W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xOlu45T.png

Nick Robinson: Stop playing the translation I wrote text for. Get off the Internet and repair the damage you've done.

Gameplay videos // Updates (Download and Source Code) // RSS
Other pages: ROMhacking.net // Google // Guide // Modding Discord

TXbkNWH.png

Rhythm Heaven is a series of games from Nintendo and SPD Group 1. The game is full of odd situations. Players tap-dance with monkeys, steal cheese as a mouse, play in an outer-space home-run derby, and so on. The Rhythm Heaven gameplay is simple: press buttons in time with the background music. There's nothing quite like Rhythm Heaven, but games like Guitar Hero are in the same basic genre.

Gameplay video 1
Gameplay video 2
Gameplay video 3
Gameplay video 4 with commentary (Wii version)

Rhythm Tengoku ("Rhythm Heaven") is the first game in the series. It came out in Japan in 2006, but never made it anywhere else. Its two sequels have been translated and released overseas, but Tengoku never was.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said:
By the time Rhythm Tengoku launched in Japan, the Nintendo DS had been around for ages. It was too late to introduce the game for American and European markets.
The fact that it was a weird, brand-new series couldn't have helped.

G9Zl5Mr.png
TSuLbPZ.png

0KM2HFL.png

Since 2007, various fans have tried to translate this game. Thankfully, our team has finished the text translation. We now have a hacker and graphics artist working to translate any Japanese graphics to English.

The title of this hack is Rhythm Heaven Silver. Why Silver? In short, because this game's sequel was called Rhythm Heaven Gold in Japan. The name also had zero Google results before this project started.

PaNK33W.png
9etnJBN.png

dP7rEEe.png

Is the translation done yet?
  • Every bit of text in this game is now translated and ready to play.
  • 95% of the Japanese graphics have been edited to English.
  • 85% of the Japanese graphics are fully complete and very high-quality. The remaining 10% needs some work (spacing).
  • You can download our latest release here.
  • We have the ability to edit Japanese sounds into English and will start doing so shortly.
Hasn't this already been done in English?
  • No. Rhythm Heaven DS and Rhythm Heaven Wii are sequels to this game.
Why translate this? You can understand how to play without knowing Japanese.
  • True, but the text is often funny.
  • Other highlights include:
    • 18 emails, several paragraphs each, are now readable.
    • The studio has English songs. Now you can easily find the song you want.
    • It's easier for first-time players to understand how to play the game.
    • The Rap Men's (text-based) rap is no longer in Japanese.
4MhCx8T.png
6llUOBU.png

When will the translation be done?
  • The text translation (mini-games, emails, etc.) is done.
  • The Japanese graphics have mostly been translated to English.
  • We want to see this project done as much as you do.
What will be included in the final patch?
  • English translations for all regular text.
  • Edited main menu and other graphics to be English.
  • Edited graphics for introductions of mini-games.
  • Edited sound cues for games like "Marcher" ("Turn right", "turn left"...)
What will not be included in the final patch?
  • New voice work to replace Japanese-language songs in games like The Bon*Odori, Remix 3, and Remix 5. We doubt that a fan-made dub could match the quality of the original Japanese soundtrack.
SrGLa.png
j6HEg.png

V4IGCAn.png

1. Support the Franchise
  1. Buy the game. Rhythm Tengoku is expensive, but you need it in order to play the translation hack. The game costs around $40-$60, it seems.
  2. Buy Rhythm Heaven (DS) and Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii). Both are still sold cheaply (around $10 each for the DS and Wii games).
  3. Register the DS game and Wii game on your region's Club Nintendo website. Take 10 minutes and fill out the surveys for it, and mention how much you like Rhythm Heaven and wish Rhythm Tengoku would come to America / Europe, even as an untranslated digital download on the 3DS or Wii/Wii U eShop. If you like the games, let Nintendo know!
2. Patch Your Game
  1. Legally back up your cartridge using GBA Backup Tool.
  2. Download the latest patch.
  3. Keep an unmodified backup of Rhythm Tengoku.gba. Each new patch will require an unmodified ROM.
  4. Patch the ROM with Lunar IPS or a similar IPS patcher. Your ROM is now in English.
3. Play the Game
  1. Use a GBA flashcart or slot-2 expansion pack for DS to play the game. Emulators can be used, but be aware that all emulators have slight slowdown. Play it on a real DS or GBA if you can. It's absolutely worth it.
  2. If you're using an emulator, we recommend making the D-Pad controllable with your left hand and the A/B Buttons controllable with your right hand (like you were playing a real GBA). The game assumes you play in this way.
  3. (Optional) Configure your flashcart / emulator to use a completed save file.
  4. If you still wish to play the game with Japanese text, keep an unmodified ROM on your flashcart or computer.
  5. This guide might be helpful if you don't understand a mini-game.
You can try these emulators:

Windows: VBA-M // VBA // no$gba
Linux: mednafen // VBA-M
OSX: VBA // VBA-M

x6RRJb1.png
vbDHr.png

aV6gCNW.png

*These quotes were written about the untranslated version of Rhythm Tengoku.

If I had to be cast away on a deserted island with but a single game for my Nintendo DS, I would have to opt for the fat little imported Gameboy Advance nugget that is Rhythm Tengoku. Niero Gonzalez, Destructoid.com

But it would be a shame for Western gamers to be denied the game -- Rhythm Heaven feels as fresh and imaginative as the original WarioWare did three years before, and it features a superb soundtrack. Jeremy Parish, 1up.com

You'd think that the minigames would have trouble holding your interest with such basic gameplay, but this is one of the most addictive titles we've ever seen. Nintendo Power

Even with the language barrier, this is a highly recommended GBA import. Craig Harris, IGN.com

Famitsu review scores: three 9/10s and one 7/10.

...the best Game Boy Advance game that you haven’t played. Chris Kohler, Game|Life (Wired.com)

UVHAq.png
MNWGscb.png

Well, what are you waiting for?

Last edited by W hat, , Reason: I hate Nick Robinson

Vincentmrl

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Awesome work, but I have a question: how should I run the rom? If you need any help with something (Except translating or anything that's related to editing the rom) tell me so I can help

WatagiKankens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I can be a pixel artist. I can make the special fonts and special graphics. what format would you want it to be in Bitmap, JPEG? As for beta testing I can't really do that at this time because my XP died (broke-down) and needs to be resurrected (fixed) and all I have is this stone age 98 but I can at least see if it can run emulators so theres no garrantee I can do that. I would do japanese speaking thing but I speak english and im still learning the symbols and some vocabulary but I do not understand text nor voice in japanese. but overall I can be a pixel artist

WatagiKankens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
and if you won't an example of how im a good pixel artist just click on these to see some screenshots I edited to english

Rhythm Test
http://gamerxextreme.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=148015596

Karate Master (I thought it was karate house but ok)
http://gamerxextreme.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=148025206

Title Screen
http://gamerxextreme.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=144673499

Oh and just to let you know. im making a remake of this game just incase this project dies (which I hope never happens) and also can you all check out my 2 websites

www.gamerxextreme.webs.com
Its a site where I do all things that have something to do with video games

www.japanintendo.webs.com
This is a site where I post things that have something to do with japanese gaming

RPG Hacker

Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Btw.: Does anyone know a good emulator to play this on? I have tried this on VBA and No$GBA, but in both emulators the sound lag (or was it input lag?) was too big and the game wasn't very playable. I still have the game on my GBA flashcard and it works much better on an actual handheld, but my NDS is broken and I don't feel like playing it on my old GBA without backlight. And it might take some time before I can afford to get a GBA SP for cheap. Or is it maybe a matter of settings? I tried playing around with the emulator settings, but didn't find anything helpful.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played just fine on VBA (you can also look into VBA-M). It may be that what you think is correct timing is actually not what the game is expecting. I've never played this on real hardware, so I can't be certain.

RPG Hacker

Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've played all three games on real hardware and they pretty much have the same timing. You always have to press the exact same moment the beat (or whatever signal) kicks in. On VBA I had to press slightly before the beat. Of course you can get used to it (especially if you haven't played a game from the series on real hardware before), but after all that's not how you're supposed to play the game and to me the fun factor is low, playing it this way.

EDIT:
From VBA-M About page:
VBA-M said:
OpenAL and XAudio support
On Windows Vista and 7, directsound was showing some perceivable audio lag, the OpenAL and Xaudio API's allow us to get lower latency audio on these operating systems.
I guess this might be what I'm looking for.

EDIT:
Nope. Doesn't work out, unfortunately. I've tried both: XAudio and OpenAL (and in combination with either Direct3D or OpenGL). I just never got good timing. At this point I'm not sure whether it's sound lag or input lag, probably a combination of both. And I'm not sure whether it's the emulator's or my hardware's fault. And just to make sure I also tried on my original GBA with the flashcard today. Got a perfect on the first game easily, whereas on the emulator I don't even get through the tutorial without lots of failures.

Reactions: 1 person

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip, Manasword. I've condensed the font by using the Pictochat font.

ZoACe.png

I don't believe in fake screenshots. What you see is what you get -- the most current version has messed up coloring and spacing for the "rank" because I was moving it around and trying different things. Also, the exclamation point doesn't have fixed spacing yet. And yes, the ROM does not yet have English text for any other game yet.

My to-do list (so I can keep track!):

Fix the last bit of font spacing (! and other special characters)
Fix the rank text
Fix the atlas script I have (not all characters are currently supported)
Set a read breakpoint on the Marcher mini-game for the larger font tiles. Then find out how the game denotes large text so I can replace it with large English text.
Paste in the completed translations for demo 1 (including the tiny bit of text about stereo/mono sound)
Write the untranslated "attract" text at the title screen
Re-do the text for the rhythm test and Karate Master mini-game (they were made with a wider font in mind. Spacing is messed up and I can be a little more verbose.)
Release a WIP patch and test it
Make a YouTube video to promote it once it's all tested and working

WatagiKankens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I made a website but its called rhythmtengoku.webs.com and it says rhythm tengoku simulation and doesn't look very professional either (i don't know why i called it that) but I can change that but I need someone to make some coding for me or I could use wix.com which is more customizable but if I made a website with wix.com the url would be www.wix.com/chillv64/rhythmtengoku which would be way to much to type in. I have a question, Is there a free web hosting site that is very customizable but doesn't require any knowledge of coding? if so PM me

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad to see you doing this! I only learned about this series a few months ago, but the Wii version was so lovely that I wanted to play the others.

I played what you have so far, and I can't find any problems with the first level. I'll try a few more times to get the two highest rankings on the rhythm test, to confirm those work. I'm not up for any hacking, translating or editing, but I'd be happy to playtest what you have and confirm the levels are bug-free. I hope you can find a voice actor for the marching stages! It would be wonderful if this could come out as a commercial-quality translation when it is finished.

paperycandy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes! I can't believe someone's actually translating this! I love Rhythm Heaven and would love to be able to read everything :P
I can be a beta tester if you still need some. Thanks for taking this project on!

Trickart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This project is interesting!
I'm Japanese and can speak a little English.so I think I can help a little.
This game often use the word "ノリ","ノリ" means the sense of rhythm and groove.(I can't describe this word well.)
ZoACe.png

Trickart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for BrianXP7!

"Health and Safety Screen" is the same as those that appear in the Wii.

WARNING-HEALTH AND SAFETY

BEFOR PLAYING, READ YOUR OPERATIONS

MANUAL FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION

ABOUT YOUR HEALTH AND SAFETY

Also online at
www.nintendo.com/healthsafety/

Press any button to continue.

WS0000.JPG

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trickart, thanks for the help! However, you should be glad to know that the text has already been translated. Some text in the game is stored as images. (Everything you translated, even though it looks like text, is an image.) We don't know how to edit these images to be in English. That's the problem.

When we finally figure out how to edit these images, some translation help might be needed. I'll make a post if so.

By the way, the health/safety screen is also made up of images. Once I can edit that, it will be where I put information about the hack.
"This free hack was created with the help of ....
beta 1 8/30/12"
Also, Cracker will be working in the next few days on a hack that skips the screen very quickly. So no pressing A will be needed to pass the screen.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metronome.jpg

I successfully got the "Metronome" message, but the very high message eludes me. I'm getting around 83 as my high score. Any idea what score the "Atomic Clock" message appears at? Even using save states, this is very difficult to do!

I'll post the other message as soon as I get it. I've been using save states to save some key points like the victory screens, which should make debugging easier in the future (especially for the Perfect certificates).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended