Rip your own GBA saves?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by dragon574444, Feb 26, 2008.

Feb 26, 2008

Rip your own GBA saves? by dragon574444 at 8:30 PM (9,023 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. dragon574444
    OP

Member dragon574444 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was wondering if there is any software that kets you rip GBA saves/roms from a commercial GBA game. I have used Rudolph's DS back-up tool with my R4 and my EZ Flash 3 in 1 and I want to know if it is possible to do so with GBA games. Is there a way to do it with only my PC, R4, and 3 in 1? I kinda doubt it, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask...

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    For dumping SRAM saves, you can use Eepinator, though you must dump the save twice for it to work right, for some reason.

Otherwise you can try Rudolph's GBA Backup tool, though I have no idea how to use it.
    Rudolph's blog site seems to be undergoing maintenance right now (if Google's translation is any indication) but when it comes back up you can get his GBA Backup Tool from http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/Rudolph/2007-12-24

3. Eyedunno

Member Eyedunno GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Yeah, what DanTheManMS said. I also haven't tested the tool, but Rudolph's GBA backup tool (if it works for all save types) should be the best option for Slot-1 users. If I remember, maybe later on I'll put up a short guide as to how to use it if it's not in English (a lot of Rudolph's stuff is bilingual depending on your DS's language settings).

Would you mind letting me know if it runs in English once you get it? Rudolph's page should be back up in an hour and a half or so from the time I post this (assuming all maintenance is on schedule).

Edit: one more thing I neglected to mention. There's also a GBA-based app called cart-save.gba. You can get that here:
    http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/SendSave/cart_save.zip
    But anyway, Rudolph's sounds like it would be the best, as it runs from/saves to slot 1 and you can rip roms too, which is great for slot-2 expansion owners.

Edit: Ugh, Rudolph's provider has just said it's going to take another five hours.

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Right, cart_save is an option, but it won't work correctly on his 3in1. He could make an FCSR compilation in order to restore save files to his original GBA cartridges, but he can't dump the GBA saves to the 3in1 since it has no filesystem. That's why I suggested Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool.

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    To get saves from commercial GBA cartridges?

Use an Action Replay or other cheating device, they usually have a save backup/restore function.
    Don't know how to rip the game itself though, that's up to the release groups.

6. Eyedunno

Member Eyedunno GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    That's what I get for not paying attention to anything but the topic and your post. [​IMG]

7. dragon574444
    OP

Member dragon574444 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for your help. I used Rudolph's gba back-up tool and it worked great. Rudolph makes tons of great apps for the DS!

8. NeedToKnowMore

Newcomer NeedToKnowMore Newbie

United States
    I have a massive problem it backed up Pokemon ruby, sapp, emerald (though it doesn't work with VisualBoyAdance GX) and mystery Dungeon Rescue Team Red perfectly, BUT, it didn't rip fire red perfect, I try to play it in normal vba and it doesn't open I just get a white screen, I changed teh save type didn't work, when I go to back up the rom in the back up tool it says Unknown save type is their some kinda of copy write on the gba cart that messes up my back up?

9. cantbesaved

Newcomer cantbesaved Member

United States
    can i restore a save to a retail cart using the backup tool, or do i have to use a restoring tool?
    pm me the answer

10. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    Change the mode to Restore and you can upload your save.

It has 3 modes: Backup Save, Restore Save, and Backup Rom

Instructions for what the buttons doe in each mode are in a box at the bottom of the screen.

[​IMG]

All his tools are like this, instructions are on the screen.