]

16. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    p2p is a different kettle of fish though, because you're supplying pirate media to other people. A bit like dealing weed from your house is more likely to get you in trouble than just buying it.

17. pandas0nic

United Kingdom
    yeah obviously, my point was that if pipex crack down on p2p networks then they're pro active in their stance against any form of piracy, so using their newsgroup servers is not a good idea for me.

18. aligborat69

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

Im on Blueyonder too and i have to say their newsgroup access they provide is excellent, unfortunately, they dont subscribe to some of the better iso groups, so luckily i used to pay £50 for the top service and 10mbit, but when they reduced their price to £35 for the same service, it meant that extra cash i saved, i could use on SSL Giganews, so now i have access to about 100 days worth of every single group available. I love it, totally worth it too, my average usage monthly is around 500gb, im hoping since virgin took over, they wont start warning people over "fair usage of unlimited broadband". LOL

19. pandas0nic

United Kingdom
    even Virgin have a 'fair useage policy' check your small print in the terms, but i agree it sucks, why advertise something as unlimited when for those that would really use it, it actualy isn't. Also be careful of traffic and bandwidth shaping, although this applies more to bittorrent than newsgroups.

20. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I think ISPs will pretty much ignore the piracy on their own news servers. Otherwise they would have to get themselves into trouble also. Its like the drug dealer turning around and having a go at the buyer.

NTL has a pretty good news server, good enough retention for a free server (its around 35 days) I just get the .nzb from website searches and go from there =)