Rhythm Tengoku translation

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by Dirtie, May 18, 2007.

1. Dirtie
    OP

Dirtie :'D

Former Staff
    Sep 9, 2003
    New Zealand
    Zealer
    Update:

I've successfully tested the ability to repointer text - that means space won't ever be a problem.

[​IMG]
    This song doesn't like single-byte English ASCII characters at all (everything gets garbled up), so double-byte English JIS characters must be used instead. To do this I had to repointer this particular text to an empty area near the end of the rom so I had enough space; generally you need about two English characters for every Japanese character - when one English character requires the same amount of bytes as one Japanese character you can see why it's necessary.
    Don't worry though, because standard single-byte ASCII characters should work fine in most places (like the first screenshot in my first post).

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Nice going Dirtie. For the end translation are you planning to use as much space as you can during the complilers assigned sections or are you going straight to the end of the rom?

3. Dirtie
    OP

Former Staff
    Sep 9, 2003
    New Zealand
    Zealer
    Which would you recommend [​IMG]?

I was planning on using the assigned space and only repointering if I ran out, however I can see how putting everything at the end would be a lot cleaner and would make future modifications easier. The issue with that is that the pointers are all over the place (mixed in with event code) all through the rom - it'd be a pain in the ass to change each and every one.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Personally I say try not to go over the 16meg/128 Mbit limit, if you can stay under then stick it at the end. If you need to go over then go back into the rom.
    From what I see though you have around 3 megabytes to play with which should be more than enough for even the most complex RPG let alone this game.

5. Dirtie
    OP

Former Staff
    Sep 9, 2003
    New Zealand
    Zealer
    Script updated at: http://dirtie.gbatemp.net/rtscript.rar

I spent hours going through and taking out the parts that weren't actually text and pretty much all the control codes have been marked.

I'm pleased to mention that we now have a translator (4ppleseed's friend with a Master's in Japanese) who has very generously offered to go through the script. A very big thanks for this [​IMG]

Edit: Cleaner script with all the control codes removed and just a single per string (formatted for easy viewing/translation): http://dirtie.gbatemp.net/script.txt
    If viewing in browser be sure to set to shift-jis encoding.

I'll hook you guys up with some more screenshots once I receive some translation progress.

6. shingyau

shingyau GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2002
    Morden
    Hope this is going well Dirtie! In my most humble opinion, this is the best game on the GBA [​IMG]

7. JimMack

JimMack Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2006
    Just wanted to chime in and say good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing a release. (Not trying to rush you, take all the time you want)

Edit: Any reason saved games on the japanese version won't work on the eventual translated version?

8. Dirtie
    OP

Former Staff
    Sep 9, 2003
    New Zealand
    Zealer
    There's a 99.9% chance they'll work just fine.

9. 4ppleseed

4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2007
    London
    It's going fine but sloooowly. Sam has never translated a ROM before and there's over 100 pages in the script. Some things really threw him at the beginning, for example he translated a line to say 'Goods received' but the line in Japanese started with a vowel sound you'd never start a sentence with.

After leaving it for a bit we worked out it must be added on to something else in the script.

For example in Zelda you get the hookshot and then later you get the boomerang. Well hookshoot would be HS1 and Boomerang BO2 and in the game it would be something like..... HS1 (Item Received) or BO2 (Item Received). So it saves space by having the variable and reusing the comment about it.

Seems obvious now [​IMG]

10. Dirtie
    OP

Former Staff
    Sep 9, 2003
    New Zealand
    Zealer
    Very interesting indeed [​IMG]
    Yup, that is how things work. Included in the event code are text pointers, so the above example would have two pointers to two separate strings in the same portion of code. I never expected that something like this would come up [​IMG]
    Thanks to both of you for your persistence [​IMG]

I have made up my mind to store all the text at the end of the rom, leaving ample space for every string so modifications can be made easily (I'll divide the the number of strings evenly into the amount of free space). However, when it comes to the release version, all the strings will be compressed a lot closer together (it'll be as easy as replacing multiple 00 bytes with a single 00 byte) which means the patch may be slightly smaller (not by much though), but the main benefit is that you'll be able to trim more off when loading it onto your flash cart. After that each and every text pointer will be repointered (which will be the tiresome part for me specifically).

11. felix123

felix123 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2006
    New Zealand
    Thanks.
    Maybe you can reference a walkthrough to ensure a consistent translation?

12. Dirtie
    OP

Former Staff
    Sep 9, 2003
    New Zealand
    Zealer
    I expect the translator has already had a look at this, but it's a good reminder if not [​IMG]

I just want to mention that although we have a complete text script (I hope), translation of this will not translate all the Japanese in the game, as some is in images. It's possible that these will not be translated in the first main release of the patch.
    I've taken an initial look with a tile editor through the rom, but have yet to find anything substantial. If there's anyone who has knowledge of such things and wants to see what they can find in terms of graphics, by all means go ahead. I might try taking a look at some of the event code as I'm pretty sure it contains graphics pointers, so it should be as easy as searching for a text pointer - pointers for related graphics should be nearby.

Also, if anyone has a save file with EVERYTHING unlocked (not just all the normal minigames), it would be greatly appreciated if you could let us know [​IMG]

Edit: Just wanted to mention, one of the coolest extras in this game is the 'handheld/virtual drum kit' where you're free to drum using your little GBA pad just how you like (no automation whatsoever).
    Check out this guy's drumming (I suspect he's a drummer in real life):

13. 4ppleseed

4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2007
    London
    Yip we have the guide. It's a very useful reference, that's for sure.

14. Lookie401

Lookie401 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2006
    United States
    You can download a save that someone posted on gamefaqs.com. That does have everything unlocked.

And I'm glad to see progress in this project. I can't wait for a release version. XD

15. 4ppleseed

4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2007
    London
    The drumming bit rocks! Such a great game.
    Those videos are outstanding!! I'm more a two-step kick, snare - kick, snare - kick, snare - kick, DUM MDUMD DUDMDM and repeat kinda guy [​IMG]

Cheers for the link lookie401, I'll try it out tonight. [​IMG]

16. 4ppleseed

4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2007
    London
    I can't get the save file from gamefaq to work on my EZF4 because it has some odd save file type. I tried renaming it but it kept loading the old one from the card memory. Any ideas?

The gamefaq save is .sps ... how do I convert that to .sav?

17. Dirtie
    OP

Former Staff
    Sep 9, 2003
    New Zealand
    Zealer
    Load up the rom in VBA, import a "Gameshark snapshot", select the file, then you can export a proper save file.

18. 4ppleseed

4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2007
    London
    Ta! [​IMG]

19. nine0nine

nine0nine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2006
    Albania
    just stumbled onto this thread while looking for GBA translations, hope you guys get this project finished, i really love this game [​IMG]

20. 4ppleseed

4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2007
    London
    It's taking a while.

Have you seen how much text there is in the Rhythm Data Room (third option down on the menu)!!??!!!!111 [​IMG]

Plus the translator is finishing his dissertation at the moment (about the avant-garde Japanese playwright Kôbô Abe) - so only has an hour or so a week to fiddle with the script. Don't worry it'll come eventually!

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted