Rich Stanton (Edge/PC Gamer/etc.) exposes shady "game journalism&#

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by soulx, Oct 10, 2012.

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Writer: Rich Stanton went on Twitter and "exposed" various questionable dealings in the videogame journalism industry.

Insight into general video-game journalism

They control everything "@theubermod: @RichStanton Do publishers/platform holders 'pay' for covers? In either ad spend or access."

Yes "@helloimandrew: @RichStanton do review scores in future publications sometimes magically change before it hits the self"

Homefront, less obviously. Most is Driv3rgate "@Tim__Lane: @RichStanton game that got most obviously dodgy reviews?"

Rockstar, without question. "@LittleJuiceBox1: @RichStanton Who were the dodgiest PRs for doing deals (review scores etc)?"

2K bitch a lot. EA/Acti are numbers-driven. "@bmart_12: @RichStanton If Rockstar was the dodgiest, who else is up there?"

Yes. Future will do anything to accommodate advertisers. "@LewieP: @RichStanton have you witnessed any dodgy deals?"

Shady sites:

CVG. They deliberately misquote devs, and claim it's a mistake after the hits "@DilutedDante: @RichStanton worst games mag/site?"

PC Gamer asked me to take some photos of something very specific. A wall of concept art. I asked permission, and did so.

Valve went nuts. This wasn't approved! Do you know what PC Gamer's editor, Tim Edwards, did?
    He denied I had ever been asked to do it. Said PCG were merely the innocent recipient. Lied, in other words. Cunt.

Edge gave GTA IV [10] but the review didn't "@CiaranMac90: @RichStanton Just give us the worst story on Future you have and get some rest!"

I'm genuinely amazed that nobody has picked up on the fact that GTA4 got a 9 which became Rockstar's much sought-after [10] in Edge.

Nope, the rest are kosher. GTAIV was bent "@DilutedDante: @RichStanton any other Edge [10]'s not earn it?"

Good PR

Nintendo - flawless. Early access, no interest in the score. "@MDKII: @RichStanton Any other examples of good PR you've dealt with?"

Nintendo "@DuncanSkuse: @RichStanton Who was best/worst of the 3 console makers?"

Capcom, for example, push for scores - but in the right way "@cgentero: @RichStanton Were Japanese publishers just as willing to buy scores?

What I mean by that is they'd send you the game early, with meganotes to ensure you 'got it'. Works for me. Good PR.

https://twitter.com/RichStanton

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It is known.

Yeah, video game news is honestly shit. It's either view raking or ass licking.

The most recent trend that annoys me is when they put "report" in the title. Like "Report - Nintendo making a cybernetic dog controller". It's obviously a really dumb-as-shit rumor but "Report" in the title makes it sound like breaking, pressing news.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Nintendo and Capcom are awesome.

All other publishers are scum.

4. Lurker2

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    The second you said Capcom you lost all creditability.

Rasas likes this.
  5. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Circlejerking over the assblasting caused by Megaman Legends 3 aside, the guy says they're a pretty solid distributor when it comes to their scores. You'd think if they were less honest they'd be getting better scores for a big game like RE6.

1 person likes this.
  6. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I heard RE 6 was not as good as 5, I loved part 4 and loathed part 5, so if 6 is worse than 5.... Yeah gonna skip it.

7. Lurker2

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    Try the demo then. Also if you don't like how the camera does things you never will so don't buy it then. I guess I dislike the death of Megaman (minus the smartphone game and possibly games) which you mentioned and some of the DLC issues they are now removing according to some articles and if RE6 has shown anything it seems to be not present. Ya, I guess they are on the right track now and possibly always were with reviews.

Rasas likes this.
  8. narutofan777

Member narutofan777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Afghanistan
    there are very few good game reviewers. I've read ign reviews for a long time and they are straight up trash. The only website with the most honest best reviews is from gameinformer. other than that I always check gamerankings for the average score.

sometimes the ign reviewers don't even know how to play a game well and will decrease the score for difficulty.

9. soulx
    OP

Canada
    [​IMG]

>IGN

4 people like this.
  10. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Imagine: Cuntz

That's IGN.

11. Ethevion

Member Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Canada
    Game reviewers really do suck. I prefer to watch gameplay videos. If I just want to try the game, I'll rent it. If I like it, I'll buy it. I enjoy deciding for myself which games are good.
    These shady scores also remind me of Ferrari in the car world. The test cars they send in are pretuned for the track they're on so they win in most categories and get the highest scores. Shady journalism is everywhere. :ninja:

They spelled incredibly wrong in the Lasting Appeal section for God Hand lmao.

12. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    So they were both?
    What? Is that real? I don't even...

Maybe they got the scores mix up...

