Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beta 5b - Toss Boys and Fireworks
http://www.mediafire.com/?852ho34jcgplcn6

SirNiko did a huge amount of work for this one. Be sure to thank him. Sorry it's a little late. I fixed a bug in the studio with the checkmarks. You probably won't even notice the spacing is now correct.

Known bugs:
The text for perfect campaigns for "Love's Honey Sweet Angel of Love" doesn't fit in the text box.
Comments that are contrary to the main one in white (like "but you were good on the slow ones!" sometimes don't display correctly.
Graphical text cannot currently be edited or translated. Some text is still in Japanese because of this.
This is not a complete translation. It should be complete for any text one could see by playing the first 26 games. This includes some E-mails, Drum Lessons, Endless Games, and Rhythm Toys. Any content one would find after the first 26 games is not translated yet. The "Cafe," "Credits," and "Live Performance" features are untranslated as well.
A side-effect of the way we hack means that games after Night Walk will have either a very basic text translation or no text at all. If you want to play with the original Japanese text, keep an original backup of the game.
(NP) means (No practice.). "Spaceball Game" does have practice. The song doesn't start until you hit a few balls correctly.
The*Bon Odori: Sprites flicker at one part because there are too many letters on-screen.
Studio (from the main menu) - Many song titles are missing. Some song titles don't match their localized names. Will be fixed towards the end of the project.
In a list of comments at the end of a game, all comments will be capitalized. This leads to comments like "Also, You nailed every move!"

Known bugs with the game itself (not the patch):
When a perfect campaign starts, the ticking of the flow score doesn't stop until you press A.

Reactions: weavile001

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oBtvQ.gif

0Nk8p.gif

v5uq8.gif

Demo 5 is here! It's complete through Remix 5. From now on, we're focusing on translating the Cafe. We'll still release one new translated game per week, but we are going to spend most of our time translating all of the text found in the Cafe.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?39ml695nscjubiq

Known bugs:
The "go for a perfect" box for Remix 3, which unlocks the song that we now call "Love's Angel," is broken. A minor ROM hack is probably required to fix it.
Comments that are contrary to the main one in white (like "You were bad with the fast ones." / "But you were good on the slow ones!") sometimes appear garbled between the conjunction ("but") and the comment.
Graphical text cannot currently be edited or translated. Some text is still in Japanese because of this.
This is not a complete translation. It should be complete for any text one could see by playing the first 30 games. This includes some E-mails, Drum Lessons, Endless Games, and Rhythm Toys. Any content one would find after the first 30 games is not translated yet. The "Cafe," "Credits," and "Live Performance" features are untranslated as well.
A side-effect of the way we hack means that games after Remix 5 will have either a very basic text translation or no text at all. If you want to play with the original Japanese text, keep an original backup of the game.
(NP) means (No practice.). "Spaceball Game" does have practice. The song doesn't start until you hit a few balls correctly.
The*Bon Odori: Sprites flicker at one part because there are too many letters on-screen.
Studio (from the main menu) - Many song titles are missing. Some song titles don't match their localized names. Will be fixed towards the end of the project.
In a list of comments at the end of a game, all comments will be capitalized. This leads to comments like "Also, You nailed every move!"

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drum Lessons are completely up to snuff at this point. Barring players testing this out and identifying any context-specific issues, I think those are completely finished. If you've ignored them before because you couldn't understand the words, I strongly recommend giving them a try now! The drum lessons are complex enough that they very nearly double the amount of content in the overall game. Successfully pulling off one of the drum lessons is extremely satisfying, and you can even use what you've learned to play along with the sound test with one of the many unlockable drums from the perfect campaign!

The Cafe is going to be a bear, since it has so much text to it, and Bon Dance is looking like it'll be a stretch, since it suffers from a tremendous amount of flickering due to too much onscreen text. Hopefully you folks will be patient while we sort through all these hurdles!

And, of course, the sprite text continues to elude us.

Reactions: vizolover

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're translating one game per week. So this week you'll get Clappy Trio 2. Next week is Bon Odori 2.

We are focusing on translating the Cafe right now. It has a lot of text. When we finish the Cafe we'll have more time to spend on translating games. So when the Cafe is done we can go back to two games per week.

edit:

Beta 6a - Trio on Tour
http://www.mediafire.com/?be4wwv9tz5w5g9k

7Y07G.gif

and I fixed a minor bug! The text used to not line up - it was 1 pixel off between the first and second row. I made the "prime" symbol ( ′ ) blank and edited its width to be 1 pixel.

zVXVi.png

THE MOST IMPORTANT BUGFIX EVER

Reactions: vizolover

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
edit: Beta 6b - The Bon Dance
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c9o3b9x7bdd13qv

5WZh4.gif

This level is hard. I haven't even passed it yet. Remember to follow the music, not what is on the screen. This was true on the Japanese version and on the English Bon*Odori, but seems to be especially true here.

Progress is good on the Cafe. We have a date in mind for when it will be finished, but we don't want to disappoint anyone by announcing it and then missing our internal deadline. We are working on it, though!

---

Is anyone interested in helping the project? No hacking skill needed!

The original font for Rhythm Tengoku was very wide, and the credits only had space for a first initial and a last name. Since our font is small enough, we can credit using first and last names. It's easy enough to guess that "Executive Producer - S. Iwata" corresponds to Satoru Iwata, but some of these people in the credits are unknown. I have 10 names left that remain unidentified.

They are listed in the credits for various jobs. Most of them were "debuggers," people who don't exercise any creative control over a game. They just test the game for glitches and errors. What I do is look through credits for other related games and see if the same first letter / last name pop up anywhere else.

The names are:
S. Adachi
D. Adachi
Y. Fujikawa
N. Hashida
A. Kenmochi
D. Morita
Y. Nakai
M. Nomura
A. Shimizubata
K. Umeda

I've already looked through the credits for Rhythm Heaven DS and Wii. I've also examined WarioWare games (including WW, WW Twisted, WW Touched, and WW Smooth Moves, but not the GameCube game or DIY).

The next places to look are any other games by SPD Group 1. Does anyone have a Play-Yan or a Play-Yan Micro? If those devices have credits, they would be excellent places to look for these names. Since I don't have either of those, it would be extremely helpful if someone either looked through the credits themselves or filmed them and uploaded the video. Then I could examine the credits and try to find these names.

Outside of the Play-Yan, I think the next places to look would be other Nintendo-developed GBA games. These are, in order of priority:

Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (2005)
DK: King of Swing (2005)
Napoleon (2001)
Kuru Kuru Kururin (2001)

---

Original post:
Awesome! In the next week I'll upload the files we've been using so you can make your own translation.

edit: I'll edit this post later tonight with the files you want.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also regarding Bon Dance, when translating the game from Japanese to English the character count on the screen increased by a tremendous margin. A lot of editing was done to get this down to the point it doesn't flicker.

A long term fix would be to edit the font used for Bon Odori (it appears to be used in Bon Odori levels only) so that Don and Pan can be displayed with fewer than three sprites. That would allow us to use more letters without exceeding limits on the number of sprites onscreen.

I'm not happy with the current version of this level, and apologize that it isn't better than it is. It is my goal to improve it before the final release to ensure that it neither flickers nor suffers from a substandard localization job!

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bG3MN.gif

edit: Beta 6c - Cosmo Dance

The Cafe is still going strong.

Here are the files we use to make the translation. They are a little messy. Anyway, you need Atlas for the files to make translations. Pelrun and Spikeman seem to have created the original script. Always credit people if you use their work.

More ROMhacking info. I'm not going to do your work for you but I can answer basic questions. Currently, the script doesn't support the characters you would need for a Spanish translation: ñ is an obvious example.

A long term fix would be to edit the font used for Bon Odori (it appears to be used in Bon Odori levels only) so that Don and Pan can be displayed with fewer than three sprites. That would allow us to use more letters without exceeding limits on the number of sprites onscreen.
I hope we are able to do this. With a ROM hacker, we'd definitely be able to. I'm not sure if the font for Bon Odori is compressed (can't edit without help) or uncompressed (we can edit without help). The regular fonts aren't compressed, at least...

JacobMachlis

Trophies
XP
Wow. I was looking for this for ages. I really wanted to do an LP of this game but didn't know japanese and I figured people would waant to know what the text meant. But now I can finally do the first English LP of this wondrous game. (I mean, if it's okay with W Hat for me to use his translation in an LP..)

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3RtjMAj.gif

edit: Beta 6d - Turbo Tap Trial
This week is Turbo Tap Trial.
http://www.mediafire.com/?nr3ga49f1hv78mm

Rap Men will get a proper translation for February 1st. Rap Women will get the same treatment for the 2/8/13 beta.

---

Wow. I was looking for this for ages. I really wanted to do an LP of this game but didn't know japanese and I figured people would want to know what the text meant. But now I can finally do the first English LP of this wondrous game. (I mean, if it's okay with W Hat for me to use his translation in an LP..)
Go for it. I've seen a few LPs and one-off videos of the game in English already. Of course, the translation isn't done yet.
Cool!

edit: It took the world's top cryptologists, but I managed to crack Rap Men. (The normal text is "PM 3:00" and I changed it to "AM 3:00" as a test.)

UFmpqxF.png
yLNxdG7.png

We didn't make the script, which is the file that includes every piece of text. Someone else did, and we are eternally grateful for that.

Turns out our script didn't include this text and it's really easy to edit. Oops.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beta 6e - Rap Men? What?

http://www.mediafire.com/?gj0nkdu6j34238j

We go back to column 4's game, Rap Men, this week because we figured out how to edit the in-game rap text. I'm pretty happy with how the rap turned out, but SirNiko might want to improve it even more. (He is responsible for nearly any text involving rhyming, lyrics, and so on. He rocks.)

Anyway, Rap Women should be here next week. Sorry for the delay.

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Beta 6e - Rap Men? What?

http://www.mediafire.com/?gj0nkdu6j34238j

We go back to column 4's game, Rap Men, this week because we figured out how to edit the in-game rap text. I'm pretty happy with how the rap turned out, but SirNiko might want to improve it even more. (He is responsible for nearly any text involving rhyming, lyrics, and so on. He rocks.)

Anyway, Rap Women should be here next week. Sorry for the delay.
rap women is the 3rd best, behind power calligraphy and the bon dance.

Darros

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On Rap Men, the second last input, "save the rest for me", is the wrong color. It comes up as purple, not yellow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey