Riot Games faces gender discrimination charges in employee lawsuit

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 7, 2018.

1. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    @tiliarou

"discriminating people based on their appearance"

You dress for the part you want. You don't get to come in dressed like a clown and act surprised when you don't get the job. That is what I think FAST was getting at.

Bosca likes this.
  2. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Heres the thing, people who are known as social justice warriors just fight everyone who doesnt agree with them. Hence the term warrior. Some of their ideas are completely insane, but nobody is calling them out without being attacked. Its to the point where most people just wont speak out unless they are racist or a troll, normal people are too scared. Hell they even attack Jordan Peterson, who even if you dont agree with certainly he isnt racist or a bigot.

Last edited by kevin corms, Nov 8, 2018
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  3. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Germany
    Yes, but
    [​IMG]

Social Justice Warrior isn't a title one should wear with pride.

4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Wow...this thread really derailed into some debate.
    Okay, I really don't know whether to agree or disagree with that.

First things first: @whateverg1012 's post is just garbage. You want to speak to him her about what you think about his post, please do so (I absolutely agree to that). But please, don't go all "everyone's agrees with that narrow point of view", because that's not right. Denial? Diminishing? Sorry, but you're wrong on that. I said I don't think it's a gender issue because I can't read anything in the OP that would make it such an issue. I might be wrong...but rather than making claims about what you think we say*, it would help your case more if you attempted to convince us why you think it is a gender issue. :)

Gender discrimination is indeed a big deal. And that's why it's all the more important to make sure that they are applied correctly. You call posts like mine a form of denial/diminishing of the events, but at least some of us (I can only speak of me, but I pretty sure @deinonychus71 is in the same boat) went through the same thing (please...read the rest before you reply, okay? :) ). We want her to win the case, because being loaded with responsibilities and tasks while being denied the rewards is very damaging for your self worth. That's why we want her to win the case.
    And then of course, I might be wrong and there really IS gender discrimination in play (I agree that's up to the judge to decide). In that case, I (we) think she should win ever more than we already think.

If you want to talk more about it, you can always shoot me a private message. That usually works out better than this sort of open discussion where everyone seems to want to shout at everyone else. :)

Cheers. :)

*small tip: that never works. We know what we said because we were there when we said it, and we know our own intentions better than anyone else. Guessing them incorrectly...it doesn't make you good friends. :unsure:

Last edited by Taleweaver, Nov 8, 2018
    tiliarou and CallmeBerto like this.
  5. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    VA-11 Hall-A
    I'm female.

6. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Not to mention where this mentality leads, slowly they keep pushing further and further until it becomes a tragedy. They really need to start teaching what happened in the ussr... we arent nearly to the point where the USSR was 100 years ago, but we are heading in that direction one small step at a time. And I get why people are attracted to these ideas, on the surface they seem excellent until you really think about them logically or even research human behavior.

7. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    I do agree, yes.

I also think that social medias arent the right place to judge whether there is sexism at play or not.
    I can just relate to what I know of this: Not getting promoted while you should is an issue that happens quite a bit in this industry. There is tough competition at play (even between colleagues sometimes) and you kinda have to suck it up and show you're willing to do more sometimes.

I'm actually from France too so I understand this mindset. Thats just not exactly how it works in the US sadly because as you said, you're not protected. Also in my case i dont have a set number of hours, i dont even have a set number of vacations. Its a well known trick to make you compete more for recognition in a company and you end up taking less vacation and working 50/60 hours a week.

All im saying is... dont attack that on the angle of sexism. You have a case to complain about the company anyway.
    I wish the internet in general would stop making everything a race or gender issue nowaday.
    There are really bad issues in the core of a lot of theses tensions, like lack of safety nets such as healthcare (in the US), poor access to education etc that should make people talk and complain a lot and instead we're all wasting our time on individual cases in the name of empathy (looking at you mr. g&w).

Last edited by deinonychus71, Nov 8, 2018
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  8. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Germany
    I fully agree. I was born in Poland and am now living in Germany, history classes in both countries teach WW2 and why Nazi ideology led to the dark times of European history, simply because it's harder to repeat mistakes once you're aware of them. We watched Schindlers List in school and read about other Stories from back in the day about People who were against Hitler and actively opposed him, and how the population lived in fear. This is why It's difficult for me to believe someone who uses the word Nazi in today's day and age. Most of then have no clue what real Nazi's actually are.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    My bad...I fixed it. :)

...but really: is that really what concerns you about my opinion of your post? :unsure:

whateverg1012 likes this.
  10. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    VA-11 Hall-A
    I knew this thread was going to be a dumpster of misinformed posts (not saying all of them are though), so I turned off all notifications from this thread, I forgot to turn off @mentions though so I still got yours.

Regarding your opinion, I'm not denying gender discrimination exists in the workplace, it obviously exists at some level and I've personally experienced it. My post specifically refers to the people in this case, and from my own personal experiences and what I've seen with my colleagues and in the media, I stand by my post. If you really want to talk more PM me (cause I won't get notifications otherwise lol).

Last edited by whateverg1012, Nov 8, 2018
    Taleweaver likes this.
  11. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    There is always some truth behind SJW rants, but they tend to oversimplify things to the point where its madness. For example, yes black people are often oppressed, but there is so much more to how much power/social standing a person has than just race or gender. I mean the president and attorney general were black and had high high approval ratings, so maybe we should try and look at people individually like we used to again? They do the same with the pay gap, they don't look into any reasons why it exists and just call it sexism.

12. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    When you see women being treated unfairly, play victim of the non-existent "male-oppression" to draw the attention away from the real issue. Pathetic.

13. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    The thing is there is some sexism in the work place, but if you live in a western country the SJW are obviously exaggerating it. They also call the way things are now completely evil and terrible, yet things are more equal than any other society ever... They also completely ignore the obvious hierarchy patterns in our dna, the same sort of patterns other animals have. You cant just reprogram people in any way we want. You are already seeing this experiment fail badly in some European countries, and its still starting in north america, especially Canada.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  14. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Regular

Jul 27, 2015
    United States
    To some extent, you can make such guesses. If you see a black person in the US, for example, you can guess their political leanings correctly 9 times out of 10 if you guess Democrat. If you see a white evangelical Christian, you can guess their political leanings correctly probably 7 times out of 10 if you guess Republican. The idea itself isn't invalid. The problem arises when you stop at that and make decisions based on that alone. Of course, this only works if you're dealing with something that has a high correlation to political leanings. If it doesn't, then you'll get wildly inaccurate results.

Last edited by ChaosEternal, Nov 8, 2018
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    No. Recall the earlier reply wherein I mentioned some of the false positives you might get doing that (to say nothing of the false negatives) and instead suggested questions to be a good plan instead or in addition to.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  16. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    Except lots of these psychotic liberal feminist progressive types are lunatics who will falsely accuse people of anything and everything. Respecting someone wont do shit to stop some psycho feminist from accusing you of something if she perceives it in her mind that she's been done wrong.

How do you think these people are politically aligned? Hmmm? I wonder. I bet they all voted Trump!! Lol

[​IMG]

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Vagina female or penis female?

There's 112 genders you know. We need more details these days.

Last edited by Purple_Shyguy, Nov 8, 2018
    Bill_bill and CallmeBerto like this.
  17. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    I don't know enough about this particular case to say whether or not this is gender based discrimination, however I do know that companies pull this kind of crap all the time on people, regardless of gender. Its all about penny pinching, why promote someone and pay them more money, when you can get a sucker to do the same work for less pay? As wrong as that is, its common practice for a LOT of companies regardless of the industry. Whether or not this is gender based discrimination, I'm glad these women are sticking up for themselves. If you aren't being treated right, you have the right to stick up for yourself.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  18. Xalusc

Xalusc Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2013
    Brazil
    That place with soccer and drugs
    This thread reminded me that GBATemp is full of childish assholes. I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

tiliarou likes this.