Rip music from NDS roms

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Boriar, Apr 3, 2011.

1. supermario666

supermario666 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2018
    Hungary
    So I unpacked the rom. I dragged the sound_data.sdat in the vgmtrans and the thing still quit. What is the problem

PokefanBrian likes this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Found a copy to have a look at. ndstool spat out a sound_data.sdat which looks fairly normal. That said all the file names within were "NO_NAME" so I guess they repacked it with something, possibly one of the older tools. Such a thing could make vgmtrans have some troubles.

I have not got a complete kit with me right now so try tinke, vgmtoolbox, ndssndext or one of the other tools and see what goes there.

PokefanBrian likes this.
  3. KoopaMaster

KoopaMaster GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2018
    France
    Koopa Cliff
    Normally Nitro studio open fine all correct .sdat ( I used it to make custom mario kart DS musics ) , can you try it ?
    ;) https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1375/

PokefanBrian likes this.
  4. PokefanBrian

PokefanBrian Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2018
    Germany
    How can I extract SAD files from inazuma Eleven 2?

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Tinke got support for SADL files (pokemon conquest if memory serves) so you might try that. I can't remember offhand if that was the overlap format or not -- a couple of the non SDAT sound formats were named various things depending upon their extension or magic stamp before people realised they were the same format. Generally speaking though not much work has been done as far as rippers for the non SDAT formats that are not otherwise known and are not just PCM/ADPCM/wave you can slap audacity hard enough to import.

Otherwise emulator/line in ripping time. Hopefully there is a sound test, if doing emulators then any sound effects are sent to their own channels (the DS has 16 of the things so you can get lucky there) so you can just mute them, or you are able to repack* the ROM at a silent point in the game.

*you don't need to know how the sound works to overwrite another file that plays at a point without sound effects, sometimes it might not work if the files are radically different to what it expects but such things are definitely worth trying. If another entry in the series (or another game) that uses the same audio formats has a sound test, or more suitable ripping point, then you can also try overwriting those.

PokefanBrian likes this.
  6. PokefanBrian

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2018
    Germany
    Thanks for the answer!

7. PokefanBrian

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2018
    Germany
    I managed to extract the SAD files with Tinke, but there is still a very large PKB file.
    How can I open it?

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Tinke should have had a player already embedded in it if it is going to work. Sometimes with tinke I had to stuff the files I wanted to view back into a ROM to get its viewers to pick them up.

I did do some things with inazuma Eleven 1 some time back ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/inazuma-eleven-e-full-project.276441/page-13 ). If it is like that then you can figure out the given archives if you want, or you can try just finding one (should start with SAD, SED and some other things) and keep going until you hit the next file.

Failing that we are back to emulator ripping.

PokefanBrian likes this.