Ripping original Xbox games with a Hitachi....

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TeamScriptKiddies, Jul 8, 2015.

1. TeamScriptKiddies
    OP

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    Sorry, if this has already been covered, but I tried searching the forum and spent hours googling first and can't find an answer.

Okay, so first, here is my setup:
    Xenon (firestarter? XD)
    LT Plus 2.0 (3.0 is unnecessary for my drive, not to mention non-existant)
    Hitachi GDR-3120L Rev/Ver 59
    Dashboard is 17349 (the one before the latest which just came out, I think latest is 17453???).

So I always use my 360 to power my drive as I'm too cheap to buy a full on connectivity kit/adapter. I'm using an ancient X360usb Pro (first version). I know there's a HUGE risk of a ban doing this, but it doesn't matter, because I keep this console off of live anyways. Xlink Kai is what I use for online gaming....

Anyways, is there anyway to properly dump original Xbox games using this Hitachi drive? From my research I can't find a definitive answer. I know of the Kreon/0800 firmwares, but it looks like its not available for Hitachi's. Out of desperation, I tried hooking up my drive with LT Plus 2.0 and dumping that way, but unless I'm in JF for flashing purposes, my computer spazzes out for obvious reasons haha (again I was desperate).

Now before anybody says anything about burning Xbox originals for use with LT plus etc, I'm already aware of the conversion process using XDVDMulleter etc. My problem is I can't even dump an Xbox original game to begin with.... ><. I would like to be able to backup some of my Xbox originals. Is there some other way of dumping these games that works? Perhaps bypassing my Hitachi altogether?

I know there's an ancient method for dumping XDG2 360 games with a swap trick and Wxripper (with certain drives, AGAIN NOT SAFE FOR LIVE USE). So perhaps there's a similar trick for dumping original Xbox games too?

Also seeing as I can't seem to dump anything with my Hitachi drive (correct me if I'm wrong of course...) what drives do other's recommend for dumping XDG2 360 games that works with the ancient Wxripper method? None of the drives I have currently seem to work with this (not on my laptop or my desktop).

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    MS won't ban consoles for having a NO_DVD flag triggered.

Dumping original xbox games can be done using an Original xbox and iirc with a Kreon drive.
    Some LG drives can be used as Kreon drives but dunno which ones anymore.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  3. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Couldn't you run the Splinter Cell style exploit on an original xbox, then network transfer the game files to a PC?
    If that works the only games you might not be able to rip are those larger than the factory HDD.

4. TeamScriptKiddies
    OP

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Okay thanks both of you, I'd have to look into that. As for a an original xbox, that option is out as I don't have one anymore.

EDIT: As for Wxripper, looks like my issue is that I was likely using a DVD5 movie to swap with woops haha. I'll have to track down a cheap DVD9 movie from the bargain bin at walmart, perhaps my drive is compatible after all. I made all my previous backups using the sammy drive (with 0800 firmware) that I used to have, but seeing as that's no longer an option, I can at least make XDG2 backups this way....

Last edited by TeamScriptKiddies, Jul 9, 2015 - Reason: note about wxripper
  5. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I don't bother much with ISO rips.
    Game extracts is where it's at (PS3/360/Xbox)

I got the means to execute them so why not ;p

6. TeamScriptKiddies
    OP

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    I hear ya, but when I RGH this Xenon, I'll be lucky if it boots linux, nevermind a custom dash that can load those hahahaha.

7. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Very lucky.
    It's just a matter of tweaking it to perfection to gain slightly more reliable boots.
    I say don't cheap out on materials, you're going to need them ;p

8. TeamScriptKiddies
    OP

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    This console was a refurb and came with the 12 volt fan mod, so that should help to a point. I'll prolly applyy some new thermal paste to the CPU and GPU to prep it as well.

9. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Upgrade the CPU heatsink to a 2nd gen one as well as the GPU heatsink to a second gen one.
    It's to bad I dun have those spare, otherwise I'd give em to ya.

10. TeamScriptKiddies
    OP

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Awww thanks anyways, I feel that we should continue this conversation in my other RGH thread as we've derailed this one lol :-\

11. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Better shift it to PM, avoid derailing it more lol.