Hacking Right not working on DS Lite Dpad

calebh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The right direction on my dpad is broken. At first, it was stuck (it wasn't physically stuck, it was just that the dpad seemed to go back to normal and it still thought I was pressing right) and now it doesn't work at all.

I have a 5 year old black ds lite, so it's definitely not covered under the warranty.

When I press it, it sounds different then the other directions. When I press the working directions, it makes a soft "clicking" noise when I press it down. When I press the broken right direction, it goes down fine, but it makes a loud clicking sound when the dpad is released (this doesn't happen with the working directions)

Perhaps somebody who has taken a ds lite apart before has some advice.

EDIT: This problem has been solved. I opened up the ds and saw some of the black stuff from the rubber pads had rubbed off onto the gold sensors. I cleaned that off with isopropanol and a qtip and replaced the rubber pads with ones I bought online. Everything works fine and the buttons feel much smoother with the new pads.

calebh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Okay I don't really get what you mean by clicking noise?

Knowing that the button functions with pretty much exposed contacts on the surface and relying on silicone pads, chances are the silicone pads or buttons or whatever are your issue. But normally it'd work from time to time. If you press really hard, or press and sort of shift it side to side a little would it work? Or is it dead completely?

Just wondering, does the right button feel different from the other directions, perhaps softer, as in it pushes down and shows less resistance?

Indeed, the right button seems to go down easier, and it feels like it's hitting a harder surface then the other directions. It still doesn't work even when trying different angles or pressure amounts applied. The noise made when released is hard to explain, when I press the other buttons it makes a softer clicking noise then when I press the right direction.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like the contact pads underneath have broken. The right button is now hitting the motherboard directly. If you want to fix you'll have to buy new ones for your D-Pad and open up your DSL to replace.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty easy to do...you just need to open to bottom of your DS, unscrew the only one screw holding the motherboard and replace the pad and put everything back in....tutorials on youtube...many of them

calebh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sleep.gif
I'll crack open the case first before I order anything off the net. My tri-wing screwdriver should be coming in a couple days. I'll post some pictures here if I can.

@BlackDave
Does that mean I don't even have to take out the wifipack and remove all those wires running under the game slot?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv