Translation Riivolution patch: Ikenie No Yoru English translation for Wii (100%)

SieKensou

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Quite a perfectionist aren't we? Well I can't blame you, I'm the same... My guess is you might be able to mess with the "main.dol" file, like I did so the names of the characters wouldn't appear in Japanese (something I discovered AFTER releasing the first edition of the patch, since Earth Seeker worked totally differently :cry:), but it's just a guess.

Or it could be related with console detection, since to my knowledge the text appears in gibberish on every non-japanese console (and doesn't on Dolphin).

To be honest I'm not sure of what I would be doing there, so if someone has a suggestion and does some tests on a modified ISO I'm opened to it : but in the end, I think it's more related to game identification than to modifying text per say.
Haha, yeah, I like everything as perfect as possible :D
I supose it checks the game disc region and show that screen according to the game. No idea of how to change that...

About the translation, I found something weird. I put the game yesterday and it seems that if you have an additional controller conected (classic controler, nunchuk, etc...) the game shows a black screen with a message, but it only shows random characters (I though the game was broken because I didn't notice I had the Nunchuk connected and the other buttons doesn't work in that screen). I supose that screen should say something like "Please, disconnect aditional controllers." or something like that, no idea...
That screen appear any time if you connect something to the WiiMote

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I supose it checks the game disc region and show that screen according to the game. No idea of how to change that...

About the translation, I found something weird. I put the game yesterday and it seems that if you have an additional controller conected (classic controler, nunchuk, etc...) the game shows a black screen with a message, but it only shows random characters (I though the game was broken because I didn't notice I had the Nunchuk connected and the other buttons doesn't work in that screen). I supose that screen should say something like "Please, disconnect aditional controllers." or something like that, no idea...
Yes I know, it's the same as for the message you get at the beginning of the game if you don't have a savefile on a non-Japanese console : probably some Japanese that can't be rendered correctly.

I'm actually looking on modifying the main.dol a little bit more, and I think I can change that : for now I'm working on polishing Earth Seeker for the same reason (expect a much more polished new patch for my first translation within days), and I'll be back to Ikenie : I should be able to see if I can modify that last part relatively fast.

Keep waiting, I'll be back soon ;)

Last edited by Brand Newman,

Jakethesnakeee18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey! so i actually have the physical copy of this game, i'm trying to play this patch with the riivolution app on my wii, when i load up the riivolution app nothing about "english patch" appears for me, it just says launch and then boots up the japanese version. Any tips or help? I've read the tutorial and placed the folder on the root of my SD card nothing seems to work for me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hey! super excited about this patch, i bought my physical copy of the game the week it actually released back in 2011, i'm trying to run it with the riivolution app on my wii, but nothing seems to work to get the patch to go on, whenever i launch the game it just boots up the japanese version. any help? Ive already placed all the contents of the patch on my SD card but it doesn't want to load the patch.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
hey! so i actually have the physical copy of this game, i'm trying to play this patch with the riivolution app on my wii, when i load up the riivolution app nothing about "english patch" appears for me, it just says launch and then boots up the japanese version. Any tips or help? I've read the tutorial and placed the folder on the root of my SD card nothing seems to work for me.

Hey! super excited about this patch, i bought my physical copy of the game the week it actually released back in 2011, i'm trying to run it with the riivolution app on my wii, but nothing seems to work to get the patch to go on, whenever i launch the game it just boots up the japanese version. any help? Ive already placed all the contents of the patch on my SD card but it doesn't want to load the patch.
Hello and thank you for using my patch.

It might sound like a silly question, but are you sure you have the patch "activated" on Riivolution? Check the screenshot I did in the "readme" file, and make sure that the "English Translation" option is not set on deactivated.

Please keep me informed !

Good evening.

So, as I wrote, I'm not sure I have the knowledge to change the language to English (or whatever language the console is set on) when booting the iso.

I did however manage to find the Japanese text in the main.dol file that didn't appear properly, like when you:
  • Tried to boot the game without installing the savefile first,
  • Forgot to unplug a Nunchuk or a classic controller.
So I present you with patch V01.02, which only modification is that you'll get the following screens in case you made one of the two aforementioned mistakes:

v3N5FqC.jpg

(Taken from the real Wii).

fbcR11G.jpg

(Appears both on real Wii and Dolphin).

You can either download a "fresh" version of the patch, or just the update which you can apply to either V01.00 or 01.01.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i8xBIwowmTVNIlKOdg-U01cPEB6U-QHj

Another thing : I'm not asking for compliments, but I'm thinking about submitting the patch to some websites that are specialized in translation : do you have any names? And can I have your feedbacks so far please ?

Thank you in advance for that, hope you appreciate the game and my work.

Yours truly.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Jakethesnakeee18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks so much for the reply above! so i actually did get the english patch to show up on the riivolution app, i have it toggled on and when i boot the game up its STILL only giving me the japanese version. im not sure where my mistake is because clearly if the english patch info is showing up now the info is on my SD card, not sure what to do to activate it properly. I've tried a few times and nothing.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
thanks so much for the reply above! so i actually did get the english patch to show up on the riivolution app, i have it toggled on and when i boot the game up its STILL only giving me the japanese version. im not sure where my mistake is because clearly if the english patch info is showing up now the info is on my SD card, not sure what to do to activate it properly. I've tried a few times and nothing.
My guess is that the architecture of your SD card might not be correct.

Please ensure that you have copied the 3 folders "apps", "IKENIE_eng" and "riivolution" to the root of the SD card.

The "private" and "0001000053454b4a" folders are respectively savefiles for real Wii and Dolphin, but since you wrote that the game boots in Japanese, you must already have a savefile in your Wii (though it might be a good idea to replace it with mine, since I guess you plan to play the game from the beginning anyway).

When booting Riivolution with the disc in the Wii, please ensure that the translation is set to "activated". Nothing more should be needed for the patch to work : maybe try to put a nunchuk purposely connected, so you'll see immediately if it works (you'll get the new English error message, otherwise it will be Japanese written in gibberish)?

If everything fails, maybe try to make an iso using the method in the readme?

Hope it helps, keep me informed.

Have a good day.

SieKensou

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So, as I wrote, I'm not sure I have the knowledge to change the language to English (or whatever language the console is set on) when booting the iso.

I did however manage to find the Japanese text in the main.dol file that didn't appear properly, like when you:
  • Tried to boot the game without installing the savefile first,
  • Forgot to unplug a Nunchuk or a classic controller.
So I present you with patch V01.02, which only modification is that you'll get the following screens in case you made one of the two aforementioned mistakes:

v3N5FqC.jpg

(Taken from the real Wii).

fbcR11G.jpg

(Appears both on real Wii and Dolphin).

You can either download a "fresh" version of the patch, or just the update which you can apply to either V01.00 or 01.01.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i8xBIwowmTVNIlKOdg-U01cPEB6U-QHj

Another thing : I'm not asking for compliments, but I'm thinking about submitting the patch to some websites that are specialized in translation : do you have any names? And can I have your feedbacks so far please ?

Thank you in advance for that, hope you appreciate the game and my work.

Yours truly.
Great! You did it! Thank you very much. Now we know what to do if we forgot what is happening when these messages are showed. Thanks for the good work and effort.
Again, I know it's not very important and it's perfectly understandable as you put it but if you want it perfect I can give you suggestions about the text. I don't know if you have more characters to put on that phrases but if you want to write them better they should be:

ORIGINAL: Error ocurred.
---EDITED: An error has occurred.

ORIGINAL: Please remember to import the savefile from the patch when using actual Wii.
---EDITED: Please, remember to import the save file from the patch to the Wii.

ORIGINAL: Please disconnect any expansion device.
---EDITED: Please, disconnect any extension device from the Wii Remote.

Don't forget the "commas" after the word "please" and the space in save file :)

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Great! You did it! Thank you very much. Now we know what to do if we forgot what is happening when these messages are showed. Thanks for the good work and effort.
Again, I know it's not very important and it's perfectly understandable as you put it but if you want it perfect I can give you suggestions about the text. I don't know if you have more characters to put on that phrases but if you want to write them better they should be:

ORIGINAL: Error ocurred.
---EDITED: An error has occurred.

ORIGINAL: Please remember to import the savefile from the patch when using actual Wii.
---EDITED: Please, remember to import the save file from the patch to the Wii.

ORIGINAL: Please disconnect any expansion device.
---EDITED: Please, disconnect any extension device from the Wii Remote.

Don't forget the "commas" after the word "please" and the space in save file :)
Well sorry on this one but I was already limited with the numbers of characters... It was the hardest part for me : having to simplify the text because otherwise it would not fit. Sometimes I would find a way to say things differently, sometimes I would just have to give the general idea (Japaneses can use a single character or two to say a word).

Besides I don't want to release patches after another patches unless it's really mandatory : after all everybody has a way to rephrase, and what suits us might not necessarily sound good for anothers...

But if you want to modify the text you can use any Hex editor and modify the main.dol directly. It should be easy now that the text is in English B-). Just look for it and modify it to your convenience, then replace the file from my patch.

Hope you're enjoying the game anyway, and that it doesn't "feel" too much of a foreigner, "pardon my French". :lol:

Have a nice day.

SieKensou

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Okay, that's understandable. I edited some of the text and I have some questions. Can I use more space when there are 00 00 00 00 values after the end of the text or you used the maximum for this texts? When my text is shorter than yours, should I replace the redundant characters with spaces or with 00 hex values?

Thank you for everything. This patch is much appreciated and I'm re-enjoying the game again thanks to your work.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Okay, that's understandable. I edited some of the text and I have some questions. Can I use more space when there are 00 00 00 00 values after the end of the text or you used the maximum for this texts? When my text is shorter than yours, should I replace the redundant characters with spaces or with 00 hex values?

Thank you for everything. This patch is much appreciated and I'm re-enjoying the game again thanks to your work.

You can use the 00 yes. Careful though, remember that the text is in big endian. I'm just saying this because I rarely left empty space, so I'm worried you're using the wrong format.

And careful with the length of your text. It goes next line automatically, but it can cut words especially in 4:3 ratio, so you must do it manually.

Glad you like my job anyway. Thank you for the feed back !

Jakethesnakeee18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is that the architecture of your SD card might not be correct.

Please ensure that you have copied the 3 folders "apps", "IKENIE_eng" and "riivolution" to the root of the SD card.

The "private" and "0001000053454b4a" folders are respectively savefiles for real Wii and Dolphin, but since you wrote that the game boots in Japanese, you must already have a savefile in your Wii (though it might be a good idea to replace it with mine, since I guess you plan to play the game from the beginning anyway).

When booting Riivolution with the disc in the Wii, please ensure that the translation is set to "activated". Nothing more should be needed for the patch to work : maybe try to put a nunchuk purposely connected, so you'll see immediately if it works (you'll get the new English error message, otherwise it will be Japanese written in gibberish)?

If everything fails, maybe try to make an iso using the method in the readme?

Hope it helps, keep me informed.

Have a good day.

Hey there! i finally got the patch to run, i just want to say a HUGE thank you for this. i have wanted to play this game in english for 9 years now, and you made that possible. makes the game 1000% more immersive to be reading the text while playing now.

Reactions: Brand Newman

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
a Ninja posting in a translation thread... brings back memories.

I never posted here officially about the patch, but thanks for putting your time into these projects :)
You said your english might not be proper due to being french, I would propose myself to read check, but again... I'm french too; not the best :lol: but if the script is not too long I could give a look for your next projects. you're not the only one thinking I'm an "expat" ;) though an english native would be better to qc the script.

Last edited by Cyan,

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
a Ninja posting in a translation thread... brings back memories.

I never posted here officially about the patch, but thanks for putting your time into these projects :)
You said your english might not be proper due to being french, I would propose myself to read check, but again... I'm french too; not the best :lol: but if the script is not too long I could give a look for your next projects. you're not the only one thinking I'm an "expat" ;) though an english native would be better to qc the script.
Thanks Cyan, your help would be very appreciated. Future collaboration in sight ? :wtf::whip:

CAPNDRAKE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi this is my 1st post! thanks for all the hard work!

was wondering if anyone else has tried this with a physical disc on the wii u with riivolution & just gotten a black screen. I have tried riivolution on vWii with fatal frame 2 & it works fine. am i doing something wrong?

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
hi this is my 1st post! thanks for all the hard work!

was wondering if anyone else has tried this with a physical disc on the wii u with riivolution & just gotten a black screen. I have tried riivolution on vWii with fatal frame 2 & it works fine. am i doing something wrong?
Hello and thank you for your message.

First I suggest you to run the game with Riivolution but with the translation setting set as "deactivated" : it should run your game in Japanese "as it is", so you'll know it's working by default.

Then try the followings :
  • Check if "savegame redirection" is set to "enabled", and set it to "disabled",
  • Don't forget to import the savegame provided with the patch (although Riivolution seems to work without it, contrary to loaders),
  • Be sure that you have imported the content of the patch at the root of your SD card.
I personally don't use vWii to run my games (though I do own a Wii U) : if you still have troubles, I'll try to use Riivolution with my Wii U and see if it works for me.

Please keep us informed !

Last edited by Brand Newman,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
One question, how should I put the save file on the Wii's memory?

I know about Savegame Manager GX, but I remember that to insert a save file you needed to have one installed on your Wii first (as in, you can't simply put a save file, but you have to replace the one in your memory).

I did not know about this game and looks pretty interesting, thank you for your hard work (for this and Earth Seeker too!).

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
One question, how should I put the save file on the Wii's memory?

I know about Savegame Manager GX, but I remember that to insert a save file you needed to have one installed on your Wii first (as in, you can't simply put a save file, but you have to replace the one in your memory).

I did not know about this game and looks pretty interesting, thank you for your hard work (for this and Earth Seeker too!).
If you put the content of my patch in your SD card, you should have the savefile in the SD tab of your memory manager when going to Wii menu (check the readme for screenshots) : you should be able to import this in the Wii tab without having to create a "blank" savefile, like you have with savegame manager GX. :)

(PS : thanks for your message about my translations, glad to see people are still playing the Wii and my work is useful to them).

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Damn, it has been so long since I moved a save file with the Wii Menu that I did not even remember that was an option!
Thank you!

And of course your translations are welcomed, specially since Wii does not get that many translations to begin with.
I never expected the day I could play Earth Seeker understanding what it says!

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I missed this when it was released - didn't even know it was being worked on, so I'm really pleased to see it here!
I've been intending on re-converting all my hard drive containing wbfs games to nkit iso's, but it was a pretty daunting prospect... adding this to the drive is probably the kick in the arse I need to sort all the other iso's out :)

update
Translation patch works great... now I just need a patch to fix the control scheme because it's pretty much unplayable for me with the spasticated config it has. :huh:

Last edited by duwen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.