Ripping/Editing Phoneix Wright 2

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by deufeufeu, Jan 7, 2007.

Jan 7, 2007
  1. deufeufeu
    OP

Member deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Cote d'Ivoire
    Hi, I'm currently trying to edit phoenix wright for ds, by putting my own graphics. So first, I've tried to make a tool to display data files, as one can see in the following screenshot
    [​IMG]
    Although you can rejoice to see our famous spiky head, I can't seem to find all the real graphics, that is the one who see of each character. So far I've found all menus related stuff and some backgrounds. But I can't seem to find the majority of graphics in the game.
    Does someone here have more clues on this ? I guess everything is in data.bin, but they're maybe compressed in some way or another.

EDIT :
    Another strange issue, these are all the background I could find and it seems there's some missing ??? anybody has an explanation ? (it misses the second parts of some background for example meditation room)
    (sorry for the size of the image, it's a raw dump [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The chances are that the remaining graphics are compressed (the game is not especially CPU intensive which means they can afford it) although they could be bitmap or another format.

I do however believe the game runs fairly well in the new desmume which now sports some nice debug/rom hacking features.

3. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    Noooo.. what have you done!... (nice work)

4. deufeufeu
    OP

Cote d'Ivoire
    main post updated with backgrounds

5. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Look forward to this tool. Would like to rip some of the character sprites from Elite Beat Agents. In fact, that's one of the reason why I would like to see a better DS emulator. To take better screenshots.

6. deufeufeu
    OP

Cote d'Ivoire
    I'm stupid, background provided where the ones shown when moving, they are stored flat and not distorded with the perspective shift as ingame. It is interesting to note as it means that it will be easier to add content.
    Btw I've found tileset but I'm having some trouble finding the location of the part telling how many maps, tiles, palettes are stored for each graphics...
    Stay tuned [​IMG]
    When things start to be clearer for me I'll post a funny patch [​IMG]
    P.S. : my avatar is ripped from the rom, if someone is interested I can upload all the graphics I've dumped so far and share the link.

7. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Please share. We care.

8. deufeufeu
    OP

Cote d'Ivoire
    just a little update to tell that I've found the tile compression scheme, which was kinda strange (why didn't they use plain old lzss is beyond me). I've found animation informations but I'm halfway into understanding it fully... When these two things are completed, I"ll show you my progress visually. Just to recap a bit, I'm able to inject every kind of static graphics, and half done for the injection of characters animations. Then I'll have to reverse scripts information, then we will be closer to making our very own episode... stay tuned ! (sorry for the polluting for everyone uninterested)

9. MEstk

Newcomer MEstk Member

France
    This is so nice ! Keep on this work !

10. deufeufeu
    OP

Cote d'Ivoire
    News, I've found animations as you can see [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    Wow, nice! You do know about the translated first case of GS3, don't you? The guy who made it probably has found out lots of things about the GBA game that could help with decyphering the DS game...

Making our own episode would be really great! [​IMG] I'd love to participate somehow.

12. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    Very Interesting!

13. deufeufeu
    OP

Cote d'Ivoire
    I've already looked at what he done. As he was an early stage of the translation he did not bother spending time on graphics formats. So, I could not borrow his work. But when this step will be finished I will try to make the most of what he already done in scripts related stuff.

14. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    On an off topic notice, I was using VGMTrans program on the Japanese Gyakuten Saiban 2 rom and I discovered that there was some foreign voices on it. Well.... I only found one so far. (It was Franziksa shouting PROTESTO). Still doesn't guarantee that it's going to be coming out over in the US... is there a tool that can extract text from DS roms as well?

15. deufeufeu
    OP

Cote d'Ivoire
    Hi, I've polished a bit my tool as you can see in the attached screenshot. There's no use to it apart from being able to display animations. The lower left frame is actually a preview of the animation which is different from the upper right maps. If some of you are interested I can release it, but, as I'm a linux user I would be a bit bothersome to release a windows binary with all the dependencies. If enough people are interested I might bother, so manifest yourself in this case [​IMG]. For the real stuff (chapter edit) I've not made any real progress so far... :'(
    [​IMG]

16. squee

Newcomer squee Advanced Member

Germany
    Does your tool work with other games too?

Anyway I would like to see this released, very nice work [​IMG]

17. deufeufeu
    OP

Cote d'Ivoire
    Today's update check :
    more to come [​IMG]

18. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Nice work there.

And I'd love to be able to rip the animations. Laser-beam-Gant, please?

19. deufeufeu
    OP

Cote d'Ivoire
    Here it is, all the animations from PW1 in animated gif format and all in a big archive [​IMG] don't spread it too much, consider it from now as a Gbatemp exclusive... If it use too much bandwith I'll remove it. PW1-ANIM.tgz (11M)

20. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Awesome, thanks!