:/

13. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Eh, I don't really rely on game reviews much anymore. I typically watch TotalBiscuit WTF videos to get a good vibe of how the game works and looks, and get input from other users on forums and such.
    I honestly don't know what to think when Joystiq gives 95% of the games they review a 4.5/5 review. I might be stretching it a bit, but its either a 4.5 or a 5 with them. Maybe it's because I usually only
    read reviews about pretty good games. ;)

14. Guild McCommunist

United States
    The God Hand review is notorious. It got a bad score because the reviewer sucked at the game. Instead of pawning it off on someone who can learn to play it (which is quite possible and why the game has such a cult following) he just said "EVERYTHING IS BAD" and slapped it with a 3/10.

There's A LOT of games that are shittier than God Hand but got such better reviews. In fact a lot of their reviews are jokes. Pokemon Black/White 2 for instance. Not that the game is horrible, but they've progressively been giving the franchise lower scores for "lacking innovation" but gave this a 9.6 while not even touching on the fact that it still lacks innovation.

IGN is the equivalent of monkeys on typewriters.

1 person likes this.
  15. soulx
    OP

Canada
    http://gamejournos.com/

Worth reading if you want to see examples of shitty game journalism.

The former. His previous tweets made that clear.

16. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    That's an insult to monkeys on typewriters everywhere. At least the monkeys are capable of coming up with Hamlet.

1 person likes this.
  17. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Guys come on, yeah IGN is pretty bad, but all sites have their good reviewers, and bad reviewers. I mean, the newer people at IGN? yeah, they're terrible, but the Matt Cassamina or whatever, the dude who does Nintendo games, he's pretty good and honest.

Gamespot is pretty bad too, but Jeff Gerstmann and Alex Navarro are really good and honest.

Honestly, there was a time when game review sites were spot on. Yeah they might piss off the few players, but they were usually good. But with all of the older reviewers leaving and shit, every reviewer coming out is just doing a terrible job. That's why you should always base a game for yourself, and screw the opinions.

For me, when I go to buy a game, I read wikipedia about it. I youtube videos about it. Just to get a faint idea if I'll like it or not. If not, then screw it.

But it's good to see that Nintendo is still doing good.

18. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Hmm...so gaming journalism isn't really journalism? It's not exactly new.

That it's done so openly is interesting, but honestly...how are game reviews (or critics, for that matter) ever anything but someone's opinion about it?

There is no ethical vow of objectivity. There is no way to empirically measure the quality of a game. And in fact, quite some games have no single way to play things out. Mix that in with way too little time to actually write out a thing that will be contested NO MATTER WHAT YOU WRITE...and the urge to make the best of it will soon fade out.

I see it on this forums as well: someone likes a game, and almost instantly someone else dislikes the game. So with that in mind...how can we even EXPECT game reviewers to unite radically different opinions on a game?

So...yeah. Just go check out features and gameplay videos. If you absolutely want to go with a score, go with metacritic. The results will still be skewed, but at least not as much.

19. Guild McCommunist

United States
    The issue is that game reviewers are influenced more by aspects that aren't the game than aspects that are the game. There's also quite a "herd" mentality that goes with game reviewing. If 100 reviewers played Skyrim and thought it was fantastic and you thought it was shit, you'll just end up getting laughed at and branded as a "joke reviewer."

In general I find reviews to be highly untrustworthy. I rarely buy based on reviews any more, I buy more so based on what I've seen about the game or from the opinions of like-minded people. I'll buy games my friends get because we generally have similar tastes, or I'll buy a game like Metal Gear Rising because it looks like a lot of fun.

There's also issues not really associated with outside influences but general stigma on games. Almost anything considered below an 8/10 is doomed. It's not like movies where "3 out 5 stars" is a generally acceptable score. I mean the scale is hardly out of ten than it is out of three. 1/3 is the worst of the worst, 2/3 is mediocre, 3/3 is what you buy (if you didn't catch on I roughly divided the general "out of 10" system into 1-3, 3-7, and 8-10).

Niche franchises are also treated a bit unfairly. Take a game like Dynasty Warriors. It has no intention to appeal outside of its demographic and its a franchise plagued with issues but people don't look at it that way. A Dynasty Warriors game will be lucky to receive an 8/10 but fans will buy a 5/10 Dynasty Warriors game over tons of 8/10 games any day. They don't look at a review to see "It's the same repetitive hack and slash", they want to read a review based on the merits within the fanbase. They want to see if it has a lot of characters, delivers a nice power boner, and has a lot of content.

And of course there's the "viewgrabbing" of online publications, often filling their news feeds with terribly inaccurate rumors or inaccurate information to grab views. The same can be said for reviews. If Skyrim is getting 9/10 everywhere, a big time reviewer who says "5/10 this game is crap" will gain more reviews than another man in the circlejerk of Skyrim.

20. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Anyone else remember IGN giving Sonic 06 a higher score than Sonic Unleashed?