Hacking Riivolution 1.04 not working on Wii, Black Screen Freeze

DBSharpy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of my friends who has his Wii on System Menu 4.3 can't get Riivolution to work properly. Riivo loads, let's him choose from any of the options, but when he tries to load the game, he gets a black screen freeze. Aside from unplugging his wii, he can't turn it off even when holding the power button for seven seconds. Has this happened to anyone else and are there any fixes for it? For myself and two others who updated their Wiis to 4.3, Riivolution 1.04 works. However, his is the exception.

Additional Info:

(We used a clean XML and files confirmed to be working on multiple Wiis, including my wii.)

His wii is a launch-day wii, if that means anything. He has successfully used Riivolution 1.01, 1.02, and 1.03 as well. Upon updating his wii to 4.3, Riivo tried to do something to I0S37, which failed. From there, he upgraded to 1.04, which resulted in the disc being detected, the XML being loaded and from there, a black screen with the disc drive no longer spinning or being read (the blue light also stops.)

Note that We used Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition to delete IOS37, and used Riivolution to reinstall IOS37, as it did ages ago. This resulted in a black screen freeze when loading a game with Riivolution. We did the same thing, installing it through Dop-Mii. This resulted in a black screen freeze when loading a game with Riivolution. We uninstalled, and installed the IOS37 version right under the last. This resulted in a black screen freeze when loading a game with Riivolution.

Some more info that may be worth knowing:
His wii is a bit laggy in the Menu.
His wii's disc drive spins a lot to load things. This currently happens with all games, and it is loud.
He sent his Wii into Nintendo, but they did not fix it due to detecting "unauthorized software". I guess we didn't cover our tracks well enough?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not really sure what answer you're expecting, if Riivolution thought something wasn't right with the wii it wouldn't let you get as far as launching the game.

DBSharpy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
Not really sure what answer you're expecting, if Riivolution thought something wasn't right with the wii it wouldn't let you get as far as launching the game.
It doesn't let him launch the game. Or, are you saying that Riivolution is saying something is wrong with the wii? And if that is the case, what could it be? Might it be the disc drive?

M1r0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When "I" launch the game?

I could probably help you cover your tracks better if that's what you want to do... Post a syscheck.

DBSharpy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I'm using second person because I don't own the Wii, and I'm talking in a general, hypothetical sense. And I will do that, but you'll have to give me a few days since, once again, it is not my Wii. Thank you though! I will try to post it by Friday.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't bother with syscheck, that information is useless in this case.
You haven't said which game you were trying to load, or if it happens with all games - just that his wii makes loud noises on all games.
As I said, if Riivolution is letting you get as far as clicking "Launch" then as far as it can tell there is nothing wrong with the IOS or the disc (at least the start of it). And if that's the case no other tool is going to find anything wrong either.
I don't suppose he happens to have a modchip or a WODE connected?

M1r0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Syscheck isn't useless, just to confirm his 37 is really updated...

Edit: Read your post, don't really use riivolution often, so your advice is probably better than mine.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
M1r0 said:
Syscheck isn't useless, just to confirm his 37 is really updated...

Edit: Read your post, don't really use riivolution often, so your advice is probably better than mine.

In fact, it is useless. Riivolution would refuse to boot if no appropriate IOS37 is installed, right?

DBSharpy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
You haven't said which game you were trying to load, or if it happens with all games - just that his wii makes loud noises on all games.
As I said, if Riivolution is letting you get as far as clicking "Launch" then as far as it can tell there is nothing wrong with the IOS or the disc (at least the start of it). And if that's the case no other tool is going to find anything wrong either.
I don't suppose he happens to have a modchip or a WODE connected?
This happens with Brawl, I have not been able to test it with any other games while using proper XMLs, I hope to do that today and get back to you. And it doesn't make loud noises, it stays on the black screen and the disc never spins. If I can get my capture card working, I will try to show you exactly what happens. The disc is not the problem, because he can play Brawl normally, and we tried this with both his disc and my disc. They both work, but not when using Riivolution on his Wii. This IOS37 was uninstalled and reinstalled; I tried with several versions. Each time nothing worked. The Wii has only been softmodded, and I have no clue what a WODE is but can assure you there is none connected to it.

And what other than uninstalling Homebrew do you really need to do to make sure Nintendo doesnt find homebrew or altered files? I think it might be an issue with the disc drive, which wouldn't be his fault...

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can still test launching games from Riivolution without any XML files at all, in fact I would strongly recommend it to rule out the XML patches as an issue.

DBSharpy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
You can still test launching games from Riivolution without any XML files at all, in fact I would strongly recommend it to rule out the XML patches as an issue.
Then in that case, I believe Goldeneye caused the same issue, as well as Brawl with no XML. I will do a more comprehensive test of what does and does not work later tonight, hopefully.

DBSharpy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I am currently using Smash Stack to reinstall the Homebrew Channel. Loading Brawl sounds like the Wii is trying to eat my disc, though...

Right now, I am testing to see that everything works with Gecko OS. The File Patch code works fine, and the wii is noisy.

Ok, just went back to the main Wii Menu through the home button after making everything did get patched by the code. Wii just did a hanging freeze; screen turned black, never gets to menu. That may be because I went through the homebrew channel, I forget if that does that.

Just launched Riivolution v1.04, the latest version. It did not install a new IOS37, which leads me to believe that that may be what Nintendo saw. Anyway, pressed the Launch Button with no XML on the SD card. Black Screen, Disc Drive Light turned off, the game never started spinning, and there you have it, that is the issue that always happens. It cannot be turned off with the Wiimote.

I will try this with Goldeneye and Mario Kart Wii.

LAST EDIT: Ok, it is official. All games cease to work when Riivolution is loading. Black screen, no disc movement, major hangage.

Here is my syscheck report. http://www.mediafire.com/?09b80iv7hxrhvcm

I'll check back tomorrow, hopefully this gives some info. Sorry I was not able to get the capture card up and running.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Report generated on 1974/10/06.
Marty it's nearly 10pm, you need to get the Delorean to the clock tower before the lightning strikes!

(Fix the wii's system time. If it's already correct then maybe SYSCONF is messed up.)

DBSharpy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, just did that. I have no clue why it was messed up. Alright, quick question, what does stub mean? Either way, here's the report.

CODEsysCheck v2.1.0b7 by Double_A
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 67786578
Boot2 v4
Found 95 titles.
Found 45 IOS on this console. 16 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS250 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10

Report generated on 2011/04/09.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Getting tired of repeating myself, syscheck reports rarely contain useful information and especially so when dealing with Riivolution. It only uses IOS37 and if a clean, properly installed version wasn't found it wouldn't even start.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What was the time actually set to before you fixed it in the system menu? I'm curious because it's impossible to manually set it to anything before 2000.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s