RIM introduces PlayBook -- the BlackBerry tablet

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States

Today at Research In Motion's annual BlackBerry Developer Conference, CEO Mike Lazaridis announced the company's new tablet -- the PlayBook. The tablet will utilize an OS created by the recently acquired QNX (just as we'd heard previous to the announcement) called the BlackBerry Tablet OS which will offer full OpenGL and POSIX support alongside web standards such as HTML5 (which is all tied into RIM's new WebWorks SDK). Lazaridis was joined on stage by the company's founder, Dan Dodge, who said that "QNX is going to enable things that you have never seen before," and added that the PlayBook would be "an incredible gaming platform for publishers and the players." RIM also touted the PlayBook's ability to handle Flash content via Flash 10.1, as well as Adobe AIR apps. The new slate -- which Lazaridis described as "the first professional tablet" -- will sport a 7-inch, 1024 x 600, capacitive multitouch display, a Cortex A9-based, dual-core 1GHz CPU (the company calls it the "fastest tablet ever"), 1GB of RAM, and a 3 megapixel front-facing camera along with a 5 megapixel rear lens (and yes, there will be video conferencing). There was no mention of onboard storage capacity during the keynote, though the devices we just spied in our eyes-on post are labeled 16GB and 32GB on their back panels. The PlayBook will be capable of 1080p HD video, and comes equipped with an HDMI port as well as a microUSB jack, 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi, and Bluetooh 2.1. The device clocks in at a svelte 5.1- by 7.6-inches, is only 0.4-inches thick, and weighs just 400g (or about 0.9 pounds).

In terms of interface, the OS looks like a mashup of webOS and the BlackBerry OS, even allowing for multitasking via what amounts to a "card" view. Interestingly, RIM and QNX boasted of the PlayBook's multimedia and gaming functions, but Mike Lazaridis also described the tablet as "an amplified view of what's already on your BlackBerry." That's due largely in part to a function of the tablet which allows you to siphon data off of your BlackBerry handset via Bluetooth tethering and display it on your PlayBook (a la the ill-fated Palm Foleo). While the PlayBook doesn't seem to rely on phone content alone, the press release from the company says that users can "use their tablet and smartphone interchangeably without worrying about syncing or duplicating data." RIM didn't hand out any solid launch dates beyond "early 2011," and of course, there was no mention of retail price. We've got a slew of content after the break, including the PlayBook spec rundown, the company's press release, and a full video of the device (and UI) in action -- so take a look!

7-inch LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
    BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
    1 GHz dual-core processor
    1 GB RAM
    Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording
    Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
    Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
    HDMI video output
    Wi-Fi - 802.11 a/b/g/n
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
    Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
    Ultra thin and portable:
    Measures 5.1"x7.6"x0.4" (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
    Weighs less than a pound (approximately 0.9 lb or 400g)
    RIM intends to also offer 3G and 4G models in the future.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source (Engadget)

2. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    Sounds good to me. Though I'm a desktop man myself, I'd definitely get this over Ipad if I ever go tablet one of these days.

3. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    I'm not very fond of Blackberry but I have to admit that I'm impressed. Good luck to these guys and hopefully they will get some decent sales. I went "tablet" a few months ago and while it is one of those cheap China tablets, I'm happy that I did. I love my little buddy and even with its limited resources it's fun working with a "WIP". Back to this Blackberry, I wonder if BB plans to expand this OS to other tablets. [​IMG]

4. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    This could be my first tablet. Hmm.

5. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    That thing looks wicked. o:
    I'd much prefer this over the iPad!

6. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    That's one sexy tablet. I like it.
    The OS is what interest me the most, though. Looks much better than iOS.
    [​IMG]