Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Now that the story part is entering final revision by @Lazlo52 (helps a lot to have a native speaker in your team), I'm focusing on the "network / online" part, and it's... well it's going well as you can see!

rr7sf9f.png

More seriously, the game has a huge online part, which at least still works with @barronwaffles patch when playing solo, giving you access to a whole lot of extra missions!

I plan on testing multiplayer mode with my beta team very soon, we're all busting our a**es for the translation to be the more polished it can!
rr7sf9f.png

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
The "Online test session" with @MaeseJesus went extremely well today.

We managed to connect from both real hardware and Dolphin emulator, and were even joined by the "Brand Bot" for the sake of testing!

Think of him as "Buffy Bot", only totally different...

Below are some screenshots of the three of us.

d207Bbk.png

5rl1JiW.png

OVoPJRb.png

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brand and everyone else involved. Thank you. This is looking great!! I particularly like the custom image for 'Friends'. Everything looks very clean.

Looking at the last screenshot, I do hope there can be more than one or two character chosen (or some sort of customization). 3 of the same character seems like it might be confusing.

I am curious, what is this "Brand Bot"? Is it an actual bot or something else?

Also, what are the "policy" entries? Different customization for a map?

I have more questions but I guess I should just wait for the actual release :)

Last edited by wiiAdventurer,

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Brand and everyone else involved. Thank you. This is looking great!! I particularly like the custom image for 'Friends'. Everything looks very clean.

Looking at the last screenshot, I do hope there can be more than one or two character chosen (or some sort of customization). 3 of the same character seems like it might be confusing.

I am curious, what is this "Brand Bot"? Is it an actual bot or something else?

Also, what are the "policy" entries? Different customization for a map?

I have more questions but I guess I should just wait for the actual release :)
Sadly you play either Frey or Freyja, but this isn't that confusing since everyone except you has their name on top of their head.

"Brand Bot" is just a character I created on Dolphin to differenciate from my avatar on the real console: we wanted to see if Dolphin could connect too, and it did!

The policies are special rules applied to the battlefield (like "no beginner", if the level difficulty is too high, or a minimal number of players required, etc.)

I'm glad you find the pictures to your taste, at this speed I think we're only a few weeks away from release.

Yours truly.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You can play as either Frey or Freyja. We used Frey for all 3 players because it is the default choice when you start an online profile, but it's true that it looks funny.

I do not know if there's visual customization but it doesn't matter much.

There is variety gameplay wise because Frey and Freyja play very differently, and even then, there can be huge differences in playstyles within the same character because not only each weapon type is quite different from the rest, there can also be big differences within the same type of weapon.

Some swords can be better at attacking horizontally, others vertically. Some might be designed for quick normal attacks, others maybe are for slower but more powerful ones, or even a mix of both.

And that's one example. Weapons do have different designs, too. And there are hundreds of weapons.

Last edited by Maeson,

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both for your comments!!

Sadly you play either Frey or Freyja, but this isn't that confusing since everyone except you has their name on top of their head.

Ah good to know.

"Brand Bot" is just a character I created on Dolphin to differenciate from my avatar on the real console: we wanted to see if Dolphin could connect too, and it did!

Great to hear. I love my Wii and having physical games to gawk at on my shelf but using Dolphin is the best way to experience these games imo!

I'm glad you find the pictures to your taste, at this speed I think we're only a few weeks away from release.

Dang, you are moving at a lightning pace. Thank you Brand!

The policies are special rules applied to the battlefield (like "no beginner", if the level difficulty is too high, or a minimal number of players required, etc.)

Ah ok, so like online rules. I had assumed they were ways to mix up the gameplay of the level (kinda like weapon loadout in a FPS games). I can't wait to see the game myself and find out what is available!

You can play as either Frey or Freyja. We used Frey for all 3 players because it is the default choice when you start an online profile, but it's true that it looks funny.

I do not know if there's visual customization but it doesn't matter much.

There is variety gameplay wise because Frey and Freyja play very differently, and even then, there can be huge differences in playstyles within the same character because not only each weapon type is quite different from the rest, there can also be big differences within the same type of weapon.

Some swords can be better at attacking horizontally, others vertically. Some might be designed for quick normal attacks, others maybe are for slower but more powerful ones, or even a mix of both.

And that's one example. Weapons do have different designs, too. And there are hundreds of weapons.

Wow, sounds like there is a lot of customization to the weapons. Which character do you prefer?

Last edited by wiiAdventurer,

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Wow, sounds like there is a lot of customization to the weapons. Which character do you prefer?

Yes, there are tons on weapons, many of them I had to research since they're inspired by Norse legend, which I wasn't very familiar with.

I'd say Freyja is a bit like Jill valentine in resident evil. Her ability to use magic and three weapons (when Frey is limited to two) makes her a bit of an "easier mode" most of the time. Not to mention that some of her bows have homing arrows, which comes in handy.

But blowing enemies with one of Frey overly gigantic hammers has become one of my personal favourites!

Last edited by Brand Newman,
Reactions: wiiAdventurer

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I think overall both characters have the same usefulness, but they play quite differently, and that's just thinking of them in general, because as I said the weapons themselves can vary a lot too. Which one I prefer depends on the stage I'm going to play, actually.

Freyja can wield 3 weapons (one of them needs to be a sword) and uses a "Magic System" and a blue bar appears on the right side of the screen. Every non-sword weapon (Bows, Spears, and all the types of Rods and Scepters) need to consume Magic to function, and the amount you need to spend varies a lot and depends on the weapons effects, with the strongest ones requiring A LOT of magic.

In that way, Freyja can be seen as much powerful than Frey, because her weapons can deal extraordinary damage quickly and from a safe distance. But that comes with a pretty big weakness, because the only way to gain back is to attack with a sword or greater sword, and Freyja's swords tend to be quite weaker, she wields greater swords quite slowly which lets her vulnerable, and depending on the stage that it be quite hard to deal with. And the amount of Magic it recovers can be rather low depending on which sword we're talking. And her HP is also lower than Frey's and grows also at half the speed.

So the "3 weapons" sounds like a plus at first, but in truth is more like she NEEDS a sword for the other weapons to function during stages.

So I could say Freyja has a higher potential than Frey but you have to deal with those "downtimes" where you need to be careful to get back to blast things again. A Glass Cannon of sorts that requires some planning.

Frey's weapons are less crazy and more straightforward, mostly for close combat, and he can equip only 2. Frey can swing greater swords faster than Freyja, which is very noticeable. He has also more HP and, if you ever reach the limits on HP, he ends up with double the HP compared to Freyja, so he can be really durable (which is needed if you're at melee range on high difficulties).

The thing with Frey is that, while his weapons do deal less damage overall (Thor Bows are one exception, but good luck with having time to charge the strongest ones lol), he has no limits in how much he can use them, so unlike Freyja he has no downtime or pauses to get Magic back. You can keep attacking the enemy relentlessly, so it sort of balances out the overall damage output between both most of the time.

Also, because Frey's weapons are more direct and simple than some of Freyja's weapons (that sometimes can be unwieldy or hard to use, like the Thunder Spears early on), I think he does a much better job at destroying specific enemy parts too. He has also a much simpler time dealing with large amounts of monsters in close combat with his horizontal swings, because giants tend to surround you. His upwards swings can also send enemies flying, and you can sort of juggle them for a bit too.

There are also little things here and there, like Hammers making him have "super armor" while attacking, so if he gets hit he won't get as much damage nor he will stop attacking.

So Frey to me is more like a "no frills" character with no exceptional features, but also no big weaknesses that you need to play around with. A well rounded character overall, with his potential being tied to how good you're playing instead of the crazy damage you can deal in bursts.

So yeah... To me completely depends on the stage.

Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: wiiAdventurer

SwedishGojira

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blog.svalas.net
XP
Country
WOW! I have not been that into Wii translations for some time now but since I found your work I have been in awe of your skills. Both the translation and the editing of art assets are close to perfect! I have so far played trough all your Wii translations and are really looking forward to this one as well :)

Reactions: Brand Newman

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
WOW! I have not been that into Wii translations for some time now but since I found your work I have been in awe of your skills. Both the translation and the editing of art assets are close to perfect! I have so far played trough all your Wii translations and are really looking forward to this one as well :)
Thank you very much for your message, regular customer :lol:

I'm quite pleased you like the art assets, considering the time invested in them : I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this, and am not the most gifted in this area (hence the rerelease of earth seeker last year), so this is particularly nice to read.

I'm thrilled that Gummi and I are going to release this patch after we're through with the "quality tests", and hope you'll like it as much as my previous job!

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
This project is coming to an end, please be patient one more week or so.

To mark the occasion, please find below what should be the final version of the title screen.

I have incorporated the original name of the game as well as moved the version number, since some of you felt it looked a bit "amateurish" to put it right under the title.

v4xeo7F.png

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Nice work Brand! Guess soon you're going to need a new avatar ;)
Yes I was thinking about that. Hope I'll do a better job than last time. To be honest I'm a sketcher, I usually mess up a bit when I try to colorize. But sketches don't look good when reduced... Anyway there are plenty of female characters in this game to add to my avatar (I'm a boy, but since my first translation was about a world of females only, I found it funny to always pick a girl character from the games I translated for my avatar. Thankfully, all of the games had strong and/or important woman characters in them!)

Reactions: biggzsizzle

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Good evening everyone,

After months of hacking and effort (and another month of beta testing), the English translation for “Zangeki No Reginleiv” for Wii is finally complete!

It is my pride to present you with this collaborative work between @Kaiser_Gummi and me.

I’d like to take the opportunity to thank @Lazlo52 and @MaeseJesus for their continuous support in the beta testing phase: this project would have taken a lot more time and be quite less polished without them.

You can download the patch at the following address, and see a little trailer I’ve put together on Youtube here:

Trailer:

English patch download link:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6025/

Please be warned that the videos (which were quite too heavy to fit into Romhacking.net) have to be downloaded separately (every link is provided in the README file, but I’ve put them below anyway), and if you happen to like our work, please leave a comment on Romhacking!

Translated videos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VC2a4zx0n_DsWqZkwWXRmzTqc6F93pmP/view?usp=sharing

Wii Motion Plus videos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xPyA_27okGlXOGR1KOLXNWah-4csbHwL/view?usp=sharing

Yours truly.

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Brand and everyone else that supported this project. It looks great! Wonderful job on that trailer.

Brand - after you've had a good rest, if you wouldn't mind, could you upload your trailers individually? I quite like each trailer you've done (the music, scene transitions, none of them overstay their welcome) and would like to use the trailers in my frontend for the individual game videos.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Thank you Brand and everyone else that supported this project. It looks great! Wonderful job on that trailer.

Brand - after you've had a good rest, if you wouldn't mind, could you upload your trailers individually? I quite like each trailer you've done (the music, scene transitions, none of them overstay their welcome) and would like to use the trailers in my frontend for the individual game videos.
Hello @wiiAdventurer ,

That's quite a compliment you're giving, thank you very much!

No problem to upload the trailers individually (anything to make my translations be known lol!), I'll work on that and let you know as quick as I can!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters