The Noob :(
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was looking at the file type for the music, and it is ADX, which if I'm not mistaken have seen before somewhere.

I was wondering if it would be possible to swap out the japanese songs for the english ones, if we could convert the songs to .ADX?

the songs are easily located in the SND folder, and are respectivley named song00.adx, song01.adx, song02.adx, etc.

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Apparently Sega used it as well for later sonic games, so says wiki.

I found a -> .ADX converter, I might try this out, as I have the OST to Rhapsody

My sister, who loves Rhapsody songs in english, is all in an uproar about how it is in Japanese because she can't sing along, lol.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
CPhantom said:

I found a -> .ADX converter, I might try this out, as I have the OST to Rhapsody

My sister, who loves Rhapsody songs in english, is all in an uproar about how it is in Japanese because she can't sing along, lol.

Haha, I know how she feels. Sometimes I sing along to the music I listen to, and I always feel awkward when j-rock starts playing.

But yeah, it'd be great if you found some time to see if converting the original OST to ADX and then replacing the files would work.

Either way, I'll probably keep an eye on this thread.

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
CPhantom said:

Haha, I know how she feels. Sometimes I sing along to the music I listen to, and I always feel awkward when j-rock starts playing.

But yeah, it'd be great if you found some time to see if converting the original OST to ADX and then replacing the files would work.

Either way, I'll probably keep an eye on this thread.
Well, I'm going to be messing around to see if the songs actually work. I need to know which songs are which file. Since they are generically labeled as 00, 01, 02, etc.

I think they may actually be labeled to the OST, since a lot of the song files go up to the 26 songs from the OST.

I'll experiment some more and get back here.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i do think you'll encounter the reason why they left it in japanese.

from what i heard, a few new songs where added.
you can't get those in english.

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, if that is the case those can stay the way they were, but I thought this was just a total port besides for the battle system?

From the looks of it, there are less songs, 14 to be exact. On the OST there are 26. So I'm not sure.

EDIT: scratch that, it also includes background music >.>;

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I got it to work! However, timing is a bit off vs. the Japanese timing o.o;; so the song ended abbruptly, I'll get a video here in a bit.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CPhantom said:
Well I got it to work! However, timing is a bit off vs. the Japanese timing o.o;; so the song ended abbruptly, I'll get a video here in a bit.
Wait, this works?
ohmy.gif

I guess the timing will have to be done via a hack. But that's pretty impressive that you can switch in the English songs!
biggrin.gif

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
CPhantom said:
Wait, this works?
ohmy.gif

I guess the timing will have to be done via a hack. But that's pretty impressive that you can switch in the English songs!
biggrin.gif
It wasn't to hard either, I'll show you what I mean by the song ending abbruptly too, I'm going to record it on my cell phone to hear what it sounds like on the DS speakers :}

EDIT: Sending the videos now. Two will be posted, one just showing the song, other showing the Quick ending. It's really only like a 5 second cut. Not to much of a pain. Hopefully some of the long songs work well, I'll have to actually start playing the game to get to those songs, lol

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I think this is a triple post. But anyway, I'm noticing the time differences in some songs, such as Evil Queen, are HUGE and makes the song and animation look horrid together.

Do you think it'd be possible to edit the animation to be extended in time? Or do you think it's just to hard to do?

Jei

Translator and romhacker wannabe
Trophies
Website
space.offgamers.com
XP
Country
Brazil
CPhantom said:
Sorry, I think this is a triple post. But anyway, I'm noticing the time differences in some songs, such as Evil Queen, are HUGE and makes the song and animation look horrid together.

Do you think it'd be possible to edit the animation to be extended in time? Or do you think it's just to hard to do?
If you need the animations to be longer, why not just shortening the song to make it fit the animation?

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jei said:
CPhantom said:

If you need the animations to be longer, why not just shortening the song to make it fit the animation?
Well, I'm actually working like that right now. It's just it'd be nice to have the full song, ya know? Either way though, this will end up with the music, lol.

EDIT: When editing, usually it's just cutting out empty pieces, I'm making sure it merges pretty good though.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Don't these songs only appear in random cutscenes throughout the game? I dunno... I just don't see the point in going through all the trouble just to change songs in a couple cutscenes. More power to you though.

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Warcueid said:
Don't these songs only appear in random cutscenes throughout the game? I dunno... I just don't see the point in going through all the trouble just to change songs in a couple cutscenes. More power to you though.
They are in between parts of the game, but they are also really neat. Once you see them, you can watch them from the menu as well apparently.

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess its not a big deal if a few songs are left in Japanese, but swapping ADX files shouldn't be a huge issue, it was pretty easy to do for TWEWY as I toyed around with replacing some of the ingame songs with higher quality CD versions and remixes.

I guess the biggest deal is making a script that given the soundtrack CD/files and the ROM can repeat the whole process automatically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs